Paperboard Package Design Engineer
Paperboard Package Design Engineer
This position is for Pactiv, a company of Reynolds Group Holding Inc.
Lead the design and development of innovative new paper-based packaging for food products in the food service, consumer packaged goods and food processor markets. Lead all phases from conceptual design initiation & definition, engineering design, sample prototyping for performance validation, coordination with production plant manufacturing capability & capacity, product costing and capital requirements definition, implementation planning, product performance validation and customer acceptance.
This is a high visibility position working in direct contact with all areas of the company including Product Management, Sales, Marketing, Manufacturing Operations, Die-making, Tooling & Engineering and Finance.
This position can be based in Lake Forest or Bedford Park, IL or Downingtown, PA
- Lead Reactive/Responsive Paperboard Product Design Innovation & new Packaging Development Projects
- Interact with sales and customer contacts to define product packaging requirements, specifications and functional requirements, and timelines based on market or customer specific needs
- Coordinate prototyping activities including customer focus group & lab testing of product packaging prototypes & manufacturing trials.
- Maintain and update project reporting & Record of Invention IP documentation with corporate General Legal Counsel
- Ability to create manufacturable product designs thru knowledge of manufacturing processes equipment and tooling i.e. die making, printing, cutting, forming, gluing & case-packing of formed single/double-wall paper cups and of formed/nested and folded/flat paperboard cartons
- Work with tooling engineering and operations engineering teams to define manufacturing strategy and capital plans required for product implementation.
- Assist development of product cost estimates using internal costing tools.
- Assist capital requirement assembly outlines for development and commercialization of new paperboard packaging products.
- Travel to Pactiv locations and customer locations for on-site project related events
- Develop 2D engineering & 3D isometric drawings for packaging products using ArtiosCAD software. (or similar design software)
- Organize, research and lead brainstorm events around solving unique customer problems, product design modification & manufacturing process cost saving opportunities
- Interact with & provide prototype sample products to tooling engineering and manufacturing engineering groups to validate product manufacturability
- Interact with internal & external subject matter experts to lead product design for all paper-based material platforms. (Paper substrate type/properties as well as determination & testing of any required laminations and/or press-applied coatings etc.)
- Develop performance specification and testing methodology to define and validate paperboard packaging product performance.
- Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent) preferred in Industrial Design, Engineering or related technical field
- 5 to 10 years relevant experience
- Experience with CAD software packages ArtiosCAD 2D & 3D design or Solidworks or AutoCAD Inventor (or similar)
- Driven to achieve results throughout the design and development process
- Ability to bring vitality & focus to group innovation process
- Open to 15% to 20% travel
- Experience with single and double-wall paper cup design & PMC forming equipment
- Experience with developing formed/nested paper packages as well as glued/flat blank designs
- Prototype skills including making paperboard registered graphic mock-ups using Kongsberg sample-making equipment
- Understanding of commercially available paperboard substrate properties, lamination processes and press-applied coatings for paperboard.
At Pactiv, continuous innovation and development has secured our place as one of the world’s largest manufacturers and distributors of foodservice and food packaging products. Pactiv currently produces custom and stock foam, plastic, aluminum, pressed-paperboard, PE coated board, and molded-fiber packaging. Our global force of almost 12,000 team members allows us to supply packers, processors, supermarkets, restaurants, institutions and foodservice industries around the world. Over the years, Pactiv has consistently outpaced the competition in safety, innovation and strategic acquisitions. Want to learn more? Visit www.Pactiv.com
Pactiv is an Equal Opportunity Employer EEO AA M/F/Vet/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran’s status, or any other characteristics protected by law. #LI-TM1 "IND1P"
Meet Some of Pactiv's Employees
As a Project Lead, Joanie works to drive Pactiv's revenue growth by improving marketing strategies, increasing efficiencies, and finding new ways to better serve the company's customers.
Back to top