Data Center Ops Engineer
At Pandora, we're a unique collection of engineers, musicians, designers, marketers, and world-class sellers with a common goal: to enrich lives by delivering effortless personalized music enjoyment and discovery. People—the listeners, the artists, and our employees—are at the center of our mission and everything we do. Actually, employees at Pandora are a lot like the service itself: bright, eclectic, and innovative. Collaboration is the foundation of our workforce, and we’re looking for smart individuals who are self-motivated and passionate to join us. Be a part of the engine that creates the soundtrack to life. Discover your future at Pandora!
We have a terrific opportunity in our Technical Operations team for an intelligent and motivated Datacenter Operations Engineer who is enthusiastic about datacenter deployment and site reliability for large-scale consumer online services. As a member of our Site Operations team, you will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of our co-location datacenters and assume a critical role in maintaining the overall uptime, performance, and capacity of the Pandora service. You will be able to bring your solid experience to bear in supporting the various services we manage and take on interesting and mission-critical projects as part of a fast-paced, highly collaborative team. We hold ourselves to high standards, and take pride in our work. You should be dedicated to excellence and have a strong sense of personal responsibility. This position is primarily on-site at our datacenter facilities in San Jose, CA, with occasional travel to our various datacenter locations, around the country.
- 100% hands-on with datacenter infrastructure provisioning and server/network equipment deployments.
- Work alongside a group of data-center operations engineers in accomplishing the various day-to-day datacenter related tasks and facilitating new build-outs.
- Perform initial configuration for various server, network and infrastructure related equipment.
- Perform stringent hardware qualification testing on new hardware platforms and certify them for production deployments.
- Troubleshoot and remedy hardware issues, document findings and provide detailed RCA reports.
- Manage RMA processes with various vendors.
- Maintain an up-to-date inventory list of all hardware equipment between all our co-locations.
- Assist with co-location capacity and growth planning as well as rack and server layouts.
- Implement best-practice methodology for maintaining a datacenter environment.
- Provide mentoring support to junior datacenter engineers.
- Participate in a 24x7x365 on-call rotation.
- Up to 15% travel.
- Minimum 4 years experience working in enterprise scale datacenters.
- Knowledgeable in datacenter best practices including cabling, power balancing, inventory tracking, and more.
- Experience in performing hardware troubleshooting in a large scale server environment.
- Hands-on professional experience and working knowledge of Unix and IP networking.
- Basic scripting skills in at least one programming language. (Bash, Perl, Python)
- Meticulous attention to detail and strong organization skills.
- Take pride in keeping a clean and tidy work environment within the datacenter/co-location.
- Self-motivated and able to work efficiently without close supervision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as, strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to lift and carry equipment up to 75 pounds safely and reliably on a regular basis.
- Ability to travel occasionally to our Chicago, IL, Ashburn, VA and other datacenter locations around the country.
BA/BS Information Technology, Computer Science or a related field. (or equivalent experience)
IT Certifications such as A+, Server+, Network+, ITIL or similar a plus.
Pandora is committed to diversity in its workforce. Pandora is an equal employment employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, veteran or disability status. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Pandora is also a VEVRAA federal contractor. Pandora requests priority referrals of protected veterans from each ESDS, as required by regulation.
If you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to apply for a position, please contact us by sending an email to [email protected]. This email box is designed to assist job seekers who require a reasonable accommodation to the application process. A response to your request may take up to two business days.
In your email, please include the following:
- The specific accommodation requested to complete the employment application.
- The location or office to which you would like to apply.
- The subject of the email should read "Request for Reasonable Accommodation".
Meet Some of Pandora's Employees
VP, Head of Music Maker Strategy & Operations
In his role, Mike is focused on opening up Pandora to music makers and helping artists maximize their use of the platform with content and live events.
Back to top