Principal Software Engineer (Network Forwarding)
At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission: protecting our digital way of life. It’s inspired by our vision: a world where each day is safer and more secure than the one before. These aren’t simple statements. They won’t be easy either – but we’re not here for easy. We’re here for better. As a company with a foundation in challenging the way things are done, we’re looking for innovators who are as committed to shaping the nature of cybersecurity as we are.
Our mission doesn’t happen by treading softly – no, it happens by defining an industry. It means building products that haven't been thought of. It means selling products with a solutions mindset. It means supporting the infrastructure of a company that moves at an incredible speed – intentionally – to stay ahead of the world’s next cyberthreat.
As a member of the data plane networking software group, you will be responsible for designing and developing the next-generation firewall. You will take ownership for large software components, work with product management on real-life customer requirements, apply your knowledge to functional design, utilize your programming skills for efficient and robust implementation, and interact with quality assurance and field support teams in the whole software development cycle. The culture at Palo Alto Networks is creative, dynamic and inspiring to tackle real work Cyber-attacks.
- Responsible for development of NextGen Network Security Components and Protocols for State-of-the-art firewalls deployed at Enterprise, Data Center, Cloud, and Service Provider environments.
- Develop network security features for tunneling protocols such as GRE, IPSec, and VxLAN.
- Develop network security features for 3G/4G and 5G mobility service provider technology GTP
- Develop security modules with disruptive technologies based on deep packet inspection (DPI) and Machine Learning (ML) Algorithms
- Develop scalable high availability solution for Stateful Failover
- Work with multi-functional team members on user requirements, including but not limited to Product Management, QA, Support, etc.
- Effective decision maker, take ownership and independently drive, lead tasks and assignments
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent experience
- 12+ years of in-depth C programming experience
- Strong experience in large scale software development on Unix/Linux
- Multi-core and Multi-threading programming experience is a requirement
- In-depth knowledge in networking, especially in L2, L3, L4 protocols such as IPv4, IPv6, TCP, UDP is a requirement.
- Experience on data plane forwarding and network processor programming
- Knowledge of GRE, IPSec, VxLAN, and GTP.
- Can-do attitude and ability to take initiative and drive open issues to completion.
- Strong communication skills to work effectively with multi-functional groups
- Knowledge in Cloud solutions is a plus
To stay ahead of the curve, it’s critical to know where the curve is, and how to anticipate the changes we’re facing. For the fastest growing cybersecurity company, the curve is the evolution of cyberattacks and the products and services that proactively address them. Our engineering team is at the core of our products – connected directly to the mission of preventing cyberattacks. They are constantly innovating – challenging the way we, and the industry, think about cybersecurity. These engineers aren’t shy about building products to solve problems no one has pursued before. They define the industry, instead of waiting for directions. We need individuals who feel comfortable in ambiguity, excited by the prospect of a challenge, and empowered by the unknown risks facing our everyday lives that are only enabled by a secure digital environment.
Our engineering team is provided with an unrivaled chance to create the products and practices that will support our company growth over the next decade, defining the cybersecurity industry as we know it. If you see the potential of how incredible people products can transform a business, this is the team for you. If you don’t wait for directions, instead, identifying new features and opportunities we have to just get better, this is your new career.
We’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge cybersecurity’s status quo. It’s simple: we can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together. To learn more about our dedication to inclusion and innovation, visit our Life at Palo Alto Networks page and our diversity website.
Palo Alto Networks is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.
Additionally, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or an accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to top