Engineering Manager, Data Science
Why We Need You
We are seeking an experienced technical leader who will work closely with our Product organization to create and execute on strategy to deliver on data driven product innovation. You will oversee and manage a team of engineers focused on delivering best practice consulting, insights, data modeling, and tooling for enabling data driven decisions to improve our business.
How You Contribute to Our Vision
- You will oversee a team of highly experienced data scientists, engineers, modelers, and analysts.
- This position will partner with the leaders in Product, Engineering, Marketing, and Sales to ensure sustained value creation and competitive advantage.
- Areas of active interest for the team include data mining, deep learning applications for revenue optimization, statistical modeling, predictive analytics, machine learning, and NLP just to name a few areas we are currently invested in.
- Work with other engineering managers to help drive cultural changes across the organization.
- Continue growing the team by working with recruiting and bringing on board the best talent.
- Lead data science teams through research, design, development, and implementation of solutions that benefit the business.
- Work with product counterparts to use data for the benefit of customers.
- Bring thought leadership to advance the overall state of technology for data science and analytics.
- Hiring, mentoring, retaining, and managing a highly skilled set of Software Development Engineers and Data Scientists. Partnering with them to deliver and growing their careers.
- Relentlessly drive focus on both quality and timeliness of the delivery.
- Experience architecting and managing large-scale data products and systems from conception to deployment and beyond.
- Excellent ability to communicate the vision, deliverables, and results of complex analytical models to executives and customers.
- You will draw on customer feedback as well as usage and operational data to quickly iterate and evolve our products and services.
- A proven track record of excellence in statistical modeling and inference, executive consulting, and hands-on proficiency with data modeling, analysis, ETL, and visualization tools.
Benefits to Get Excited About
- Competitive salaries and company equity
- Comprehensive benefits package including: medical, dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse and family; 401K, pre-tax commuter benefits, corporate discounts, cell phone allowance and more!
- Generous paid vacation (3 weeks vacation your first year, 4 weeks afterwards) in addition to 12 paid holidays and ample sick leave.
- Monthly company wide hack days
- Catered lunch daily, breakfast on Wednesdays, and plenty of snacks and drinks
- Convenient office location in SoMa tech hub – accessible by BART, Muni and CalTrain
How We Work
PagerDuty Engineering teams are set up to be mini innovation pods. We practice what we preach, and believe that every engineer can build great products to delight our thousands of customers.
Teams are set up to be able to achieve success autonomously while remaining accountable for results. Every team has full vertical ownership of their own services and are able to release as frequently as they want to. We practice the mantra of 'Code It. Ship It. Own It.' and believe that teams are most successful when they are able to own every decision in order to run their software. Every team gets to be a part of our growth by building highly resilient and durable software that scales from our startup customers to Fortune 100 companies.
We deploy over 1000 times a month and every engineer is able to ship high quality software to production on their own. Teams own their own tests and yes, we use PagerDuty to manage incidents. Teams own their own way of working and can use the agile practices of their choice to work collaboratively via incremental delivery.
We support engineers to explore ideas via monthly Hack Days, actively attack our own infrastructure weekly to learn and get better, host an annual internal technical conference called PagerCon, ask our engineers to represent PagerDuty at industry events, and contribute to the open source community.
Each team has a dedicated Engineering Manager, Product Manager, and agile coach to help support our people and teams to be successful. We believe that Management is a separate skill set and have different career paths for our engineers and managers including a full 'stay technical' career track.About Us
PagerDuty is the leading digital operations management platform for businesses. Our SaaS-based solution empowers over 8,000 small, mid-size and enterprise global customers such as Comcast, eHarmony, Slack and Lululemon with the insight to intelligently respond to critical disruptions for exceptional customer experience. PagerDuty was founded to deliver a new and innovative approach to increase business response and efficiency. We follow agile methodology to build software that enables full-stack event intelligence, response orchestration, continuous learning and delivery, and facilitate the journey towards improved application, system, and service performance and availability. When brand reputation depends on customer satisfaction, PagerDuty arms businesses with the insight to proactively manage incidents and events that may impact customers across your IT environment. We were recently included in the 2016 Deloitte Technology Fast 500, Inc. 500 and Forbes Cloud 100 lists.
Our dedication to our customers, collaborative spirit, 'risk, fail, learn' attitude, and a Get Stuff Done ethos drive innovation through our product and our culture. We are incredibly proud of our people programs that enable our employees to deliver their best every day. From our performance achievement philosophy to our great benefits, our robust culture of recognition to our commitment to inclusion and diversity, solving complex technical problems to delivering an amazing customer experience, PagerDuty is where you can do the some of the best work of your career.
Learn more at www.pagerduty.com. Follow our blog and connect with us on Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Facebook.
PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accord with applicable law, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Meet Some of PagerDuty's Employees
Managing three teams of engineers—the Front-End UI Team, the Mobile Team, and the Platform Team—Sweta balances her focus between people management, career growth for her engineers, and advancing business goals.
Back to top