Why We Need You
We are actively seeking an Engineering Manager to help further PagerDuty's stellar track record of reliability while also supporting our engineering organization to move as quickly as possible. Thousands of companies depend on PagerDuty to be available and always operational, but they also expect innovation as we build out an entirely new product category.
How You Contribute to Our Vision
- You will build out and support a world class team in doing the best work of their careers.
- You get excited about working across entire engineering organizations in helping every engineer be as productive and effective as possible.
- You will work with other engineering teams to help them find the right balance of innovation vs. stability. You know that engineering culture and engineering tooling co-evolve with each other and are interdependent.
- You will recruit and retain the best talent across the globe. You understand that recruiting is not just about looking at resumes, but more about inspiring people to join a team and do amazing work.
- You (rightfully) will express opinions on how our product should, or should not, work since you have relevant hands-on experience managing teams that have been on-call.
- You have led successful distributed Site Reliability Engineering teams in the past. You have helped overcome the challenges and leveraged the benefits that come with distributed teams.
- You have built healthy and high achieving teams before. You understand the importance of laying out context for the team instead of prescribing solutions.
- You have spoken at conferences or published public articles on how Site Reliability Engineering teams can thrive.
- You have hired amazing senior engineers and supported them to do amazing work. Likewise, you have also hired and developed junior engineers to realize their full potential.
- You have helped your teams consistently ship value to customers. You go out of your way to make sure that you articulate that value to the team itself and to the customers.
- You have worked on large scale systems and know the pitfalls that can come with under or over engineering.
- You have an excellent ability to communicate in all directions of the org chart.
- You have leveraged data to make decisions and know where your progress against a goal is. You have also known when to "go with your gut" and make a decision when the data was incomplete or did not tell the whole story.
We do no hire based on experience with a handful of tools. Instead we want smart, capable, and experienced people who can learn our tools (and suggest new ones!) as needed.
Here's what we use:
Benefits to get Excited About
- Competitive salaries and company equity
- Comprehensive benefits package including: medical, dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse and family; 401K, pre-tax commuter benefits, corporate discounts, cell phone allowance and more!
- Generous paid vacation (3 weeks vacation your first year, 4 weeks afterwards) in addition to 12 paid holidays and ample sick leave.
- Monthly company wide hack days
- Catered lunch daily, breakfast on Wednesdays, and plenty of snacks and drinks
- Convenient office location in SoMa tech hub – accessible by BART, Muni and CalTrain
How We Work
PagerDuty Engineering teams are set up to be mini innovation pods. We practice what we preach, and believe that every engineer can build great products to delight our thousands of customers.
Teams are set up to be able to achieve success autonomously while remaining accountable for results. Every team has full vertical ownership of their own services and are able to release as frequently as they want to. We practice the mantra of 'Code It. Ship It. Own It.' and believe that teams are most successful when they are able to own every decision in order to run their software. Every team gets to be a part of our growth by building highly resilient and durable software that scales from our startup customers to Fortune 100 companies.
We deploy over 1000 times a month and every engineer is able to ship high quality software to production on their own. Teams own their own tests and yes, we use PagerDuty to manage incidents. Teams own their own way of working and can use the agile practices of their choice to work collaboratively via incremental delivery.
We support engineers to explore ideas via monthly Hack Days, actively attack our own infrastructure weekly to learn and get better, host an annual internal technical conference called PagerCon, ask our engineers to represent PagerDuty at industry events, and contribute to the open source community.
Each team has a dedicated Engineering Manager, Product Manager, and agile coach to help support our people and teams to be successful. We believe that Management is a separate skill set and have different career paths for our engineers and managers including a full 'stay technical' career track.
PagerDuty is the leading digital operations management platform for businesses. Our SaaS-based solution empowers over 8,000 small, mid-size and enterprise global customers such as Comcast, eHarmony, Slack and Lululemon with the insight to intelligently respond to critical disruptions for exceptional customer experience. PagerDuty was founded to deliver a new and innovative approach to increase business response and efficiency. We follow agile methodology to build software that enables full-stack event intelligence, response orchestration, continuous learning and delivery, and facilitate the journey towards improved application, system, and service performance and availability. When brand reputation depends on customer satisfaction, PagerDuty arms businesses with the insight to proactively manage incidents and events that may impact customers across your IT environment. We were recently included in the 2016 Deloitte Technology Fast 500, Inc. 500 and Forbes Cloud 100 lists.
Our dedication to our customers, collaborative spirit, 'risk, fail, learn' attitude, and a Get Stuff Done ethos drive innovation through our product and our culture. We are incredibly proud of our people programs that enable our employees to deliver their best every day. From our performance achievement philosophy to our great benefits, our robust culture of recognition to our commitment to inclusion and diversity, solving complex technical problems to delivering an amazing customer experience, PagerDuty is where you can do the some of the best work of your career.
Learn more at www.pagerduty.com. Follow our blog and connect with us on Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Facebook.
PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accord with applicable law, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Meet Some of PagerDuty's Employees
Managing three teams of engineers—the Front-End UI Team, the Mobile Team, and the Platform Team—Sweta balances her focus between people management, career growth for her engineers, and advancing business goals.
Back to top