Director, Concept Design
At Panda, we all share a common mission: "Deliver exceptional Asian dining experiences by building an organization where people are inspired to better their lives." We invest in our people because great people run great operations that will exceed our guests' expectations. Talk to any of our associates and you will experience a culture dedicated to its mission and our five fundamental values- Proactive, Respect/Win-Win, Growth, Great Operations, and Giving.
Panda Restaurant Group includes the original Panda Inn fine dining restaurants, Panda Express, our Gourmet Chinese food concept served in a fast casual environment, and Hibachi San, our Japanese grill concept. The family owned and operated company is still run by founders Andrew and Peggy Cherng.
Panda offers competitive benefits and rewarding opportunities, from entry-level positions to management. We have restaurant positions available nationwide and support center positions in Rosemead, CA. Come join the nation's largest and fastest growing Asian restaurant company.
Summary of Job Scope and Expectations:
The Director, Concept Design is responsible for design ideation for the future of the PRG brand within RD, including research and development of the style and look of the stores. Working closely with the Executive Director of Design & SSG and with the Chief Development Officer, this position develops and manages new design concepts. This position also researches changes in style and look within the restaurant industry. The Director, Concept Design researches and recommends the materials to be used for new designs and determines the design cost. This position also develops new furniture and palette designs. The Director, Concept Design manages the relationship with architectural and engineering consultants and provides input into construction methodology and feedback on contract terms. This Director leads a team of concept design managers and professionals, coaching and developing associates to elevate their performance.
The essential functions in this job description are not all-inclusive of this job's duties and responsibilities. Reliable and dependable attendance is required.
- Responsible for design ideation for the future of the PRG brand within RD, including research and development of the style and look of the stores. Working closely with the Executive Director of Design & SSG and with the Chief Development Officer, this position develops and manages new design concepts.
- Leads Concept Design associates, managing, coaching, and developing managers and professionals. Responsible for hiring and retaining staff and developing and elevating associate performance to support the company's growth strategies
- Participates in RD's long-range planning effort, generating design concepts as the basis for enhancing the business.
- Researches changes in style and look within the restaurant industry, recommending the materials to be used for new designs and determining the design cost. Monitors global trends to anticipate future store designs. Develops new furniture and palette designs.
- Manages the relationship with architectural and engineering consultants and provides input into construction methodology and feedback on contract terms.
- Integrates Concept Design services with other departments and implements process improvement.
- Bachelor's degree in Architecture or Interior Design or related field required; advanced degree in related field preferred
- Minimum twelve to fifteen years of design experience in a retail/hospitality environment with increasing management responsibility; minimum ten years of concept design management experience in a retail/hospitality environment
- Successful completion of annual store training
Meet Some of Panda Restaurant Group's Employees
Victoria leads the day-to-day operations at Panda’s Innovation Kitchen, where she makes sure both the customer-facing and back-end processes of the store are running smoothly.
Back to top