Principal Software Engineer (Platforms)
Palo Alto Networks® is the fastest-growing security company in history. We foster a culture of innovation, authenticity, and collaboration. This focus helps to advance our mission of protecting our way of life in the digital age. Our people make this possible. It’s in our everyday interactions, how we work together and treat each other, that sets Palo Alto Networks apart from other organizations. If you are a motivated, intelligent, creative, and hardworking individual, then this job is for you!
As a member of the Platform/OS software group at Palo Alto Networks, you will participate in the design and development of our next-generation firewall platforms. Responsibilities will include new hardware bring-up, drivers, mentoring other engineers, and definition and development of system software to provide a consistent environment for feature development.
As a platform engineer, you will be expected to participate in all phases of the product development cycle, from definition, design, through implementation and test. This includes developing functional specifications, assessing task requirements and scheduling, and participating in system level bring-up, debug, and support.
- Advanced level C coding skills
- New hardware bring-up experience
- Strong scripting skills with bash and python
- Experience of BIOS fundamentals and interaction with BIOS vendors, plus knowledge of X86-based system bring up
- Ability to work well with a group of senior engineers in a dynamic, fast paced environment
- Familiarity with x86 and MIPS architecture are pluses
- Experience developing device drivers and/or Linux kernel development
- Candidate should have an interest in hardware, system software, networking, and have experience with embedded software and/or low-level Linux kernel software development
- Experience with networking hardware and familiarity with physical networking technologies and hardware bus protocols
- Experience with build systems and tools such as gmake, autoconf, rpm, and cross compile environments
- Experience with coding for multiple build target architectures
- Minimum 5 years of related programming experience required
- S./M.S. degree in Computer Science/Electrical Engineering or equivalent
We are the global cybersecurity leader, known for always challenging the security status quo. Our mission is to protect our way of life in the digital age by preventing successful cyberattacks. This has given us the privilege of safely enabling tens of thousands of organizations and their customers. Our pioneering Security Operating Platform emboldens their digital transformation with continuous innovation that seizes the latest breakthroughs in security, automation, and analytics. By delivering a true platform and empowering a growing ecosystem of change-makers like us, we provide highly effective and innovative cybersecurity across clouds, networks, and mobile devices.
Our Security Operating Platform is built for automation. It is easy to operate, with capabilities that work together, so customers can prevent successful cyberattacks. They can use analytics to automate routine tasks, so they can focus on what matters. We are known for continuously delivering innovations; and with Application Framework, we extend that to an open ecosystem of developers that benefit from our customers’ existing investment in data, sensors, and enforcement points.
Back to top