Why We Need You
We are actively seeking an Engineering Manager to lead a team of passionate engineers, where you will have the opportunity to shape and scale the culture as PagerDuty continues its growth. Your team will own some of the most critical systems at PagerDuty and deliver innovative product features through continuous iteration.
At PagerDuty, we are building an incident management solution to help companies triage, fix, notify, and respond to issues before customers are aware of them. Startups, Fortune 500 companies, and everything in-between rely on us in mission-critical times to make sure their businesses stay up and running. We are not afraid to use the the latest and greatest technologies in our production environments. We are looking for an Engineering Manager that can help us grow and mature as an Engineering organization and help their teams deliver great experiences directly to our customers.
How You Contribute to Our Vision: Key Responsibilities
- Oversee a distributed team of highly motivated engineers spanning all experience levels, from first-time intern to principal engineer.
- Collaborate with the team on setting the product and technical roadmaps along with plans for getting us there.
- Work with engineering, product, and UX stakeholders to facilitate project delivery.
- Work with other engineering managers to help drive cultural changes across the organization.
- Recruit and retain the best talent across the globe.
- Participating in your team's on-call rotation, triaging and addressing production issues as they arise
- You are not a micromanager. You enable and empower a team to do great work beyond what you could accomplish on your own.
- Understand the balance between planning out work and just getting things done, between getting your hands dirty and getting out of the team's way.
- Experience helping your teams consistently ship value to customers. You go out of your way to make sure that you articulate that value within as well as outside of the team.
- Experience hiring talented senior engineers and supported them to do impactful work. You have also hired and developed junior engineers to realize their full potential.
- Excellent ability to communicate in all directions of the org chart and understand the importance of laying out context for the team instead of prescribing solutions.
- Previous engineering leadership experience.
- Experience managing healthy and high achieving teams.
- Have a deep understanding of agile principles and how to apply them effectively.
- You can still code if needed (though that won't be the primary function of this role).
- Have worked on large scale systems and know the pitfalls that can come with under or over engineering.
- Competitive salaries and company equity
- Comprehensive benefits package including dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse and family, cell phone allowance and more!
- Generous paid vacation (3 weeks vacation your first year, 4 weeks afterwards) in addition to 12 paid holidays and ample sick leave
- Monthly company wide hack days
- Catered lunch daily and plenty of snacks and drinks
- Convenient, central Toronto office location, easily accessible to public transportation
Teams are set up to be able to achieve success autonomously while remaining accountable for results. Every team has full vertical ownership of their own services and are able to release as frequently as they want to. We practice the mantra of 'Code It. Ship It. Own It.' and believe that teams are most successful when they are able to own every decision in order to run their software. Every team gets to be a part of our growth by building highly resilient and durable software that scales from our startup customers to Fortune 100 companies.
We deploy over 1000 times a month and every engineer is able to ship high quality software to production on their own. Teams own their own tests and yes, we use PagerDuty to manage incidents. Teams own their own way of working and can use the agile practices of their choice to work collaboratively via incremental delivery.
We support engineers to explore ideas via monthly Hack Days, actively attack our own infrastructure weekly to learn and get better, host an annual internal technical conference called PagerCon, ask our engineers to represent PagerDuty at industry events, and contribute to the open source community.
Each team has a dedicated Engineering Manager, Product Owner, and agile coach to help support our people and teams to be successful. We believe that Management is a separate skill set and have different career paths for our engineers and managers including a full 'stay technical' career track. About Us PagerDuty is the leading digital operations management platform for businesses. Our SaaS-based solution empowers over 9,000 small, mid-size and enterprise global customers such as Comcast, eHarmony, Slack and Lululemon with the insight to intelligently respond to critical disruptions for exceptional customer experience. PagerDuty was founded to deliver a new and innovative approach to increase business response and efficiency. We follow agile methodology to build software that enables full-stack event intelligence, response orchestration, continuous learning and delivery, and facilitate the journey towards improved application, system, and service performance and availability. When brand reputation depends on customer satisfaction, PagerDuty arms businesses with the insight to proactively manage incidents and events that may impact customers across your IT environment. We were recently included in the 2016 Deloitte Technology Fast 500, Inc. 500 and Forbes Cloud 100 lists.
Our dedication to our customers, collaborative spirit, 'risk, fail, learn' attitude, and a Get Stuff Done ethos drive innovation through our product and our culture. We are incredibly proud of our people programs that enable our employees to deliver their best every day. From our performance achievement philosophy to our great benefits, our robust culture of recognition to our commitment to inclusion and diversity, solving complex technical problems to delivering an amazing customer experience, PagerDuty is where you can do the some of the best work of your career.
Learn more at www.pagerduty.com. Follow our blog and connect with us on Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Facebook.
PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accord with applicable law.
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.
Meet Some of PagerDuty's Employees
Managing three teams of engineers—the Front-End UI Team, the Mobile Team, and the Platform Team—Sweta balances her focus between people management, career growth for her engineers, and advancing business goals.
Back to top