Senior Corporate Counsel - Transactions, Privacy & Product
PagerDuty has an immediate opening for an outstanding attorney with a strong technology background and experience in SaaS software transactional work, product compliance and data privacy to join our growing legal team in either downtown San Francisco or downtown Toronto.
The attorney will provide, and guide others on, commercial, partner and vendor contracts drafting, negotiation, and management and will provide product and data privacy compliance advice and implementation guidance.
- Drafting and negotiating, and guiding others on the drafting and negotiation of, customer and partner subscription and consulting agreements for SaaS offerings under California law and applicable U.S. federal law in a fast-moving environment with rapid negotiation cycles.
- Assisting and participating in the definition and development of customer and partner contract templates, policies, procedures and programs, and providing related legal function templates and training .
- Providing counsel and guidance to Product, Marketing, Security and other business functions regarding product compliance in areas such as data privacy, export controls, trade secret management, antitrust/anti-competition, trademarks, Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices and data security compliance, throughout the entire product development lifecycle.
Minimum Qualifications :
- An advanced career or expert attorney with exceptional academic and in-house and/or law firm credentials. Admitted into and in good standing with the California bar. If not a member of the California bar, should have material demonstrated experience contracting under California law.
- 7 or more years of technology transactional experience, including within a law firm -- drafting, reviewing, negotiating, and advising on a variety of customer and partner transactions such as subscription, SaaS reseller, OEM, strategic partnerships, consulting partnerships, and inbound/outbound licensing agreements.
- Strong understanding of commercial, intellectual property, open source, export controls, global data privacy and data security compliance, particularly in the SaaS industry. Experience making significant decisions regarding legal and compliance risks in a fast-moving environment.
- Experience coordinating across business lines to keep current on business activities and future plans; collect necessary information and data and apply applicable laws and regulations to such information and data; and advise business partners in the implementation of legal and applicable regulatory requirements and ensure implementation.
- Strong commercial experience with customer, partners and vendors; experience advising product management on applicable law and data privacy; experience working with security function on data security standards compliance. Must enjoy negotiating.
- Strong professional judgment, practicality, and client service focus. Proactive and able to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, meet demanding deadlines, and manage multi-dimensional projects in a fast-paced environment. Ab ility to act on best information available and not wait for certainty.
- Excellent research, analysis and oral and written communication skills.
Preferred Qualifications :
The following additional qualifications are a "plus":
- 3+ years in a law firm performing technology transactions and providing product counsel;
- Commercial litigation experience;
- Negotiation of at least 3 strategic transactions (OEM agreements, collaborative product development, etc.);
- Strong experience with SaaS "no sales" models where product virality is paramount;
- Intellectual property litigation or patent licensing experience;
- IAPP certification(s); and/or
- Providing product compliance advice within a regulated industry.
- Competitive salaries and company equity
- Comprehensive benefits package including: medical, dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse and family; 401K, pre-tax commuter benefits, corporate discounts, cell phone allowance and more!
- Generous parental leave, paid vacation (3 weeks vacation your first year, 4 weeks afterwards) in addition to 12 paid holidays and ample sick leave.
- Monthly company wide hack days
- Catered lunch daily plus breakfast on Wednesdays, and plenty of snacks and drinks
- Convenient office location in SoMa tech hub - accessible by BART, Muni and CalTrain
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accord with applicable law, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
PagerDuty is the leading digital operations management platform for organizations. Over 10,000 enterprises and small to mid-size organizations globally trust PagerDuty to improve digital operations, drive revenue, mitigate threats, protect assets, and delight customers. We were included in the 2017 Deloitte Technology Fast 500 for the second year in a row, Inc. 500 and Forbes Cloud 100 lists as well as the 2018 Best Places to Work in the Bay Area.
Our dedication to our customers, collaborative spirit, 'risk, fail, learn' attitude, and a Get Stuff Done ethos drive innovation through our product and our culture. We are incredibly proud of our people programs that enable our employees to deliver their best every day. From our performance achievement philosophy to our great benefits, our robust culture of recognition to our commitment to inclusion and diversity, solving complex technical problems to delivering an amazing customer experience, PagerDuty is where you can do the some of the best work of your career.
Learn more at www.pagerduty.com. Follow our blog and connect with us on Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Facebook.
Meet Some of PagerDuty's Employees
Managing three teams of engineers—the Front-End UI Team, the Mobile Team, and the Platform Team—Sweta balances her focus between people management, career growth for her engineers, and advancing business goals.
Back to top