Senior Android Engineer
Why We Need You
PagerDuty is the leading digital operations management platform for businesses. Our SaaS-based solution empowers over 9,000 small, mid-size and enterprise global customers. They rely on our mobile apps to gain insight and respond to critical disruptions on the go. PagerDuty on mobile is trusted by hundreds of users every single day - we need people who are passionate to help us shape the way others see mobile in the incident management space!
We are not afraid to use the the latest tools and languages for our live production apps to deliver a great experience to our customers' Android phones, tablets, and wearable devices. We're looking for a Senior Android engineer to join our Mobile Engineering group. As a member of the team you will use your deep understanding of the Android platform to make the PagerDuty mobile experience the best it can possibly be
How You Contribute to our Vision
We've got a great foundation, but need your help to build the next generation of our Android applications! You will get a chance to work in all of our mobile code bases and the APIs that power them.
- Lead the design and implementation of new user-facing features in Android
- Build and develop the core mobile infrastructure and tooling around the mobile frameworks
- Help drive and define mobile standards across all of Engineering by participating in code reviews, giving internal tech talks, etc.
- Collaborate with product, UX and other engineering teams to deliver the highest quality mobile experiences to all of our supported devices
- Provide guidance, technical leadership, and mentoring to other members of the team
- Participating in your team's on-call rotation, triaging and addressing production issues as they arise
- Experience with Java, Android SDK and Android Studio
- Deep experience with Activity/Fragment management and lifecycle, Intents, Broadcast Receivers and Callbacks
- Great understanding of Android's common software design patterns and libraries
- Knowledge of Android performance tools and optimization techniques
- At least 5 years developing web and/or mobile applications with REST-based APIs
- Clear communication and ability to understand the needs of our customers
- Empathy - you can clearly communicate your thoughts and opinions to others
- Fearlessly self-driven
- Knowledge or prior experience with RxJava, Retrofit, Dagger
- Knowledge or interest in writing Kotlin
- Exposure to Android testing with JUnit, Robotium or Espresso
- Knowledge of MVC, MVP, MVVM application design and architecture
- Development experience working on customer-facing apps with web frameworks, such as Ruby on Rails, Django, Flask, or similar
- An eye for sleek design
- Competitive salaries and company equity
- Comprehensive benefits package including: medical, dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse and family; 401K, pre-tax commuter benefits, corporate discounts, cell phone allowance and more!
- Generous paid vacation (3 weeks vacation your first year, 4 weeks afterwards) in addition to 12 paid holidays and ample sick leave.
- Monthly company wide hack days
Teams are set up to be able to achieve success autonomously while remaining accountable for results. Every team has full vertical ownership of their own services and are able to release as frequently as they want to. We practice the mantra of 'Code It. Ship It. Own It.' and believe that teams are most successful when they are able to own every decision in order to run their software. Every team gets to be a part of our growth by building highly resilient and durable software that scales from our startup customers to Fortune 100 companies.
We deploy over 1000 times a month and every engineer is able to ship high quality software to production on their own. Teams own their own tests and yes, we use PagerDuty to manage incidents. Teams own their own way of working and can use the agile practices of their choice to work collaboratively via incremental delivery.
We support engineers to explore ideas via monthly Hack Days, actively attack our own infrastructure weekly to learn and get better, host an annual internal technical conference called PagerCon, ask our engineers to represent PagerDuty at industry events, and contribute to the open source community.
Each team has a dedicated Engineering Manager, Product Owner, and agile coach to help support our people and teams to be successful. We believe that Management is a separate skill set and have different career paths for our engineers and managers including a full 'stay technical' career track. About Us
PagerDuty is the leading digital operations management platform for businesses. Our SaaS-based solution empowers over 8,000 small, mid-size and enterprise global customers such as Comcast, eHarmony, Slack and Lululemon with the insight to intelligently respond to critical disruptions for exceptional customer experience. PagerDuty was founded to deliver a new and innovative approach to increase business response and efficiency. We follow agile methodology to build software that enables full-stack event intelligence, response orchestration, continuous learning and delivery, and facilitate the journey towards improved application, system, and service performance and availability. When brand reputation depends on customer satisfaction, PagerDuty arms businesses with the insight to proactively manage incidents and events that may impact customers across your IT environment. We were recently included in the 2016 Deloitte Technology Fast 500, Inc. 500 and Forbes Cloud 100 lists.
Our dedication to our customers, collaborative spirit, 'risk, fail, learn' attitude, and a Get Stuff Done ethos drive innovation through our product and our culture. We are incredibly proud of our people programs that enable our employees to deliver their best every day. From our performance achievement philosophy to our great benefits, our robust culture of recognition to our commitment to inclusion and diversity, solving complex technical problems to delivering an amazing customer experience, PagerDuty is where you can do the some of the best work of your career.
Learn more at www.pagerduty.com. Follow our blog and connect with us on Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Facebook.
PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accord with applicable law, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Meet Some of PagerDuty's Employees
Managing three teams of engineers—the Front-End UI Team, the Mobile Team, and the Platform Team—Sweta balances her focus between people management, career growth for her engineers, and advancing business goals.
Back to top