Principal Software Engineer - Core Teams
- Toronto, Canada
Together we’re building a company that will endure and products people will love for generations to come.
We believe that people do their best in a culture that fosters inclusion, innovation, and success. Our values - Champion the Customer, Take the Lead, Run Together, Ack + Own and Bring Yourself - serve as the foundation of our collaborative and dynamic culture.
Whether it’s conducting a retrospective, participating in our bi-annual hack weeks, cranking out a new product feature, supporting our two PagerDuty bands, or doing our day to day work, Dutonians live and breathe these five values every day. Together, we solve real customer issues and fulfill our mission of connecting teams to real-time opportunities and elevate work to the outcomes that matter.
We’re building an inclusive workplace that represents the real, everyday people we support around the world. From how we build our teams to who sits in the boardroom, we hope you can see yourself at PagerDuty.
PagerDuty continues to grow! We're looking for a Principal Engineer to join our core product group to drive innovation and architecture evolution. Reporting to the Senior Director of Engineering, this role is at the top of our individual contributor career architecture.
We’re looking for someone who has extensive product development experience who can pragmatically balance the need for short-term deliverables with long-term architecture evolution.
You will work and influence across the department, guiding the technical design of all phases of development. You will, along with other Principal and Staff Engineers, act as the technical right hand for our people and product managers so being collaborative is essential. You are comfortable talking to all engineers with all levels of experience as well as managers, executives and customers and you can adjust your communication style and level of detail appropriately for your audience.
You understand that PagerDuty’s product reliability is paramount but that we can’t sit still and need to deliver new customer value all the time. Comfortable at the white board or at the keyboard, you do more than pontificate, you deliver.
How You Contribute to Our Vision: Key Responsibilities
- Take significant responsibility for the architecture of our core product offering and plot the course of the evolution of our legacy systems.
- Work directly with Product Management and engineering teams to come up with customer-oriented solutions that protect our reliability and resiliency while driving the product and our architecture forward.
- Collaborate with other Principal and Staff engineers in our Architecture Working Group to develop and evolve department-wide standards for our technical stacks and architecture.
- Coach and mentor to engineers of all experience levels, remaining approachable and accessible to all members of our diverse and inclusive engineering team.
About You: Skills and Attributes
- Experience with complex web applications.
- Expert-level experience with microservices and service oriented architecture.
- Experience with high availability designs and parallel/horizontal scale-out architectures.
- Expert in cloud-based technologies, especially AWS.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, especially mentorship.
- Experience and comfort working with people outside of engineering.
- Outcome-focused with significant business acumen with a passion for delighting enterprise customers.
- Penchant for getting stuff done by leading group(s) of engineers to positive technical outcomes.
- Ability to create a compelling vision for the future, and communicate clearly and with a collaborative leadership approach.
- Experience in some or all of the following: Elixir, Ruby on Rails, MySQL, Kafka and React.
- Experience working in a collaborative, cross-department architecture/technology council, guild, or working group.
- Extensive experience and contributions in a high growth environment.
- Experience with full, long-term service ownership.
- Experience with agile, (scrum, lean, kanban) delivery methodologies.
- Well rounded, vast and broad experience in different technical environments.
How We Work
PagerDuty Engineering teams are set up to be mini innovation pods. We practice what we preach, and believe that every engineer can build great products to delight our thousands of customers.
Teams are set up to be able to achieve success autonomously while remaining accountable for results. Every team has full vertical ownership of their own services and are able to release as frequently as they want to. We practice the mantra of ‘Code It. Ship It. Own It.’ and believe that teams are most successful when they are able to own every decision in order to run their software. Every team gets to be a part of our growth by building highly resilient and durable software that scales from our startup customers to Fortune 100 companies.
We deploy over 1000 times a month and every engineer is able to ship high quality software to production on their own. Teams own their own tests and yes, we use PagerDuty to manage incidents. Teams own their own way of working and can use the agile practices of their choice to work collaboratively via incremental delivery.
We support engineers to explore ideas via bi annual hack weeks, actively attack our own infrastructure weekly to learn and get better, host an annual internal technical conference called PagerCon, ask our engineers to represent PagerDuty at industry events, and contribute to the open source community.
Each team has a dedicated Engineering Manager, Product Owner, and agile coach to help support our people and teams to be successful. We believe that Management is a separate skill set and have different career paths for our engineers and managers including a full ‘stay technical’ career track.
Competitive salaries and company equity
Comprehensive benefits package including: medical, dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse and family, cell phone allowance and more!
RSP with 1% employer match
Generous parental leave
Paid vacation (3 weeks vacation your first year, 4 weeks afterwards) in addition to 12 paid stat holidays and ample sick leave
Paid employee Volunteer Time - 20 hours per year
Bi-annual company wide hack weeks
Catered lunch daily and plenty of snacks and drinks
Convenient, central Toronto office location, easily accessible by public transportation
Opportunities to get involved in PagerDuty's Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) and other diversity initiatives. ERGs are self-organized, employee-run communities focused on advancing a sense of belonging and inclusion for all - members, advocates, and allies.
PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
PagerDuty is for people. Meaning, we extend opportunities to a broad array of candidates, including those with diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds. Whether you're new to the corporate world, returning to work after a gap in employment, or simply looking to transition or take the next step in your career path, we are excited to connect with you.
PagerDuty is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application process. Should you require accommodation, please email email@example.com and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with local requirements.
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.
To all recruitment agencies: PagerDuty does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, PagerDuty employees or any other company location. PagerDuty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Back to top