Software Engineer, Full Stack
Why We Need You
PagerDuty is the incident resolution service that integrates with ITOps and DevOps monitoring stacks to improve operational reliability and agility. Companies including Twitter, Lyft, Airbnb, and Google, amongst many others, trust and rely on PagerDuty to help achieve this.
We are looking for full-stack engineers to join our engineering team and help us continue innovating our product offering. We will achieve this mission by using the latest and greatest tools and languages to deliver world-class experiences on all of our platforms (webapp, APIs, mobile apps, and notifications).
How You Contribute To Our Vision
We don't hire based on experience with a handful of tools - experience with our stack is just a bonus. Instead, we want smart, capable people who can learn our tools quickly (and suggest new ones!) as needed. Some of the technologies that have been introduced by our great engineers include: Ruby on Rails, Scala, Elixir, Ember.js, MySQL, Cassandra, Zookeeper, Kafka.
- You will work with a wide range of systems, processes, and technologies to build features and solve customer problems.
- You will build and ship new customer-facing features, including completing your first production deploy within the first 3 days!
- You will collaborate with other teams (such as product, UX, and other engineering teams) to deliver the highest quality experience on all platforms.
- You will provide code reviews for your fellow team members.
- You, along with your team members, will own and maintain the production systems that you build over the long term, be on-call for production issues, and steer the future direction of the components.
- You have experience developing customer-facing and web-based systems.
- You have knowledge of at least one modern web programming framework: Ruby on Rails, Sinatra, Phoenix, Flask, Django or similar.
- You have worked with REST-based APIs.
- You are fearlessly self-driven.
- You are empathetic- you take other opinions into account and clearly communicate your thoughts in order to reach technical solutions quickly.
Benefits to Get Excited About
- Competitive salaries and company equity
- Comprehensive benefits package including: medical, dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse and family; 401K, pre-tax commuter benefits, corporate discounts, cell phone allowance and more!
- Generous paid vacation (3 weeks vacation your first year, 4 weeks afterwards) in addition to 12 paid holidays and ample sick leave.
- Monthly company wide hack days
- Catered lunch daily, breakfast on Wednesdays, and plenty of snacks and drinks
- Convenient office location in SoMa tech hub – accessible by BART, Muni and CalTrain
How We Work
PagerDuty Engineering teams are set up to be mini innovation pods. We practice what we preach, and believe that every engineer can build great products to delight our thousands of customers.
Teams are set up to be able to achieve success autonomously while remaining accountable for results. Every team has full vertical ownership of their own services and are able to release as frequently as they want to. We practice the mantra of 'Code It. Ship It. Own It.' and believe that teams are most successful when they are able to own every decision in order to run their software. Every team gets to be a part of our growth by building highly resilient and durable software that scales from our startup customers to Fortune 100 companies.
We deploy over 1000 times a month and every engineer is able to ship high quality software to production on their own. Teams own their own tests and yes, we use PagerDuty to manage incidents. Teams own their own way of working and can use the agile practices of their choice to work collaboratively via incremental delivery.
We support engineers to explore ideas via monthly Hack Days, actively attack our own infrastructure weekly to learn and get better, host an annual internal technical conference called PagerCon, ask our engineers to represent PagerDuty at industry events, and contribute to the open source community.
Each team has a dedicated Engineering Manager, Product Manager, and agile coach to help support our people and teams to be successful. We believe that Management is a separate skill set and have different career paths for our engineers and managers including a full 'stay technical' career track.
PagerDuty is the leading digital operations management platform for businesses. Our SaaS-based solution empowers over 8,000 small, mid-size and enterprise global customers such as Comcast, eHarmony, Slack and Lululemon with the insight to intelligently respond to critical disruptions for exceptional customer experience. PagerDuty was founded to deliver a new and innovative approach to increase business response and efficiency. We follow agile methodology to build software that enables full-stack event intelligence, response orchestration, continuous learning and delivery, and facilitate the journey towards improved application, system, and service performance and availability. When brand reputation depends on customer satisfaction, PagerDuty arms businesses with the insight to proactively manage incidents and events that may impact customers across your IT environment. We were recently included in the 2016 Deloitte Technology Fast 500, Inc. 500 and Forbes Cloud 100 lists.
Our dedication to our customers, collaborative spirit, 'risk, fail, learn' attitude, and a Get Stuff Done ethos drive innovation through our product and our culture. We are incredibly proud of our people programs that enable our employees to deliver their best every day. From our performance achievement philosophy to our great benefits, our robust culture of recognition to our commitment to inclusion and diversity, solving complex technical problems to delivering an amazing customer experience, PagerDuty is where you can do the some of the best work of your career.
Learn more at www.pagerduty.com. Follow our blog and connect with us on Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Facebook.
PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accord with applicable law, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Meet Some of PagerDuty's Employees
Managing three teams of engineers—the Front-End UI Team, the Mobile Team, and the Platform Team—Sweta balances her focus between people management, career growth for her engineers, and advancing business goals.
Back to top