Principal Network Engineer
Palo Alto Networks® is the fastest-growing security company in history. We foster a culture of innovation, authenticity, and collaboration. This focus helps to advance our mission of protecting our way of life in the digital age. Our people make this possible. It’s in our everyday interactions, how we work together and treat each other, that sets Palo Alto Networks apart from other organizations. If you are a motivated, intelligent, creative, and hardworking individual, then this job is for you!
The Principal Network Engineer is responsible for Palo Alto Networks’ (PANW) network and security infrastructure for all enterprise, partner, and customer facing services. A successful candidate for this role will have strong project management and organization skills to complement their technical skills. You will work with a team of senior level Network Engineers leading projects designing, implementing, and maintaining PANWs global WAN/LAN network infrastructure.
- Lead multiple Network Engineering initiatives and projects consisting of design and development for complex products and platforms, including solution design, analysis, testing, and integration
- Partner with SRE to drive adoption of tools and framework for automation of network deployment and operations. Develop tooling for seamless configuration management and auditing of network devices
- Develop Cloud Networking/LAN/WAN strategies; evaluate and select hardware and software products, implement and integrate these products into comprehensive solutions meeting company’s business requirements
- Provide specialized technical expertise in researching and resolving complex technology network infrastructure problems which may involve coordination of hardware and software vendor support
- Establish network design principles, practices, implementations, documentation and LAN/WAN maintenance. Advise on procedures, techniques, and requirements to ensure maximum performance and availability of the company infrastructure. Recommend areas for improvement in both processes and systems
- Lead the team to implement network monitoring and analysis tools
- Create technical documentation such as network diagrams, security and business workflows
- Perform risk analysis to identify IT security issues and remediating plans. Identify and/or mitigate operational risks where appropriate. Conduct security assessments with Infosec and make recommendations on data/voice network (LAN/WLAN/WAN/DMZ/Internet), disaster recovery, remote access, network appliances, servers, and directory services security
- Review/develop security policies (with security team), procedures and technical standards including corporate compliance and end-user awareness
- Be the last level of escalation from Operations, resolve complex issues and provide technical guidance to other engineers
- Must have a passion for Network automation with hands on experience. Familiarity with Ansible, AWS and other automation frameworks is a big plus. Must have working knowledge of bash/python/ruby for automation
- Strong understanding of Cloud networking with a broad understanding of hybrid infrastructure and AWS ecosystem technologies. Expert knowledge of networking and routing protocols such as, TCP/IP, BGP4 (multi-homing), OSPF (multi-area), RIP, ISIS, etc.
- Expert working knowledge in the operation of Ethernet LAN switching protocols and standards including, VLANs, VLAN aggregation, Ether Channel, PVLANs, Spanning Tree & Rapid Spanning Tree, 802.1Q
- Expert knowledge of PANW firewalls technologies (Preferred), including VPNs and routing. Expertise in Cisco/Arista platforms.
- Must be familiar with standard data center technologies like Hadoop, ESX, F5, Networked Storage arrays etc.
- Strong project management, time management, and organizational skills. Must be detail oriented with extensive background in planning and executing projects
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to write network and security documentation, policies, and guidelines. Must be able to influence cross team audience with data and technical arguments
- Must be comfortable with working fast paced dynamic environment handling multiple projects
- Ability to work nights and weekends and provide 24/7 on-call support
- CISSP, CISM, CISA, SANS, ISO17799 preferred but not required
- 10+ year experience in networking and security roles with BSCS or related field, PCNSE, CCIE, CCSP, CCDP, preferred
We are the global cybersecurity leader, known for always challenging the security status quo. Our mission is to protect our way of life in the digital age by preventing successful cyberattacks. This has given us the privilege of safely enabling tens of thousands of organizations and their customers. Our pioneering Security Operating Platform emboldens their digital transformation with continuous innovation that seizes the latest breakthroughs in security, automation, and analytics. By delivering a true platform and empowering a growing ecosystem of change-makers like us, we provide highly effective and innovative cybersecurity across clouds, networks, and mobile devices.
Our Security Operating Platform is built for automation. It is easy to operate, with capabilities that work together, so customers can prevent successful cyberattacks. They can use analytics to automate routine tasks, so they can focus on what matters. We are known for continuously delivering innovations; and with Application Framework, we extend that to an open ecosystem of developers that benefit from our customers’ existing investment in data, sensors, and enforcement points.
Back to top