Senior Director, Data Science
- Worthington, OH
Together we’re building a company that will endure and products people will love for generations to come.
We believe that people do their best in a culture that fosters inclusion, innovation, and success. Our values - Champion the Customer, Take the Lead, Run Together, Ack + Own and Bring Yourself - serve as the foundation of our collaborative and dynamic culture.
Whether it’s conducting a retrospective, participating in our bi-annual Hack weeks, cranking out a new product feature, supporting our two PagerDuty bands, or doing our day to day work, Dutonians live and breathe these five values every day. Together, we solve real customer issues and fulfill our mission of connecting teams to real-time opportunities and elevate work to the outcomes that matter.
Solve for what’s next—at PagerDuty.
We are seeking an experienced strategic technical leader who will work closely with our Product & Engineering organization with the goal of leveraging our unique human and machine IT operations data to innovate and create value for our customers. You will be responsible for leading a team of data scientists focused on furthering this goal.
Reporting directly into the SVP, Engineering you will be touching many different areas of interest including data mining, advanced Machine Learning applications for revenue optimization, Statistical Modeling, Predictive Analytics, and Natural Language Processing (NLP) just to name a few.
How You Contribute to Our Vision: Key Responsibilities
- Coach, mentor, and grow our high performing team of data scientists
- Create the vision, strategy for the future state of data science and research efforts
- Bring thought leadership to advance our data science efforts
- Relentlessly drive focus on both quality and timeliness of delivery
- Develop an investment strategy to define, grow, and maintain a best in class data science organization
- Be a thought leader for internal and external audiences
- Excellent ability to communicate the vision, strategy, deliverables, and results of our data science efforts
- Cross-functional partnership across Product, Engineering, Marketing to collaborate on strategy to achieve the outcomes we expect
About You: Skills and Attributes
- Unending passion for actively coaching, mentoring team members
- Enable your most talented people to thrive by supporting career growth
- Effectively challenge what you see in service of continuous improvement
- Results driven approach to strategy, investment, execution, and deliveryInfluence and impact without direct authority
- Strong business acumen coupled with technical proficiency
- Bachelor’s degree in related fields or equivalent through work related experience
- 10+ years experience in data science, machine learning, or related disciplines
- 7+ years experience having direct reports in data science teams and research practices
How We Work
PagerDuty Engineering teams are set up to be mini innovation pods. We practice what we preach, and believe that every engineer can build great products to delight our thousands of customers.
Teams are set up to be able to achieve success autonomously while remaining accountable for results. Every team has full vertical ownership of their own services and are able to release as frequently as they want to. We practice the mantra of ‘Code It. Ship It. Own It.’ and believe that teams are most successful when they are able to own every decision in order to run their software. Every team gets to be a part of our growth by building highly resilient and durable software that scales from our startup customers to Fortune 100 companies.
We deploy over 1000 times a month and every engineer is able to ship high quality software to production on their own. Teams own their own tests and yes, we use PagerDuty to manage incidents. Teams own their own way of working and can use the agile practices of their choice to work collaboratively via incremental delivery.
We support engineers to explore ideas via bi-annual Hack weeks, actively attack our own infrastructure weekly to learn and get better, host an annual internal technical conference called PagerCon, ask our engineers to represent PagerDuty at industry events, and contribute to the open source community.
Each team has a dedicated Engineering Manager, Product Owner, and agile coach to help support our people and teams to be successful. We believe that Management is a separate skill set and have different career paths for our engineers and managers including a full ‘stay technical’ career track.
Competitive salaries and company equity
Comprehensive benefits package including: medical, dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse and family
Generous parental leave
Paid vacation (3 weeks vacation your first year, 4 weeks afterwards) in addition to paid holidays and ample sick leave
Paid employee Volunteer Time - 20 hours per year
Bi-annual company wide hack weeks
PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
PagerDuty is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application process. Should you require accommodation, please email email@example.com and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with local requirements.
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.
To all recruitment agencies: PagerDuty does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, PagerDuty employees or any other company location. PagerDuty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Back to top