Principal Engineer, Infrastructure
Why We Need You
As a Principal Engineer, you understand that your work will positively impact the entire company. You will be diving deep into code,building the next big item that our customers love, and mentoring other engineers, helping them boost their own impact. You know that technical leadership is a balance between being able to communicate effectively through code and being able to work with business stakeholders to truly understand customer problems.
PagerDuty is looking for a stellar Principal Engineer for our Infrastructure Engineering group. We are the engineers that turn all of our engineering teams into mini innovation factories.
How You Contribute to our Vision
- You are able to see beyond the immediate future and anticipate problems that will affect us down the line. You know when a short term fix will lead to long term pain.
- You are able to jump into a team and help lead them by setting the example. You see technical leadership as a way to help mentor and build up other engineers.
- You know how to communicate with various stakeholders across the entire company. You actively solicit and build up context when and where you need to make great decisions.
- You love the idea of spearheading initiatives that you care about and you know how to bring others along for the ride.
- You love to code. You still love settling into your editor and getting something into production to delight customers that day.
- You have 8+ years of experience in software development across multiple architectures.
- You have a broad background in Computer Science fundamentals.
- You've made (or experienced the result of) a lot of mistakes over the years. You've learned from each of them and hate repeating them.
- You can communicate complex concepts in a clear and concise way. You have a rigorous and disciplined thought process and have confidence in your ability to tackle most problems.
- You've been a technical leader in the past. You've led and mentored other engineers. But you still work well on a team and love learning from others.
- You've had experience with different system architectures and have opinions about what works and what doesn't. You make consistently pragmatic decisions.
We don't hire based on experience with a handful of tools. Instead, we want smart, capable, and experienced people who can learn out tools quickly (and suggest new ones!) as needed. Experience with our stack is just a bonus.
Here's what we use:
- Hashicorp suite (Nomad, Vault, Consul, Serf)
- Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure
- Cassandra, MySQL XtraDB, Kafka, and Memcache
- Elixir, Ruby, and Scala
Benefits to Get Excited About
- Competitive salaries and company equity
- Comprehensive benefits package including: medical, dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse and family; 401K, pre-tax commuter benefits, corporate discounts, cell phone allowance and more!
- Generous paid vacation (3 weeks vacation your first year, 4 weeks afterwards) in addition to 12 paid holidays and ample sick leave.
- Monthly company wide hack days
- Catered lunch daily, breakfast on Wednesdays, and plenty of snacks and drinks
- Convenient office location in SoMa tech hub – accessible by BART, Muni and CalTrain
How We Work
PagerDuty Engineering teams are set up to be mini innovation pods. We practice what we preach, and believe that every engineer can build great products to delight our thousands of customers.
Teams are set up to be able to achieve success autonomously while remaining accountable for results. Every team has full vertical ownership of their own services and are able to release as frequently as they want to. We practice the mantra of 'Code It. Ship It. Own It.' and believe that teams are most successful when they are able to own every decision in order to run their software. Every team gets to be a part of our growth by building highly resilient and durable software that scales from our startup customers to Fortune 100 companies.
We deploy over 1000 times a month and every engineer is able to ship high quality software to production on their own. Teams own their own tests and yes, we use PagerDuty to manage incidents. Teams own their own way of working and can use the agile practices of their choice to work collaboratively via incremental delivery.
We support engineers to explore ideas via monthly Hack Days, actively attack our own infrastructure weekly to learn and get better, host an annual internal technical conference called PagerCon, ask our engineers to represent PagerDuty at industry events, and contribute to the open source community.
Each team has a dedicated Engineering Manager, Product Manager, and agile coach to help support our people and teams to be successful. We believe that Management is a separate skill set and have different career paths for our engineers and managers including a full 'stay technical' career track.
PagerDuty is the leading digital operations management platform for businesses. Our SaaS-based solution empowers over 8,000 small, mid-size and enterprise global customers such as Comcast, eHarmony, Slack and Lululemon with the insight to intelligently respond to critical disruptions for exceptional customer experience. PagerDuty was founded to deliver a new and innovative approach to increase business response and efficiency. We follow agile methodology to build software that enables full-stack event intelligence, response orchestration, continuous learning and delivery, and facilitate the journey towards improved application, system, and service performance and availability. When brand reputation depends on customer satisfaction, PagerDuty arms businesses with the insight to proactively manage incidents and events that may impact customers across your IT environment. We were recently included in the 2016 Deloitte Technology Fast 500, Inc. 500 and Forbes Cloud 100 lists.
Our dedication to our customers, collaborative spirit, 'risk, fail, learn' attitude, and a Get Stuff Done ethos drive innovation through our product and our culture. We are incredibly proud of our people programs that enable our employees to deliver their best every day. From our performance achievement philosophy to our great benefits, our robust culture of recognition to our commitment to inclusion and diversity, solving complex technical problems to delivering an amazing customer experience, PagerDuty is where you can do the some of the best work of your career.
Learn more at www.pagerduty.com. Follow our blog and connect with us on Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Facebook.
PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accord with applicable law, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Meet Some of PagerDuty's Employees
Managing three teams of engineers—the Front-End UI Team, the Mobile Team, and the Platform Team—Sweta balances her focus between people management, career growth for her engineers, and advancing business goals.
Back to top