Sr. Software Engineer (DevOps & Microservices)
Palo Alto Networks® is the fastest-growing security company in history. We offer the chance to be part of an important mission: ending breaches and protecting our way of digital life. If you are a motivated, intelligent, creative, and hardworking individual, then this job is for you!
Not your parent’s IT!
The traditional IT organization is a thing of the past. As we move more and more into the cloud i.e. storage, computing, platforms, networking, systems, etc., the IT organization has become an Engineering organization.
Palo Alto Networks® has been rapidly moving in this direction and our IT Infrastructure team is no exception. As our IT Application Developers convert all of our internal applications to microservices, our Site Reliability Engineer team develops the pathways to move these microservices to our cloud platform. The Senior Software Engineer (SRE) will be the critical link between IT Applications and the IT Infrastructure Platform, building Infrastructure as Code and working in partnership with the owner of the Platform.
Working with other Engineering teams, you will help architect, build, and maintain microservices and cloud apps in clusters across multiple geographic regions. You will own development efforts in each sprint from planning to delivery and be expected to take on new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward. This opportunity will have you working with product engineering on design and implementation of large scale distributed systems.
- Support microservices before they go live through system design consulting, technical vision to SRE team members in deploying and maintaining microservices and frameworks, capacity planning, create and review operational runbooks
- Review and participate in application performance analysis and tuning, service-capacity-planning and demand forecasting
- Automating our alerts configuration tool for Datadog to work with dynamic thresholds
- Diagnose and troubleshoot complex mesh of microservices and web apps handling high volume of transactions
- Troubleshoot issues across the entire stack - Application, microservice layer, Kernel and network
- 5-7 yrs webapp development experience in: Java, C, C++, Python, C#
- Experience with algorithms, data structures, complexity analysis of algorithms and software design
- Proficient in Terraform and systems management tools (Ansible, Puppet, Chef, etc.)
- Familiarity with building scalable web applications with focus on scalability
- Fundamental understanding of distributed systems including the CAP Theorem and Microservices
- BS or MS Degree in Computer Science or Engineering and
- Hands-on coding experience in high level language in developing microservices
- 5+ years .NET development experience in creating transactional apps on AWS services
- Self-disciplined, self-managed, self-motivated and strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive
- Ability to diagnose and troubleshoot complex distributed systems handling high volume transactions
- Passionate to learn, understand, and dissect new technology stack quickly on own
- Strong fundamentals in HTTP including HTTP headers, Process and System API services
- Experience with complete SDLC - from requirements to design, implementation, testing, release, and operations
- Proficient in Linux, Git, AWS, services repository management, and CI/CD pipeline.
- Familiarity with Application/microservices security and Web App Firewall
- Passion for automation and monitoring instrumentation in the code
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well in a team
Meet Some of Palo Alto Networks's Employees
VP, Supply Chain Operations
Vonnie oversees the end-to-end supply chain for the manufacture and delivery of Palo Alto Networks’ hardware, ensuring that customers receive outstanding products in a timely manner.
Back to top