Product Development Engineer
DESCRIPTION: Work directly with product managers, sales, marketing, and customer contacts to determine the design requirements for new products in the foodservice market. Lead new product projects thru all phases of the development process. ie. concept development, industrial design and 3D CAD engineering design, prototyping, performance validation, definition of manufacturing plan, product costing and capital requirements definition, implementation schedule, production product performance validation and customer acceptance of final product.
- Interact with sales and customer contacts to define product requirements, specifications and functional requirements.
- Organize, research and lead brainstorm events around unique customer problems
- Interact with internal subject matter experts to lead product design for all internal material platforms. (Rigid sheet thermoforming, Foam thermoforming, paper, injection molding, molded fiber, extrusion, etc)
- Develop complete 3D CAD models and 2D engineering drawings for products using PTC Creo software
- Develop performance specification and testing methodology to define and validate product performance.
- Develop product cost models using internal costing tools.
- Work with tooling engineering and operations engineering teams to define manufacturing strategy and capital plans required for product implementation.
- Define development and commercialization timelines.
- Assemble capital requirement outlines for development and commercialization of new products.
- Maintain and update project reporting lists. Participate in regular organizational project update meetings.
- Travel to Pactiv locations and customer locations for on-site project related events
- Data mine for industry related information and form an understanding of our customer's brands and food packaging needs.
- Relate new ideas via group presentations (PowerPoint) and written communication (email)
- Analyze 3D CAD models to evaluate functional performance using finite element analysis
- Prepare CAD models for translation to stereo lithography, fuse deposition modeling, and CAM processes
- Interact with tooling and manufacturing groups to revise and prepare designs for prototyping and commercialization
- Coordinate prototyping activities, plant trials and testing lab related trials on products and prototypes.
- Travel to Pactiv manufacturing locations to support commercialization activities.
- Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent) preferred, in Engineering or related technical field with 4 to 10 years related experience.
- Demonstrated excellence and speed in CAD design and solid modeling (Creo)
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Driven to achieve great results throughout the design and development process
- Passionate about the end user experience, with an eye and hand for leading edge/emotionally compelling design
- Ability to consistently earn and maintain the trust of clients and collaborators
- Able to bring vitality to group innovation process
- Comfortable with a large corporate environment and structure
- Ability to work very effectively with limited direction on multiple high priority programs
- Mockup and quick prototype skills
- Manufacturing and design for manufacturing knowledge specifically for thermoforming and injection molding
- Understanding of tooling and machining practices for thermoform and injection molds
- Interdisciplinary team experience
- Project team management experience
- Ability to understand big picture and customer related business issues
- Ability to visualize and effectively communicate research results
Pactiv is an Equal Opportunity Employer EEO AA M/F/Vet/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veterans status, or any other characteristics protected by law. #CB1 #IND1P "IND1P"
Meet Some of Pactiv's Employees
Customer Account Representative
As a Customer Account Representative within Pactiv's Foodservice Distribution Unit, Saki works with a number of high-level accounts and ensures that distribution runs smoothly.
Back to top