Head of Security Operations (Information Security)
Palo Alto Networks® is the fastest-growing security company in history. We foster a culture of innovation, authenticity, and collaboration. This focus helps to advance our mission of protecting our way of life in the digital age. Our people make this possible. It’s in our everyday interactions, how we work together and treat each other, that sets Palo Alto Networks apart from other organizations. If you are a motivated, intelligent, creative, and hardworking individual, then this job is for you!
Do security for the most important security company in the world!
Provide strategic leadership for the Security Operations organization, while maximizing the value of the team to support the mission critical functions of our internal Security Operations Center, our internal Attack Team (Red Team), as well as supporting security, enable and availability objectives for our businesses. Role is multifaceted, in that it supports these capabilities across the enterprise and product environments and will be responsible for customer engagement and thought leadership in the security operations vertical within industry. This leader will be responsible for budgeting, planning, resourcing, execution and value delivery of the mission. Experienced presentation skills are required as this position will have visibility at the executive, board and spokesperson levels. Finally, this leader will need to have strong partnering skills to engage, build relationships with and support the various product and services businesses within our portfolio.
This role will report to Vice President & Chief Information Security Officer. Palo Alto Networks is a leader in cybersecurity, and the information security organization is a world class team that our customers are eager to replicate. We need someone with the passion and energy to ensure Information Security continues to be a high performing organization through aggressive and high value security prevention, security monitoring, threat response, security testing and business engagement.
Security Operations Center:
- Strategic Leadership for Internal SOC: Manage all aspects of the Palo Alto Networks internal Security Operations Center, established to curate our deployment of preventative technologies, and to monitor and respond to threats to our business. This functional responsibility straddles our Enterprise and Product environments.
- North Star Operations: Maintain and continue to develop the Security Operations Center as a north star for customers that desire to replicate the best practices we’ve established to invest first in reduction in attack surface, followed by a solid investment in threat hunting.
- Customer Engagement: Step into the role of executive leader in charge of our continued investment into Security Operations as a core customer of our product portfolio.
- Product Engagement: Lead efforts to continually improve products by engaging directly with our product management and R&D teams to ensure that the SOC customer has a strong voice in the product roadmap, acting as a voice for the customer.
- Continuous Innovation: Continue innovation in the Security Operations space to ensure that we stay ahead of threats, continue forward investing in the future of SOC, and investing in the best talent to support our mission. Experiment and explore the domain to bring leading thoughts to the table for development and execution.
Attack & Penetration Testing (Red Team):
- Purple Team: Create the right environment to ensure that all high-risk products, services, transactional systems, and ecosystems are effectively hardened through strategic and deep dive attack simulations, testing and crowd-sourced exercises to minimize our attack surface and support an effect blue team organization.
- Red Team: In addition to attack exercises coordinated with internal staff, green light to extensively test without knowledge our most critical environments and drive the application of a scrutinizing critical eye into everything we do, within our Enterprise environment, as well as our Product Environments.
- Partnering: Stand side-by-side with our IT, Product Management and Engineering teams to consult, support, and get hands on in ensuring our products remain secure.
- Technical Leadership: Guide the team toward the right high-risk targets to ensure that we are prioritizing appropriately to keep the business growing and expanding.
- Collaboration: A healthy Red Team required constant and frequent communication and collaboration among the many teams that make up Information Security. Continued leadership of this collaboration a must.
- Intelligence Lens: Enable internal Threat Intelligence team to thrive in the collection, curation, and creating solid action behind the intelligence we consume.
- Landscape Monitoring: Monitor external factors that can impact our industry vertical, our company, and our customers, and guide Information Security, and the business toward high value execution to protect our most important assets.
- Educate: Leverage collected intelligence to inform Information Security teams, as well as relevant internal customers of risks that may have an impact to the company.
- Partner: Continued partnership with our external facing Threat Research team, Unit 42 to ensure mission alignment, and shared knowledge to drive to effective and secure outcomes internally.
- Planning: Run organizational planning and business rhythm process in alignment with all other functions to develop vision, mission, goals, objectives and key results (OKRs), resource and capital plans, etc.
- Thought Leadership: Continued management and leadership of the team that acts as a beacon for customers that want to replicate our investment strategy: Reduction of Attack Surface through strong preventative investments, followed by a purposeful and deliberate investment in high value hunting and remediation capabilities.
- 2-year Planning: Rolling development of our go-forward 2-year strategy supporting Attack and Defend capabilities and investment.
- Management: Manage teams in alignment to functional responsibilities. Create a strategy and vision that the team can execute against. Provide mentorship and strong career development plans for individuals in the team.
- Resource Planning & Management: Implement and maintain resource management system to effectively manage resource utilization.
- Culture & Engagement: Maintain harmony and ensure shared responsibility of business objectives with focus on team development and employee career growth.
- Recruiting & Onboarding: Help with recruiting operations and oversee new employee onboarding and training programs.
- Training: Engage employees through meaningful training and growth opportunities.
Skills & Experience:
- Experience managing teams, directly and in a matrix environment.
- Project management and program management experience required.
- Experience with customer engagement, presenting to large and small audiences, and executive team/board exposure.
- We are looking for someone extremely accountable, reliable, and organized.
- The individual must be able to challenge status quo and embrace change.
- Collaboration and relationship building within Information Security and with other stakeholders across Palo Alto Networks is a must. Strong partnerships with Engineering, Product Management, HR, Marketing, IT is key to success in this role.
- Must be comfortable with ambiguity and be able to take abstract ideas into concrete programs and plans.
- Energetic and passionate about driving maturity of InfoSec organization through program management, strategy planning, and leadership.
- Strong written and spoken communication skills to support the organization.
- Go get it done attitude and results oriented.
- Presence to interact with both executive management and front-line employees
- Strong prioritization skills — set priorities and manage priorities with others while having the ability to pivot quickly if priorities shift.
- High emotional intelligence and the ability to resolve conflicts quickly.
- Ability to solve complex problems at scale.
Back to top