Software Engineering Manager
At PagerDuty, we believe that people do their best in a culture that fosters inclusion, innovation, and success. Our values - Champion the Customer, Take the Lead, Run Together, Ack + Own and Bring Yourself - serve as the foundation of our collaborative and dynamic culture. Whether it’s conducting a retrospective, participating in our monthly Hackdays, cranking out a new product feature, supporting our two PagerDuty bands, or doing our day to day work, Dutonians live and breathe these five values every day. Together, we solve real customer issues and fulfill our mission of connecting teams to real-time opportunities and elevate work to the outcomes that matter.
Why We Need You
We are actively seeking an Engineering Manager to lead a team of passionate engineers, where you will have the opportunity to shape and scale the culture as PagerDuty continues its growth. Your team will own some of the most critical systems at PagerDuty and deliver innovative product features through continuous iteration.
At PagerDuty, we are building an incident management solution to help companies triage, fix, notify, and respond to issues before customers are aware of them. Startups, Fortune 500 companies, and everything in-between rely on us in mission-critical times to make sure their businesses stay up and running. We are not afraid to use the latest and the greatest technologies in our production environments. We are looking for an Engineering Manager that can help us grow and mature as an Engineering organization and help their teams deliver great experiences directly to our customers.
How You Contribute to Our Vision: Key Responsibilities
- Oversee a distributed team of highly motivated engineers spanning all experience levels, from first-time interns to senior engineers
- Collaborate with the team on setting the product and technical roadmaps along with plans for getting us there
- Work with engineering, product, and UX stakeholders to facilitate project delivery
- Work with other engineering managers to help drive cultural changes across the organization
- Recruit and retain the best talent across the globe
- Participating in your team’s on-call rotation, triaging and addressing production issues as they arise
About You: Skills and Attributes
- You are not a micromanager. You enable and empower a team to do great work beyond what you could accomplish on your own
- Understand the balance between planning out work and just getting things done, between getting your hands dirty and getting out of the team’s way
- Experience helping your teams consistently ship value to customers. You go out of your way to make sure that you articulate that value within, as well as outside of the team
- Experience hiring talented senior engineers and supporting them to do impactful work. You have also hired and developed junior engineers to realize their full potential
- Excellent ability to communicate in all directions of the org chart and understand the importance of laying out context for the team, instead of prescribing solutions
- Previous engineering leadership experience
- Experience managing healthy and high achieving teams
- Have a deep understanding of agile principles and how to apply them effectively
- You can still code if needed (though that won’t be the primary function of this role)
- Have worked on large scale systems and know the pitfalls that can come with under or over engineering
How We Work
PagerDuty Engineering teams are set up to be mini innovation pods. We practice what we preach, and believe that every engineer can build great products to delight our thousands of customers.
Teams are set up to be able to achieve success autonomously while remaining accountable for results. Every team has full vertical ownership of their own services and are able to release as frequently as they want to. We practice the mantra of ‘Code It. Ship It. Own It.’ and believe that teams are most successful when they are able to own every decision in order to run their software. Every team gets to be a part of our growth by building highly resilient and durable software that scales from our startup customers to Fortune 100 companies.
We deploy over 1000 times a month and every engineer is able to ship high quality software to production on their own. Teams own their own tests and yes, we use PagerDuty to manage incidents. Teams own their own way of working and can use the agile practices of their choice to work collaboratively via incremental delivery.
We support engineers to explore ideas via monthly Hack Days, actively attack our own infrastructure weekly to learn and get better, host an annual internal technical conference called PagerCon, ask our engineers to represent PagerDuty at industry events, and contribute to the open source community.
Each team has a dedicated Engineering Manager, Product Owner, and agile coach to help support our people and teams to be successful. We believe that Management is a separate skill set and have different career paths for our engineers and managers including a full ‘stay technical’ career track.
Competitive salaries and company equity
Comprehensive benefits package including: medical, dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse and family, cell phone allowance and more!
RSP with 1% employer match
Generous parental leave
Paid vacation (3 weeks vacation your first year, 4 weeks afterwards) in addition to 12 paid stat holidays and ample sick leave
Paid employee Volunteer Time - 20 hours per year
Monthly company wide hack days
Catered lunch daily and plenty of snacks and drinks
Convenient, central Toronto office location, easily accessible by public transportation
PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
PagerDuty is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application process. Should you require accommodation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with local requirements.
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.
To all recruitment agencies: PagerDuty does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, PagerDuty employees or any other company location. PagerDuty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Back to top