Back- end Java Developer
At Pandora, we're a unique collection of engineers, musicians, designers, marketers, and world-class sellers with a common goal: to enrich lives by delivering effortless personalized music enjoyment and discovery. People—the listeners, the artists, and our employees—are at the center of our mission and everything we do. Actually, employees at Pandora are a lot like the service itself: bright, eclectic, and innovative. Collaboration is the foundation of our workforce, and we’re looking for smart individuals who are self-motivated and passionate to join us. Be a part of the engine that creates the soundtrack to life. Discover your future at Pandora!
We have a great position available for an outstanding Software Developer working in Enterprise Systems. In this role you will be responsible for supporting, maintaining, and enhancing our back-end technologies that drive our automated revenue recognition processes. This includes understanding our current data model, performing enhancements to our Java code or database performance, and working with internal customers to troubleshoot issues with these systems. There is also a potential to grow into building, enhancing, and supporting Pandora’s enterprise integrations landscape, using Mule ESB and related tools.
The Enterprise Systems team works with various other departments in the company, and delivers new capabilities, optimizations, and automations that make our back-office operations more streamlined and effective. As a member of our highly motivated and collaborative team, you will be working with business stakeholders, business analysts, project managers, and developers, and should be dedicated to excellence and have a strong sense of personal responsibility. Strong written and verbal communication skills are a must. This role has excellent potential for growth and high exposure to a variety of professional experiences.
- Support, enhance, and create new functionalities using Java that allow our Finance team to quickly and accurately process revenue data for subscription services
- Support and improve our Postgres databases that store and retrieve this data. This includes data modelling, schema changes, creating / altering / dropping tables, writing triggers and functions, and tuning performance using indexes, etc. Strong SQL skills are a must.
- Design basic UI screens that allow the Finance team to view, edit, and save data to the Postgres database
- Provide technical expertise and collaboration with the team to maximize effectiveness in producing top-notch applications
- Support applications and integrations already in Production by troubleshooting, providing and deploying bug fixes, interacting with users to explain issues, etc.
- Potential to grow into building, enhancing, and supporting enterprise integrations using Mule ESB
- Participate in daily team Agile Scrum sessions, and utilize JIRA for work tracking
- Peer-review other team members' development work in order to ensure adherence to standards and continuity
- 5+ years of demonstrated expertise in engineering Java applications is a must; Experience using Spring and Hibernate frameworks desired
- 3+ years working with RDBMS systems, preferably Postgres, with demonstrated SQL skill. Candidate should have high confidence and solid work experience in all operational database activities (creating and understanding ERDs, changing schemas, tuning performance, etc.)
- 3+ years of experience in deployment and administration of J2EE Application Servers and Containers, e.g. Tomcat, Spring, etc.
- 3+ years of experience working confidently in Unix / Linux environments
- Experience with and understanding of build automation tools such as Maven and Jenkins, and their role within the SDLC
- Coding and debugging against Java APIs. Contributes, and has open source examples available for review on Git, Github, Butbucket, etc.
- Experience with unit testing automation technologies such as JUnit, Mockito, DBUnit, etc.
- Experience with SOA, ESB, JMS messaging, transactions, XML and/or Web Services and integration technologies in an enterprise environment are a nice-to-have (experience using Mule ESB / Anypoint Studio / CloudHub is a big plus)
- Ability to quickly build POCs / prototypes / wireframes to assist in designing high-level product concepts and capabilities
- Understanding of security threats to web-based systems, and knowledge of how to protect against them
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills are a must, including the ability to explain technical issues to a variety of audiences such as enterprise architects, developers, business stakeholders, and executives
- Core analytical skills related to understanding and analyzing business use cases
- Comfortable working with Change Management and Release Management processes.
- Big data experience with Hive / Hadoop and HDFS is a plus
Meet Some of Pandora's Employees
VP, Head of Music Maker Strategy & Operations
In his role, Mike is focused on opening up Pandora to music makers and helping artists maximize their use of the platform with content and live events.
Back to top