Wool Hot End Complex Leader
Location: Newark, Ohio – United States
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Operations Manager is accountable for providing leadership for our Hot End Department. The successful candidate must have strong leadership skills, a passion for safety while driving a zero accident culture, zero customer complaints, employee engagement, impeccable housekeeping and drive the change needed to meet business objectives.
The successful candidate must have a strong sense of personal commitment towards the business and its customers; a drive for total business success through personal enthusiasm and a must succeed attitude; an ability to foster teamwork throughout the organization; communicate effectively and openly at all levels with equal balance between listening and talking; and a focus on employee development via challenging employees while also raising the bar. The candidate must build a culture of mutual trust, respect and accountability in a union environment. In addition, the successful candidate must be able to motivate and enroll employees in the Plant’s business strategy and deliver results.
Other expectations are:
- Accountable for employee safety, cost reduction programs, productivity, product quality, employee growth and development and sustainability.
- Cultivate a customer focused culture
- Ensure exceptional operational performance
- Set clear and measurable performance expectations, in line with Newark Plant, Divisional and Corporate Goals
- Increase the value of the enterprise by identifying and eliminating waste to improve productivity and cash flow through continuous improvement efforts and lean methodologies
- Demonstrate commitment for building a work environment that nurtures and facilitates open communication, employee engagement and diversity
- Leads with a clear view of where the organization needs to be in 1-3 years and consistently delivers day-to-day results to achieve that view
Reports to: Wool Plant Leader
- Live the Safety stand, adhere to the safety responsibilities.
- Ensure a safe work environment through strict adherence to OC safety policies and procedures
- Training and developing employees to safely perform their jobs
- Leading and supporting safety initiatives and processes to remain at zero recordable injuries
- Drive continuous improvement in the areas of safety and housekeeping
- Effectively communicate Owens Corning’s stand on safety through the Plant to ensure Front Line Leaders and employees believe and behave in a manner that supports our stand that all accidents are preventable, safety is everyone’s responsibility and that working safely is a condition of employment at Owens Corning.
- Knowing Our Customers
- Understanding and communicating customer expectations throughout the Department and ensure that all products meet customer standards and requirements
- Ensuring timely and accurate production schedules in order to meet or exceed delivery to promise
- Ensuring operational procedures are followed to product specifications and quality metrics are met to meet customers’ needs
- Facilitating a culture to maintain, improve and/or develop customer relationships
- Leading and supporting quality initiatives and processes to drive towards zero defects
- Raise the quality systems and service to provide a customer experience that fosters strong relations
- Development and Execution of Annual Objectives
The strategy will consist of the following:
- Safety for an Injury Free Work Environment
- Engaged in determining Critical Outcomes for Department
- People Strategy including talent development
- Operational Excellence through productivity and waste elimination
- Sustainability and Environmental Compliance / Stewardship
- Customer Service and Satisfaction
- Directing Operations
Will have the responsibility to:
- Provide effective vision leadership and vision to plant personnel
- Provide an injury free environment
- Engage employees and create a work environment in which employees become compelled to commit to their organization and its bottom line with a feeling of pride and job ownership
- Ensure effective deployment of employee/labor relations practices
- Control/Reduce Operating Cost. Identify opportunities to enhance efficiencies, streamline processes and leverage resources in order to reduce cost.
- Establish World Class Housekeeping
- Respond to unplanned downtime events with a sense of urgency with attention to safety and detail
- Partner with the customer in order to cultivate a customer-focused culture which:
- Creates an environment in which products and processes are designed to ensure customer satisfaction
- Effectively incorporates customer perspectives in all business activities
- Leading and Developing Talent
Will have responsibility to:
- Create and sustain a culture where talent is developed through effective performance management, talent evaluation and utilization of people
- Effectively staff the organization, providing competent people and the appropriate mix of both internal and external talent to satisfy both near-term and long-term succession needs
- Attract, develop and retain the very best talent
- Establishing clear and measurable expectations of performance and review commitments to ensure goals are achieved; coach employees to develop and execute growth and development plans
- Monitoring and enforcing plant policies in a consistent manner to ensure a positive labor environment
- Actively leading and building effective work teams and committees to increase plant performance and drive continuous improvement initiatives.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of manufacturing experience in a manufacturing facility or environment
- A minimum of 3 years leadership experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Engineering is required. Advanced degree preferred.
- Demonstrated capability in change management
- Ability to effectively communicate to all levels of management and all primary employees
- Six Sigma Certification and Lean Manufacturing experience preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Able to engage and care for others starting with Safety
- High level of tolerance for stress
- Ability to influence without authority
- Leadership skills and experience gained from on the job and formal training in team leadership, facilitation, problem solving, diversity, safety, waste elimination and lean manufacturing
- Building strong teams
- Strong process, engineering and technical abilities
- Experience in dealing with union operations
- Business and financial acumen
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and turn strategy into action
- Able to achieve results fast both individually and through others
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company’s market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 16,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 62 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
Back to top