Principal Engineer, APIs and Developer Platforms
Why We Need You
You've built many features in SaaS applications and have led a number of projects from initial stages through to production. You have seen the show and know how to do it right. You are now looking to join a company as an influencer, where you are comfortable many significant, company-level impact decisions that will help drive the business forward in innovative ways.
At PagerDuty, we are building an incident management system to help IT operations groups detect and proactively respond to issues. Startups, Fortune 500 companies, and everything in-between rely on us to alert them quickly when they have operational troubles. We are not afraid to use the the latest and greatest tools and languages for our live production applications. We are undergoing big product changes to our Platform and facing technically-challenging problems to solve. We are looking for an experienced principal-level engineer and leader to paint a long-term technical Platform vision and help us design, scale, and build out new systems with our engineering teams.
How You Contribute to our Vision
We are broadening our Platform vision and reach and just starting the efforts, so you will have a big impact in shaping what and how this happens, from both a product and engineering standpoint. You will get a chance to work in many of our codebases, especially the ones containing Platform tooling and APIs.
- Build out a long-term technical vision for PagerDuty's Developer Platform offering. This includes design of new customer functionality, decisions around new services and how they interact with the larger ecosystem.
- Work closely with Platform product managers and UX as a product architect, which includes diving into new features to tease apart requirements in detail while keeping the longer-term roadmap in mind.
- Set processes and standards to be followed by the rest of PagerDuty on API design, development, and best practices.
- Help drive processes and implement changes for the surrounding Platform ecosystem, including our Integrations and Extensions strategy and community engagement & development.
- Provide guidance, technical leadership, and mentoring to other members of the Engineering team.
- 8+ years of experience designing and developing customer-facing SaaS or web-based applications
- Deep understanding of the full web technology stack (e.g. HTTP, cookies, headers, asset loading / caching)
- Mastery of at least one modern web programming framework: Ruby on Rails, Django, CakePHP, or similar
- 3+ years of experience with API development and tooling, such as Swagger, Runscope, etc.
- 3+ years designing & implementing distributed systems, which included making trade-offs between consistency, availaibility, complexity, etc.
- Experience bringing multiple major Platform projects from inception to completion into production
- Fearlessly self-driven
- Empathetic- you can clearly communicate your thoughts and opinions to others and facilitate these technical discussions to a successful outcome
You May Also Have
- Familiarity with datastore technologies (both RDBMS and NoSQL)
- Advanced UNIX sysadmin knowledge
- Contributions to open source projects
Benefits to Get Excited About
- Competitive salaries and company equity
- Comprehensive benefits package including: medical, dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse and family; 401K, pre-tax commuter benefits, corporate discounts, cell phone allowance and more!
- Generous paid vacation (3 weeks vacation your first year, 4 weeks afterwards) in addition to 12 paid holidays and ample sick leave.
- Monthly company wide hack days
- Catered lunch daily, breakfast on Wednesdays, and plenty of snacks and drinks
- Convenient office location in SoMa tech hub – accessible by BART, Muni and CalTrain
How We Work
PagerDuty Engineering teams are set up to be mini innovation pods. We practice what we preach, and believe that every engineer can build great products to delight our thousands of customers.
Teams are set up to be able to achieve success autonomously while remaining accountable for results. Every team has full vertical ownership of their own services and are able to release as frequently as they want to. We practice the mantra of 'Code It. Ship It. Own It.' and believe that teams are most successful when they are able to own every decision in order to run their software. Every team gets to be a part of our growth by building highly resilient and durable software that scales from our startup customers to Fortune 100 companies.
We deploy over 1000 times a month and every engineer is able to ship high quality software to production on their own. Teams own their own tests and yes, we use PagerDuty to manage incidents. Teams own their own way of working and can use the agile practices of their choice to work collaboratively via incremental delivery.
We support engineers to explore ideas via monthly Hack Days, actively attack our own infrastructure weekly to learn and get better, host an annual internal technical conference called PagerCon, ask our engineers to represent PagerDuty at industry events, and contribute to the open source community.
Each team has a dedicated Engineering Manager, Product Manager, and agile coach to help support our people and teams to be successful. We believe that Management is a separate skill set and have different career paths for our engineers and managers including a full 'stay technical' career track.About Us
PagerDuty is the leading digital operations management platform for businesses. Our SaaS-based solution empowers over 8,000 small, mid-size and enterprise global customers such as Comcast, eHarmony, Slack and Lululemon with the insight to intelligently respond to critical disruptions for exceptional customer experience. PagerDuty was founded to deliver a new and innovative approach to increase business response and efficiency. We follow agile methodology to build software that enables full-stack event intelligence, response orchestration, continuous learning and delivery, and facilitate the journey towards improved application, system, and service performance and availability. When brand reputation depends on customer satisfaction, PagerDuty arms businesses with the insight to proactively manage incidents and events that may impact customers across your IT environment. We were recently included in the 2016 Deloitte Technology Fast 500, Inc. 500 and Forbes Cloud 100 lists.
Our dedication to our customers, collaborative spirit, 'risk, fail, learn' attitude, and a Get Stuff Done ethos drive innovation through our product and our culture. We are incredibly proud of our people programs that enable our employees to deliver their best every day. From our performance achievement philosophy to our great benefits, our robust culture of recognition to our commitment to inclusion and diversity, solving complex technical problems to delivering an amazing customer experience, PagerDuty is where you can do the some of the best work of your career.
Learn more at www.pagerduty.com. Follow our blog and connect with us on Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Facebook.
PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accord with applicable law.
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.
Meet Some of PagerDuty's Employees
Managing three teams of engineers—the Front-End UI Team, the Mobile Team, and the Platform Team—Sweta balances her focus between people management, career growth for her engineers, and advancing business goals.
Back to top