Why We Need You
Over a third of the Fortune 100 and thousands of other growing customers count on the reliability and power of the Pagerduty service for their IT Operations. Pagerduty continues to accelerate the pace of innovation of our services and apps by leveraging Agile and Continuous Integration practices.
In this role you will contribute to Pagerduty's accelerated growth by supporting multiple Scrum teams on a day-to-day basis. You'll also be building processes and practices that will allow us to scale to the next level of delivery excellence. You should be ready and able to do anything in your power to help the team perform at its highest possible level.
How You Contribute to Our Vision
- You will ensure your team is delivering on the project vision and goals, guiding the team throughout the product lifecycle.
- Facilitate planning for sprints, features, and larger technical initiatives. Help the team identify and document key planning and execution material.
- Establish Agile backlog tracking, burndown metrics, velocity and task definitions.
- Monitor team velocity and sprint/release progress against the team's commitments and empower the team to self-organize to achieve their goals.
- Work with the Product Owner to maintain the backlog.
- Facilitate effective and efficient Agile ceremonies including daily stand-ups, sprint reviews, sprint planning and sprint retrospectives.
- Ensure proper documentation using Agile artifacts (product vision statement, product backlog, product roadmap, release progress, sprint backlog, etc).
- Establish and uphold Agile values and principles including collaboration, fostering a culture of openness, team self-organization, continuous improvement and flexibility to adapt to emerging business needs.
- Focus teams to deliver value quickly through iterations.
- Identify and remove impediments, control distractions as well as facilitate discussion and conflict resolution.
- Track and communicate team velocity and sprint/release progress to provide transparency across the company.
- Coach and enact continuous improvement within the team to increase the productivity of the team and quality of deliverables.
- Ensure appropriate consistency and coordination between delivery teams.
- Provide support to the team using a servant leadership style whenever possible, and lead by example to push towards goals.
- Build a collaborative, trusting and safe environment where open communication helps to bring issues to the surface for faster resolution and use missteps as learning opportunities.
- Mentor and coach product owners and engineering managers on Agile best practices for their respective roles.
- Provide training to new team members as necessary.
- Understand long-term product planning/ roadmap and help inform development team to create quicker gains for the benefit of the end user.
- Contribute to building organizational capability and expertise on Agile project management by sharing findings, best practices, and resources.
- Help the team identify and track key performance metrics to maximize efficiency and velocity.
- Help the team converge on consistent capacity and performance metrics. Analyze and present the data in a fashion that helps all stakeholders achieve delivery and business goals.
- Help the team develop and track Key Performance Indicators and use them to achieve committed goals.
Characteristics of a Successful Candidate
- This is a role where effective communication, collaboration, and leadership skills are as important as mastery of Agile methodologies. We value a results oriented, solution oriented approach over dogma.
- Projects are highly technical in nature and leverage cutting edge technologies with tight timelines. Having a development background would be a big plus.
- 3+ years as a Scrum Master or Agile project manager for a software development team
- Experience leading the development of new services and maintaining live systems
- Knowledge and experience with Agile techniques: Release planning, Scrum of Scrums, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Paired Programming, Automated Testing
- Experience working with geographically dispersed teams
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Previous engineering management, product management or product design experience, especially in an Agile environment, a plus
- Advanced experience configuring the JIRA project management tool is a plus
Benefits to Get Excited About
- Competitive salaries and company equity
- Comprehensive benefits package including: medical, dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse and family; 401K, pre-tax commuter benefits, corporate discounts, cell phone allowance and more!
- Generous paid vacation (3 weeks vacation your first year, 4 weeks afterwards) in addition to 12 paid holidays and ample sick leave.
- Monthly company wide hack days
- Catered lunch daily, breakfast on Wednesdays, and plenty of snacks and drinks
- Convenient office location in SoMa tech hub – accessible by BART, Muni and CalTrain
How We Work
PagerDuty Engineering teams are set up to be mini innovation pods. We practice what we preach, and believe that every engineer can build great products to delight our thousands of customers.
Teams are set up to be able to achieve success autonomously while remaining accountable for results. Every team has full vertical ownership of their own services and are able to release as frequently as they want to. We practice the mantra of 'Code It. Ship It. Own It.' and believe that teams are most successful when they are able to own every decision in order to run their software. Every team gets to be a part of our growth by building highly resilient and durable software that scales from our startup customers to Fortune 100 companies.
We deploy over 1000 times a month and every engineer is able to ship high quality software to production on their own. Teams own their own tests and yes, we use PagerDuty to manage incidents. Teams own their own way of working and can use the agile practices of their choice to work collaboratively via incremental delivery.
We support engineers to explore ideas via monthly Hack Days, actively attack our own infrastructure weekly to learn and get better, host an annual internal technical conference called PagerCon, ask our engineers to represent PagerDuty at industry events, and contribute to the open source community.
Each team has a dedicated Engineering Manager, Product Manager, and agile coach to help support our people and teams to be successful. We believe that Management is a separate skill set and have different career paths for our engineers and managers including a full 'stay technical' career track.
PagerDuty is the leading digital operations management platform for businesses. Our SaaS-based solution empowers over 8,000 small, mid-size and enterprise global customers such as Comcast, eHarmony, Slack and Lululemon with the insight to intelligently respond to critical disruptions for exceptional customer experience. PagerDuty was founded to deliver a new and innovative approach to increase business response and efficiency. We follow agile methodology to build software that enables full-stack event intelligence, response orchestration, continuous learning and delivery, and facilitate the journey towards improved application, system, and service performance and availability. When brand reputation depends on customer satisfaction, PagerDuty arms businesses with the insight to proactively manage incidents and events that may impact customers across your IT environment. We were recently included in the 2016 Deloitte Technology Fast 500, Inc. 500 and Forbes Cloud 100 lists.
Our dedication to our customers, collaborative spirit, 'risk, fail, learn' attitude, and a Get Stuff Done ethos drive innovation through our product and our culture. We are incredibly proud of our people programs that enable our employees to deliver their best every day. From our performance achievement philosophy to our great benefits, our robust culture of recognition to our commitment to inclusion and diversity, solving complex technical problems to delivering an amazing customer experience, PagerDuty is where you can do the some of the best work of your career.
Learn more at www.pagerduty.com. Follow our blog and connect with us on Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Facebook.
PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accord with applicable law, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Meet Some of PagerDuty's Employees
Managing three teams of engineers—the Front-End UI Team, the Mobile Team, and the Platform Team—Sweta balances her focus between people management, career growth for her engineers, and advancing business goals.
Back to top