Software Engineer (L7 Security)
At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission:
Being the cybersecurity partner of choice, protecting our digital way of life.
We have the vision of a world where each day is safer and more secure than the one before. These aren’t easy goals to accomplish – but we’re not here for easy. We’re here for better. We are a company built on the foundation of challenging and disrupting the way things are done, and we’re looking for innovators who are as committed to shaping the future of cybersecurity as we are.
As a member of Layer-7 Security group, you will be responsible for designing and developing security features on the next-generation firewalls. You will work with product management on user requirement, apply your knowledge to functional design, utilize your programming skills for efficient and robust implementation, and interact with quality assurance and field support teams throughout the entire software development cycle.
- Participate in all phases of the product development cycle, from definition, design, through implementation and test
- Develop functional specifications, assess task requirements and scheduling, and participate in the development, debug and support
- Suggest and implement improvements to the development process
- Able to clearly communicate goals and desired outcomes to internal project teams
- Interview, mentor and coach new team members
- B.S. degree in Computer Science, similar technical discipline or equivalent experience
- Graduate degree (MS or Ph.D.) in Computer Science or equivalent technical discipline- Preferred
- Working knowledge of TCP/IP internals
- Hands-on experience with networking or network security technologies and C language development in a Unix/Linux environment
- Working knowledge of common data structure and algorithms
- Verbal and written communication skills to work with multi-functional groups
- A teammate with a can-do attitude in a dynamic working environment
- Advance level of software development
- Multi-core / multi-process / multi-threaded programming
- Network packet processing software development
- An interest to learn other programming languages
- Large-scale and/or high-performance software design and development
- TLS internals, cryptography, and OpenSSL a plus
- Deep packet inspection engine a plus
- Application layer protocols such as HTTP, SMTP, SIP, etc. a plus
- Routing protocols such as OSPF, BGP, etc. a plus
- Windows software development a plus
- LDAP, Kerberos, SAML, etc. a plus
- Experience with HTTP and web server backend development a plus
To stay ahead of the curve, it’s critical to know where the curve is, and how to anticipate the changes we’re facing. For the fastest growing cybersecurity company, the curve is the evolution of cyberattacks, and the products and services that proactively address them. Our engineering team is at the core of our products – connected directly to the mission of preventing cyberattacks. They are constantly innovating – challenging the way we, and the industry, think about cybersecurity. These engineers aren’t shy about building products to solve problems no one has pursued before. They define the industry, instead of waiting for directions. We need individuals who feel comfortable in ambiguity, excited by the prospect of a challenge, and empowered by the unknown risks facing our everyday lives that are only enabled by a secure digital environment.
Our engineering team is provided with an unrivaled chance to create the products and practices that will support our company growth over the next decade, defining the cybersecurity industry as we know it. If you see the potential of how incredible people products can transform a business, this is the team for you. If you don’t wait for directions, instead, identifying new features and opportunities we have to just get better, this is your new career.
We’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge cybersecurity’s status quo. It’s simple: we can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together. To learn more about our dedication to inclusion and innovation, visit our Life at Palo Alto Networks page and our diversity website.
Palo Alto Networks is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.
Additionally, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or an accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at email@example.com.
Back to top