Director of Purchasing (Protein)
At Panda, we all share a common mission: "Deliver exceptional Asian dining experiences by building an organization where people are inspired to better their lives." We invest in our people because great people run great operations that will exceed our guests' expectations. Talk to any of our associates and you will experience a culture dedicated to its mission and our five fundamental values- Proactive, Respect/Win-Win, Growth, Great Operations, and Giving.
Panda Restaurant Group includes the original Panda Inn fine dining restaurants, Panda Express, our Gourmet Chinese food concept served in a fast casual environment, and Hibachi San, our Japanese grill concept. The family owned and operated company is still run by founders Andrew and Peggy Cherng.
Panda offers competitive benefits and rewarding opportunities, from entry-level positions to management. We have restaurant positions available nationwide and support center positions in Rosemead, CA. Come join the nation's largest and fastest growing Asian restaurant company.
The Director, Purchasing (Protein) is responsible for achieving strategic optimal arrangements related to purchasing all protein products such as beef, poultry, and seafood. This position's portfolio of products is high in dollars expended (approximately $200 million in annual expenditures) and in its level of impact on the company's financial performance and reputation. This position executes the selection, evaluation, and negotiation for all PRG protein items, ensuring that the suppliers selected fit Panda's culture and philosophy, have the necessary capacity, and provide the items at the best price and highest quality. This position also leads SCM staff involved with purchasing protein items.
- Executes the company's protein procurement programs in support of its business strategy and plan. Identifies suppliers and arranges optimal contracts in terms of pricing, quality, timing, and supply availability over the term of the contract. Interacts with the highest level of executives at supplier companies. Advises senior leadership on the availability of specific products and pricing, pre-qualifying new suppliers and facilities in terms of price, capacity, and quality. Ensures costs are within budget.
- Assists the Vice President, SCM in the design and execution of the five-year supply chain strategic plan, anticipating business requirements. The plan includes identifying supplier sources, their purchasing capacity, and any industry and regulatory issues. Informs the VP and senior leadership on protein industry insights, such as tariffs, import/export limitations, government regulations, Act of God situations, mergers, acquisitions, personnel changes, new item introduction, etc.
- Recruits, selects, and develops an effective SCM team involved with protein purchasing. Provides leadership, coaching and development to the team to meet the department's people planning and development goals.
- Identifies new suppliers to support future growth. Attends supplier and industry conferences to identify potential suppliers, domestic and international and gain industry insights. Evaluates potential suppliers in coordination with FSQA concerning the viability of their product and acceptability of their manufacturing facility. Negotiates with new suppliers over cost and collaborates with logistics to bring product(s) into distribution.
- Maintains a strong professional relationship between suppliers and the company. Communicates with suppliers concerning all aspects of the partnership including PRG philosophy and growth plans, and aligns suppliers with Panda to support our growth. Evaluates the effectiveness and fitness of suppliers to determine our procurement strategy.
- Leads or supports cross-functional projects with departments such as FSQA, Product Development, Marketing, Legal, Finance, and Operations related to product specifications, quality inquiries, product recall, sourcing new ingredients, testing new products, and phasing in products within distribution.
- Arranges for global sourcing of protein items for both domestic and international operations. Manage protein procurement for international expansion covering company-owned, franchise and licensed stores.
- Tracks commodities markets on prices and supply and determines strategy and direction for optimal procurement program. Recommends best timing to introduce and promote new protein products when market is most favorable.
Panda Restaurant Group's culture is strongly guided by our Mission and Values, highlighted on the Panda websites. We recommend all interested candidates become familiar with our Mission and Values, as well as the principals of The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, by Stephen Covey.
Panda Restaurant Group, Inc is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Bachelor's degree in business or equivalent field required; MBA preferred
- Minimum ten years of experience in Supply Chain Management, preferably in a multi-unit food service and/or manufacturing organization
Meet Some of Panda Restaurant Group's Employees
VP, Information Systems
As VP of Information Systems, Bryan oversees Panda’s infrastructure, network, and security. He makes sure each employee at Panda understands how best to use Panda’s technology to their advantage.
Back to top