Senior Software Engineer
As a Senior Software Engineer, you're the keeper of the vision: You design new services and systems, making sure they fit your long-term technical vision. You do the technical design of new customer functionality, features, and APIs, making sure they fit PagerDuty's short and long-term product vision. You even have a vision for the kind of software engineers you're trying to "grow" as you mentor, teach, and lead them. You're always thinking about the big picture, even when working on the details.
You've thought about working at one of the many big software engineering companies out there (and probably have in the past), but know that you can make a much bigger impact at a startup. You want to work at a fast-growing startup, but the thought of building yet another social-this or messaging-that doesn't really appeal to you.
At PagerDuty, we're building an alerting and incident tracking system to help IT operations groups detect and respond to issues. Startups, Fortune 500 companies, and everything in between rely on us to alert them quickly when they have operational troubles. We've got a product undergoing big changes and we're facing some very hard technical problems to boot. We need a principal engineer to help us design and build out new systems, features, and engineering teams.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you:
- Own your group's technical architecture: you make decisions around which services need to exist, how and with whom they communicate, and their general strategies around availability, consistency, durability, scalability, etc.
- You're a product architect too: you'll tease out requirements and design new features in detail, while always taking into account the longer-term product roadmap. You'll probably even own certain entire aspects of our product from a behavioural standpoint
- Decide on, set, and promote the system/software standards to be followed by the rest of the group and/or company
- Will be responsible for helping improve the overall engineering/technical ability of the group and
- company. (Technical mentoring, design reviews, hiring/staffing, and establishing other engineering best-practices/processes.)
- Will apply your strong judgement and clout in your day-to-day decisions and interactions with the various engineering teams here
You've got the chops if:
- You have a broad background in Computer Science fundamentals backed by 8+ years of experience in designing, developing, and debugging software systems.
- You've made (or experienced the result of) a lot of mistakes over the years. You've learned from each of them, and hate repeating them
- You can communicate complex concepts in a clear and precise way. You have a rigorous and disciplined thought process and have confidence in your ability to tackle most problems with it
- You've been a technical leader in the past. You've led and mentored other engineers. But you still work well on a team, and love learning from others
- You've had experience with different system architectures, and have opinions about what works and what doesn't. You make consistently pragmatic decisions
- You're familiar with - although don't necessarily have experience with - many datastore technologies (both RDBMS and NoSQL), and can discuss the pros and cons of different solutions
- You've designed and implemented various distributed systems. You've made tradeoffs between consistency, availability, durability, complexity, etc, while taking into account the realities of the network your systems run on
We don't hire based on experience with a handful of tools. Instead, we want smart, capable, and experienced people who can learn our tools quickly (and suggest new ones!) as needed. Experience with our stack is just a bonus.
Here's what we use:
- Ruby / Rails
- Percona Xtradb Cluster
- Linux (Ubuntu)
- Amazon AWS (EC2, EBS, S3)
- HAProxy, NGinx
Benefits to Get Excited About
- Competitive salaries and company equity
- Comprehensive benefits package including dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse and family, cell phone allowance and more!
- Generous paid vacation (3 weeks vacation your first year, 4 weeks afterwards) in addition to 12 paid holidays and ample sick leave
- Monthly company wide hack days
- Catered lunch daily and plenty of snacks and drinks
- Convenient, central Toronto office location, easily accessible to public transportation
How We Work
PagerDuty Engineering teams are set up to be mini innovation pods. We practice what we preach, and believe that every engineer can build great products to delight our thousands of customers.
Teams are set up to be able to achieve success autonomously while remaining accountable for results. Every team has full vertical ownership of their own services and are able to release as frequently as they want to. We practice the mantra of 'Code It. Ship It. Own It.' and believe that teams are most successful when they are able to own every decision in order to run their software. Every team gets to be a part of our growth by building highly resilient and durable software that scales from our startup customers to Fortune 100 companies.
We deploy over 1000 times a month and every engineer is able to ship high quality software to production on their own. Teams own their own tests and yes, we use PagerDuty to manage incidents. Teams own their own way of working and can use the agile practices of their choice to work collaboratively via incremental delivery.
We support engineers to explore ideas via monthly Hack Days, actively attack our own infrastructure weekly to learn and get better, host an annual internal technical conference called PagerCon, ask our engineers to represent PagerDuty at industry events, and contribute to the open source community.
Each team has a dedicated Engineering Manager, Product Manager, and agile coach to help support our people and teams to be successful. We believe that Management is a separate skill set and have different career paths for our engineers and managers including a full 'stay technical' career track.
PagerDuty is the leading digital operations management platform for businesses. Our SaaS-based solution empowers over 8,000 small, mid-size and enterprise global customers such as Comcast, eHarmony, Slack and Lululemon with the insight to intelligently respond to critical disruptions for exceptional customer experience. PagerDuty was founded to deliver a new and innovative approach to increase business response and efficiency. We follow agile methodology to build software that enables full-stack event intelligence, response orchestration, continuous learning and delivery, and facilitate the journey towards improved application, system, and service performance and availability. When brand reputation depends on customer satisfaction, PagerDuty arms businesses with the insight to proactively manage incidents and events that may impact customers across your IT environment. We were recently included in the 2016 Deloitte Technology Fast 500, Inc. 500 and Forbes Cloud 100 lists.
Our dedication to our customers, collaborative spirit, 'risk, fail, learn' attitude, and a Get Stuff Done ethos drive innovation through our product and our culture. We are incredibly proud of our people programs that enable our employees to deliver their best every day. From our performance achievement philosophy to our great benefits, our robust culture of recognition to our commitment to inclusion and diversity, solving complex technical problems to delivering an amazing customer experience, PagerDuty is where you can do the some of the best work of your career.
Learn more at www.pagerduty.com. Follow our blog and connect with us on Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Facebook.
PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accord with applicable law. PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.
Meet Some of PagerDuty's Employees
Managing three teams of engineers—the Front-End UI Team, the Mobile Team, and the Platform Team—Sweta balances her focus between people management, career growth for her engineers, and advancing business goals.
Back to top