Staff Database Reliability Engineer
- Flexible / Remote
Together we’re building a company that will endure and products people will love for generations to come.
We believe that people do their best in a culture that fosters inclusion, innovation, and success. Our values - Champion the Customer, Take the Lead, Run Together, Ack + Own and Bring Yourself - serve as the foundation of our collaborative and dynamic culture.
Whether it’s conducting a retrospective, participating in our bi-annual hack weeks, cranking out a new product feature, supporting our two PagerDuty bands, or doing our day to day work, Dutonians live and breathe these five values every day. Together, we solve real customer issues and fulfill our mission of connecting teams to real-time opportunities and elevate work to the outcomes that matter.
We’re building an inclusive workplace that represents the real, everyday people we support around the world. From how we build our teams to who sits in the boardroom, we hope you can see yourself at PagerDuty.
Why We Need You
Are you a savvy developer with strong automation experience who is passionate about database administration, performance tuning, backup and recovery, and scalability?
Do you have a deep knowledge of distributed systems?
Do you have a knack for teaching, mentoring others, and sharing your knowledge?
Do you love Linux systems?
If you answered “yes” to most of the questions above you may be interested in applying for the Senior Database Engineer position. You will find all the information you need below.
How You Contribute to Our Vision: Key Responsibilities
- You will build out automation to address database problems like failovers, backups, restores, schema changes, and performance tuning
- You will also be responsible for guiding your fellow engineers so they can be their own Database Administrators
- You will take part in your team’s on-call rotation, triaging and addressing production issues as they arise
About You: Skills and Attributes
- Passion for databases and their maintenance, management, and scalability challenges. Deeply interested in databases and wish to become a database specialist
- You believe automation is the most appropriate way to address problems at scale
- You are a learner. You love learning new things every day and you get ecstatic when you can apply new knowledge to build new solutions to old problems
- You have an interest in data and databases, and are willing to learn and grow a career in this field
- You have at least two years of experience as a developer. You can write proper code in at least one scripting language, such as Perl, Python, or Ruby
- You have experience with a configuration management or orchestration system.
- You have some Linux knowledge
- Experience with ElasticSearch, Kafka, and Cassandra
- You have used Bash, and SQL
- You've (ab)used Chef before
- Some previous experience with Ubuntu or Debian
- Experience with Object Relational Mappers (ActiveRecord, SQLAlchemy, Hibernate, etc.)
- Competitive salaries and company equity
- Comprehensive benefits package including: medical, dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse and family
- Generous parental leave
- Paid vacation (3 weeks vacation your first year, 4 weeks afterwards) in addition to paid holidays and ample sick leave
- Opportunities to get involved in PagerDuty's Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) and other diversity initiatives. ERGs are self-organized, employee-run communities focused on advancing a sense of belonging and inclusion for all - members, advocates, and allies.
- Paid employee volunteer time - 20 hours per year
- Bi-annual company wide hack weeks
PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
PagerDuty is for people. Meaning, we extend opportunities to a broad array of candidates, including those with diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds. Whether you're new to the corporate world, returning to work after a gap in employment, or simply looking to transition or take the next step in your career path, we are excited to connect with you.
PagerDuty is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application process. Should you require accommodation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with local requirements.
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.
To all recruitment agencies: PagerDuty does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, PagerDuty employees or any other company location. PagerDuty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Back to top