At Pandora, we're a unique collection of engineers, musicians, designers, marketers, and world-class sellers with a common goal: to enrich lives by delivering effortless personalized music enjoyment and discovery. People—the listeners, the artists, and our employees—are at the center of our mission and everything we do. Actually, employees at Pandora are a lot like the service itself: bright, eclectic, and innovative. Collaboration is the foundation of our workforce, and we’re looking for smart individuals who are self-motivated and passionate to join us. Be a part of the engine that creates the soundtrack to life. Discover your future at Pandora!
Pandora is seeking a highly motivated, proactive attorney for a unique opportunity to join the business transactions legal team. The right person for this position must be a team player with highly collaborative interpersonal skills. This individual will take pride in personal excellence, display a high level of confidence, energy and possess a proven ability to thrive in an environment with frequently shifting priorities. This is a great opportunity to be a key strategic player in an exciting, fast-paced and fun company. This position is responsible for the negotiating and drafting of various content and music related agreements and rendering legal advice with respect to copyright and music related issues.
- Work closely with the content licensing team in negotiating, structuring and drafting various content acquisition deals for the Pandora services, including agreements for songwriters, publishers, non-music content providers, performing rights organizations, recording artists and record labels
- Work closely with the artist marketing, event production and content production teams in negotiating, structuring and drafting artist engagement and production deals, including agreements with recording artists, talent agencies, vendors, suppliers and contractors.
- Effectively negotiate and interact with key players in the music industry (business and legal) and efficiently discuss risk and tradeoffs with other members of the Pandora team, including finance, accounting, tax, engineering, product, royalty reporting and senior-level executives under time-sensitive conditions
- Advise Pandora team members regarding various business and legal matters including copyright, contractual rights and obligations and legal claims
- Coordinate and assist in managing music and/or copyright litigation, disputes and relevant rate proceedings. Assist in responding to subpoenas, document requests and other formal requests for information including negotiating the scope of any response, consulting with internal business partners and obtaining, reviewing and producing documents
- Build strong internal client relationships and generate client satisfaction through strategic thinking and risk analysis.
- A Juris Doctorate from a nationally recognized law school
- Admission to at least one state bar (State Bar of California preferred)
- 3+ years of experience practicing music law
- Strong law firm or in-house experience/training
- Proven, in-depth knowledge and experience drafting and negotiating complex agreements relating to the creation, distribution, sale, marketing and financing of music
- Intimate knowledge of copyright law
- Demonstrated strong ability to collaborate effectively and influence internal company clients
- Strong analytical capabilities and judgment, even when the rules are unclear and the issues are of first impression
- Ability to manage a varied, high-volume workload efficiently and smoothly, operate autonomously (without outside counsel support) and remain cool and levelheaded in pressurized situations
- Knowledge of record label and publishing administration
- Practical knowledge of the music and technology industries
- Ability to make decisions and pivot quickly and fluidly, think practically and be solution-oriented
- Curiosity and willingness to tackle matters outside area of expertise
- Able to recognize and respond quickly and pragmatically to urgent situations and demanding clients
- Able to take rational business risk
- Outgoing, optimistic, a self-starter and flexible
Pandora is committed to diversity in its workforce. Pandora is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, veteran or disability status. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Pandora is also a VEVRAA federal contractor. Pandora requests priority referrals of protected veterans from each ESDS, as required by regulation.
If you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to apply for a position, please contact us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org This email box is designed to assist job seekers who require a reasonable accommodation to the application process. A response to your request may take up to two business days.
In your email, please include the following:
- The specific accommodation requested to complete the employment application.
- The location or office to which you would like to apply
- The subject of the email should read "Request for Reasonable Accommodation".
Back to top