Principal Software Engineer (Cryptography)
At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission:
Being the cybersecurity partner of choice, protecting our digital way of life.
We have the vision of a world where each day is safer and more secure than the one before. These aren’t easy goals to accomplish – but we’re not here for easy. We’re here for better. We are a company built on the foundation of challenging and disrupting the way things are done, and we’re looking for innovators who are as committed to shaping the future of cybersecurity as we are.
We're seeking innovators - engineers who seek to design new products, designing state-of-the-art products that do not exist today. These engineers love to code with a drive to build global products and bring new ideas to develop security disciplines to solve real-world problems. We are looking for leaders who take ownership of their areas of focus and who are driven to pursue problems at every level. Collaboration is at the heart of our culture and we need engineers who can communicate at a high level and work well with cross-functional teams towards achieving a common goal.
As a member of the software group at Palo Alto Networks, you will participate in the design and development of our Next-Generation Firewall Platforms. As a Software Engineer, you will be expected to participate in all phases of the product development cycle, from definition, design, through implementation and test. This includes developing functional specifications, assessing task requirements and scheduling, and participating in system level up, debug, and, support. This is a job for an individual who wants to solve problems that haven't already been solved - something who seeks a challenge and thrives in ambiguity. Your ambitious spirit enjoys facing undefined adversaries and the evolution of the cybersecurity.
- Understanding such features and gaps, articulately designing, validating and implementing the same and mitigating the same to meet certification road-maps
- Meet with 3rd party validators
- B.S./M.S. in Computer/Electrical Science/Engineering or equivalent experience
- 2+ or more years of C/C++ coding experience
- ASM development for CPU architectures like x86-64, MIPS and ARM is a preferential plus
- Understand development in large code-bases
- Show in-depth knowledge of firewalls and secure gateways
- Experience with Linux, Linux Kernel Development
- Experience with Suite B systems
- Experience with IPSec, SSHv2 or TLS is a plus
- Experience with X-509 and PKI
- Experience with Python and Linux scripting
- Exemplary methods on self-initiated unit testing is a very preferable plus
- Excellent communication and documentation skills
- Experience with SDN, VM and cloud infrastructure is a plus
- Understanding of formal proofs is a plus
- 4 to 7 years prior experience with secure protocols- preferred
- Understand the underlying cryptographic principles- preferred
- Experience developing with OpenSSL and you have prior roles for FIPS 140-2, Common Criteria, (NDcPP preferred) and similar international certifications
To stay ahead of the curve, it’s critical to know where the curve is, and how to anticipate the changes we’re facing. For the fastest growing cybersecurity company, the curve is the evolution of cyberattacks, and the products and services that aggressively address them. Our engineering team is at the core of our products – connected directly to the mission of preventing cyberattacks. They are constantly innovating – challenging the way we, and the industry, think about cybersecurity. These engineers aren’t shy about building products to tackle problems no one has pursued before. They define the industry, instead of waiting for directions. We need individuals who feel comfortable in ambiguity, excited by the prospect of challenge, and empowered by the unknown risks facing our everyday lives that are only enabled by a secure digital environment.
Our engineering team is provided with an unrivaled chance to create the products and practices that will support our company growth over the next decade, defining the cybersecurity industry as we know it. If you see the potential of how incredible people products can transform a business, this is the team for you. If you don’t wait for directions, instead, identifying new features and opportunities we have to just get better, this is your new career.
We’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge cybersecurity’s status quo. It’s simple: we can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together. To learn more about our dedication to inclusion and innovation, visit our Life at Palo Alto Networks page and our diversity website.
Palo Alto Networks is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.
Additionally, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or an accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to top