Principal Site Reliability Engineer - Cloud Platform Infrastructure
At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission: protecting our way of life in the digital age by preventing successful cyberattacks. It’s not a small goal. It isn’t simple either, but we aren’t in this for the easy answer. As a company with a foundation in challenging the way things are done, we’re looking for innovators with a dedication to best. In return, your career will have a tangible impact – one that's working toward technology that affects every level of society.
Our mission doesn’t happen by treading softly – no, it happens by defining an industry. It means building products that haven't been thought of. It means selling products with a solutions mindset. It means supporting the infrastructure of a company that moves at an incredible speed – intentionally – to stay ahead of the world’s next cyberthreat.
We’re looking for a Cloud Platform, Site Reliability Engineer to take ownership for the development efforts of our Cloud Application and Microservices Platform. This includes scalability, reliability, automation, uptime and availability, building and maintaining mission-critical infrastructure and tools as a platform. You will own development efforts in each sprint from planning to delivery and will partner with other engineering teams to provide technical vision in making their services more observable, scalable and reliable. You will have the opportunity to gain technical breadth while sharing your cloud platform expertise with other team members.
You will not only identify problems but also develop and implement automation solutions in AWS that operate at scale. The best person for this role is someone that has a collaborative spirit and can seamlessly collaborate and pair with other engineering teams to build and manage a reliable, secure, and scalable platform for microservices.
- Design, build and maintain Infra in AWS to enable reliable and rapid deployment of microservices with effective monitoring and resilient operations
- Set up critical infrastructure, develop tools and framework to automate operational tasks, deployment of machines, services/app
- Work closely with engineering teams to ensure microservices are designed with scale, operability, and performance
- Create meaningful dashboards, logging, alerting, and responses to ensure that issues are captured and addressed proactively
- Define Service Level Objectives for product(s) to constantly measure their reliability in production. Maximize services uptime and availability ensuring functional and performance SLAs
- Develop custom code or scripts to automate infrastructure, monitoring services
- Cross Functionality with Engineering Teams: Contribute to architecture diagrams and other documentation for security reviews
- Initiate, lead scripting and automation to streamline system updates and upgrades
- BS or MS Degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- 7-10 years coding experience in DevOps or SRE role
- Deep understanding of at least one of modern programming language: Java, C, C++, Python, Ruby, C#
- Fluency in Linux, AWS services, and systems management tools (Ansible, Puppet, Chef, etc.)
- Expertise in AWS cloud infrastructure and its related services
- Fundamental understanding of distributed systems including: the CAP Theorem, Microservices, and the Twelve Factor Application
- Demonstrated ability to write programs using a high-level programming language like: C, Java, Python, Ruby
- Hands-on operational experience in creating and managing microservices
- Experience in CI/CD automation and GitHub a plus
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well in a team
- Strong automation skills to automate routine tasks using Python or BASH scripting
- Systematic problem-solving approach, strong customer focus, ownership, urgency, and drive to complete a task
- Demonstrated capability to provide depth and breadth technical leadership to agile teams
Working at a high-tech cybersecurity company within Information Technology is a once in a lifetime opportunity. You’ll be joined with the brightest minds in technology, creating, building, and supporting tools and that enable our global teams on the front line of defense against cyberattacks. We’re joined by one mission – but driven by the impact of that mission and what it means to protect our way of life in the digital age. Join a dynamic and fast-paced team that feels excitement at the prospect of a challenge and feels a thrill at resolving technical gaps that inhibit productivity.
We’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge cybersecurity’s status quo. It’s simple: we can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together. To learn more about our dedication to inclusion and innovation, visit our Life at Palo Alto Networks page and our diversity website.
Palo Alto Networks is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.
Additionally, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or an accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to top