Principal Engineer (Cyber Security Solutions)
At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission: protecting our way of life in the digital age by preventing successful cyberattacks. It’s not a small goal. It isn’t simple either, but we aren’t in this for the easy answer. As a company with a foundation in challenging the way things are done, we’re looking for innovators with a dedication to best. In return, your career will have a tangible impact – one that's working toward technology that affects every level of society.
Our mission doesn’t happen by treading softly – no, it happens by defining an industry. It means building products that haven't been thought of. It means selling products with a solutions mindset. It means supporting the infrastructure of a company that moves at an incredible speed – intentionally – to stay ahead of the world’s next cyberthreat.
Our groundbreaking, next-generation network security products are the vanguard of the enterprise security industry, leading the way in the fight to protect our digital way of life. Before our products ever see the light of day, they are used extensively by our employees and we call this the ‘First Customer Network’.
The Principal Network Engineer, First Customer Network, leads this critical network, keeping it running and maintained, ultimately rolling it out to our other offices around the world! This role is a technical leader and evangelist responsible for our security and network infrastructure for all enterprise, partner, and customer-facing services related to First Customer rollouts.
- Lead multiple security and network engineering initiatives consisting of design and deployment of complex products and platforms, including design analysis, testing, and integration
- Translate roadmaps into deployable designs and features
- Drive testing and distribution of security design architectures
- Establish design principles, practices, implementations, and documentation
- Build user documentation such as network diagrams, test plans, deployment plans, security and business workflows
- Advise on procedures, techniques, and requirements to ensure maximum performance and availability of the security and network infrastructure. Recommend areas for improvement in both processes and systems
- Partner with IT teams, engineering, and QA teams to deploy security and network architecture in test and production environments
- Track, report and handle resolution of critical and performance issues with engineering and QA teams. Build ongoing reports on software quality and system scale
- Build Automation pipeline to repeatedly deploy architectures and code
- Document standard methodologies whitepapers
- Implement security monitoring and analysis tools
- Perform risk analysis to identify IT security issues and remediating plans. Identify and mitigate operational risks where appropriate
- Conduct security assessments with InfoSec and Security Operations on overall architecture and use cases
- Review/develop security policies (with security team), procedures, and technical standards including corporate compliance and end-user awareness
- Be the last level of customer concern, resolve complex issues and provide technical mentorship to other engineers related to upcoming releases and capabilities
- 10+ year experience in networking and security roles
- Bachelors (preferably MS) in Computer Science or related field
- Expert knowledge and hands-on experience with Palo Alto Networks products and technologies including firewalls, network security, VPNs, end-point security, cloud security, Cloud Access Security Brokers, Data Loss Prevention, logging, application security, virtualization, and containers
- Expertise in Cisco/Arista and Aruba wireless platforms
- Real passion for automation with hands on experience
- Familiarity with Ansible, AWS and other automation frameworks is helpful.
- Have working knowledge of bash/python for automation
- Solid grasp of Cloud networking with a deep understanding of hybrid infrastructure and AWS ecosystem technologies
- Expert knowledge of networking and routing protocols such as, TCP/IP, BGP4 (multi-homing), OSPF (multi-area), RIP, ISIS, etc.
- Working knowledge in the operation of Ethernet LAN switching protocols and standards including, VLANs/VXLANs, aggregation, Ether Channel, PVLANs, Spanning Tree & Rapid Spanning Tree, 802.1Q.
- Solid project management, time management, and organizational skills
- Detail oriented with extensive background in planning and executing projects
- Superb communication skills, including the ability to write network and security documentation, policies, and guidelines
- Be able to influence cross team audience with data and technical arguments
- Ability to thrive and excel in a dynamic environment handling multiple projects. Ability to work nights and weekends and provide some 24/7 on-call support
- Preferred but not required certifications, CISSP, CISM, CISA, SANS, ISO17799
- Preferred certifications, PCNSE, CCIE, CCSP, CCDP
Working at a high-tech cybersecurity company within Information Technology is a once in a lifetime opportunity. You’ll be joined with the brightest minds in technology, creating, building, and supporting tools and that enable our global teams on the front line of defense against cyberattacks. We’re joined by one mission – but driven by the impact of that mission and what it means to protect our way of life in the digital age. Join a dynamic and fast-paced team that feels excitement at the prospect of a challenge and feels a thrill at resolving technical gaps that inhibit productivity.
We’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge cybersecurity’s status quo. It’s simple: we can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together. To learn more about our dedication to inclusion and innovation, visit our Life at Palo Alto Networks page and our diversity website.
Palo Alto Networks is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.
Additionally, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or an accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to top