Principal Network Engineer (1st Customer Network - Infrastructure)
Palo Alto Networks® is the fastest-growing security company in history. We foster a culture of innovation, authenticity, and collaboration. This focus helps to advance our mission of protecting our way of life in the digital age. Our people make this possible. It’s in our everyday interactions, how we work together and treat each other, that sets Palo Alto Networks apart from other organizations. If you are a motivated, intelligent, creative, and hardworking individual, then this job is for you!
Our revolutionary, next generation network security products are the vanguard of the enterprise security industry, leading the way in the fight to protect our digital way of life. Before our products ever see the light of day, they are used extensively by employees of Palo Alto Networks and we call this the ‘First Customer Network’.
The Principal Network Engineer, First Customer Network, owns this critical network, keeping it running and maintained, ultimately rolling it out to our other offices around the world! This role is a technical leader and evangelist responsible for Palo Alto Networks’ (PANW) security and network infrastructure for all enterprise, partner, and customer facing services related to First Customer rollouts.
- Lead multiple Security and Network Engineering initiatives consisting of design and deployment of complex products and platforms, including design analysis, testing, and integration.
- Translate roadmaps into deployable designs and features. Drive testing and deployment of security design architectures.
- Establish design principles, practices, implementations and documentation. Create technical documentation such as network diagrams, test plans, deployment plans, security and business workflows.
- Advise on procedures, techniques, and requirements to ensure maximum performance and availability of the security and network infrastructure. Recommend areas for improvement in both processes and systems.
- Partner with IT teams, Engineering and QA teams to deploy security and network architecture in test and production environments.
- Track, report and manage resolution of critical and performance issues with Engineering and QA teams. Build on-going reports on software quality and system scale.
- Build Automation pipeline to repeatedly deploy architectures and code.
- Document best practices whitepapers.
- Implement security monitoring and analysis tools.
- Perform risk analysis to identify IT security issues and remediating plans. Identify and mitigate operational risks where appropriate. Conduct security assessments with Infosec & Security Operations on overall architecture and use cases.
- Review/develop security policies (with security team), procedures and technical standards including corporate compliance and end-user awareness.
- Be the last level of escalation, resolve complex issues and provide technical guidance to other engineers related to upcoming releases and capabilities.
- Expert knowledge and hands-on experience with Palo Alto products and technologies including firewalls, network security, VPNs, end-point security, cloud security, Cloud Access Security Brokers, Data Loss Prevention, logging, application security, virtualization and containers.
- Expertise in Cisco/Arista and Aruba wireless platforms.
- Must have a passion for automation with hands on experience. Familiarity with Ansible, AWS and other automation frameworks is a big plus. Must have working knowledge of bash/python for automation
- Strong understanding of Cloud networking with a broad understanding of hybrid infrastructure and AWS ecosystem technologies.
- Expert knowledge of networking and routing protocols such as, TCP/IP, BGP4 (multi-homing), OSPF (multi-area), RIP, ISIS, etc.
- Expert working knowledge in the operation of Ethernet LAN switching protocols and standards including, VLANs/VXLANs, aggregation, Ether Channel, PVLANs, Spanning Tree & Rapid Spanning Tree, 802.1Q.
- Strong project management, time management, and organizational skills. Must be detail oriented with extensive background in planning and executing projects
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to write network and security documentation, policies, and guidelines. Must be able to influence cross team audience with data and technical arguments.
- Ability to thrive and excel in a fast-paced environment handling multiple projects. Ability to work nights and weekends and provide some 24/7 on-call support.
- CISSP, CISM, CISA, SANS, ISO17799 preferred but not required.
- 10+ year experience in networking and security roles with Bachelors (preferably MS) in Computer Science or related field.
- PCNSE, CCIE, CCSP, CCDP, preferred.
We are the global cybersecurity leader, known for always challenging the security status quo. Our mission is to protect our way of life in the digital age by preventing successful cyberattacks. This has given us the privilege of safely enabling tens of thousands of organizations and their customers. Our pioneering Security Operating Platform emboldens their digital transformation with continuous innovation that seizes the latest breakthroughs in security, automation, and analytics. By delivering a true platform and empowering a growing ecosystem of change-makers like us, we provide highly effective and innovative cybersecurity across clouds, networks, and mobile devices.
Our Security Operating Platform is built for automation. It is easy to operate, with capabilities that work together, so customers can prevent successful cyberattacks. They can use analytics to automate routine tasks, so they can focus on what matters. We are known for continuously delivering innovations; and with Application Framework, we extend that to an open ecosystem of developers that benefit from our customers’ existing investment in data, sensors, and enforcement points.
Back to top