Senior Software Engineer, Analytics
Why We Need You
PagerDuty is the leading digital operations management platform for businesses. Our SaaS-based solution empowers over 10,000 small, midsize and enterprise global customers to gain insight and respond to critical disruptions. PagerDuty is trusted by thousands of users every single day, which is why leading digital businesses turn to us for the metrics and measures that define their operational effectiveness and agility.
We are extending this idea by investing in Analytics. We believe that we can transform the way digital businesses work, using data to measure and improve digital operations, with a direct link to better business outcomes. We are not afraid to use the latest tools & languages to deliver great experiences to our customers across all platforms. We're looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Analytics team. As a member of the team, you will use your depth and breadth across many technologies to make the Analytics experience the best it can possibly be.
How You Contribute to Our Vision: Key Responsibilities
- We are just starting to build the foundations of a new Analytics offering. You will get a chance to work in all of our Analytics team and broader PagerDuty code bases.
- From day one, you'll be designing, coding, testing and shipping front-end interfaces, APIs, backend applications and microservices that ensure we deliver secure, highly reliable and scalable solutions to our customers. Since we own and operate what we build, you'll collaborate closely with engineers across teams.
- Lead the architecture and implementation of new customer-facing features in the Analytics product offering across web, API, and mobile, in collaboration with product, UX, and other engineering teams.
- Build and develop the core Analytics infrastructure and tooling so other engineering teams can also embed Analytics capabilities easily throughout the PagerDuty product experience.
- Help drive and define standards for data across all of Engineering.
- Provide guidance, technical leadership, and mentoring to other members of the team.
- In partnership with other Analytics engineering team members, own all services the team ships end-to-end.
- Participating in your team's on-call rotation, triaging and addressing production issues as they arise
- You have a track record of stepping up and leading successful engineering projects for end users.
- You have a willingness to learn quickly and a mindset to make a difference. You are an effective communicator and work equally well in a team or by yourself. You get stuff done!
- You are empathetic & keep an open mind to others, regardless of seniority.
- You have deep experience with data streaming platforms: Kafka, Storm, Kinesis, or similar.
- You have experience with data visualization tools: D3, Plotly, ChartJS.
- You have experience using SQL stores and RDBMS: MySQL, PostgresQL, AuroraDB.
- An eye for sleek design.
- Experience going on-call for highly available systems.
- Led the architecture & implementation of distributed and highly available systems, and have opinions about what works and what doesn't.
- Development experience working on customer-facing apps with web frameworks, such as Ruby on Rails, Django, Flask, or similar.
In addition to working with deeply passionate and intelligent people in a dynamic and open environment, we also offer:
- Competitive salaries and company equity
- Comprehensive benefits package including dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse and family, cell phone allowance and more!
- Generous paid vacation (3 weeks vacation your first year, 4 weeks afterwards) in addition to 12 paid holidays and ample sick leave
- Monthly company wide hack days
- Catered lunch daily and plenty of snacks and drinks
- Convenient, central Toronto office location, easily accessible to public transportation
- PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
Teams are set up to be able to achieve success autonomously while remaining accountable for results. Every team has full vertical ownership of their own services and are able to release as frequently as they want to. We practice the mantra of 'Code It. Ship It. Own It.' and believe that teams are most successful when they are able to own every decision in order to run their software. Every team gets to be a part of our growth by building highly resilient and durable software that scales from our startup customers to Fortune 100 companies.
We deploy over 1000 times a month and every engineer is able to ship high quality software to production on their own. Teams own their own tests and yes, we use PagerDuty to manage incidents. Teams own their own way of working and can use the agile practices of their choice to work collaboratively via incremental delivery.
We support engineers to explore ideas via monthly Hack Days, actively attack our own infrastructure weekly to learn and get better, host an annual internal technical conference called PagerCon, ask our engineers to represent PagerDuty at industry events, and contribute to the open source community.
Each team has a dedicated Engineering Manager, Product Owner, and agile coach to help support our people and teams to be successful. We believe that Management is a separate skill set and have different career paths for our engineers and managers including a full 'stay technical' career track. About Us PagerDuty is the leading digital operations management platform for businesses. Our SaaS-based solution empowers over 10,000 small, mid-size and enterprise global customers such as Comcast, eHarmony, Slack and Lululemon with the insight to intelligently respond to critical disruptions for exceptional customer experience. PagerDuty was founded to deliver a new and innovative approach to increase business response and efficiency. We follow agile methodology to build software that enables full-stack event intelligence, response orchestration, continuous learning and delivery, and facilitate the journey towards improved application, system, and service performance and availability. When brand reputation depends on customer satisfaction, PagerDuty arms businesses with the insight to proactively manage incidents and events that may impact customers across your IT environment. We were recently included in the 2016 Deloitte Technology Fast 500, Inc. 500 and Forbes Cloud 100 lists.
Our dedication to our customers, collaborative spirit, 'risk, fail, learn' attitude, and a Get Stuff Done ethos drive innovation through our product and our culture. We are incredibly proud of our people programs that enable our employees to deliver their best every day. From our performance achievement philosophy to our great benefits, our robust culture of recognition to our commitment to inclusion and diversity, solving complex technical problems to delivering an amazing customer experience, PagerDuty is where you can do the some of the best work of your career.
Learn more at www.pagerduty.com. Follow our blog and connect with us on Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Facebook.
PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accord with applicable law.
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.
Meet Some of PagerDuty's Employees
Managing three teams of engineers—the Front-End UI Team, the Mobile Team, and the Platform Team—Sweta balances her focus between people management, career growth for her engineers, and advancing business goals.
Back to top