Sr Engineer, R&D - Shingles
Location: Columbus, OH – United States
The Product Development Engineer manages the development, implementation and support of new technologies related to residential roofing products. Owens Corning currently sells and manufactures shingles and related products, such as Hip & Ridge shingles and underlayments. This role will translate customer, manufacturing & application needs of into effective shingle and component product designs and specifications. The candidate will lead product development projects to successfully deliver customer-inspired solutions for our Roofing and Asphalt business. The Product Development Engineer will collaborate with Product Management, Manufacturing, Science and Technology, Sourcing, Capital Engineering, Intellectual Property, Product Stewardship, and Marketing organizations to deliver cross-functional product development opportunities.
This role will have three specific accountabilities:
- To engage and partner with customers, end-users, sales and marketing to identify and develop product features that customers value.
- To partner with cross functional resources to develop and launch products that meet customer needs. To serve as project and/or technical lead for product development projects.
- To engage and partner with Roofing and Asphalt plants and/or 3rd party vendors to create quality specifications and execute product manufacturing.
The position reports to the R&D Leader for Roofing Product Development
- Demonstrate a commitment to safety
- Lead and participate in regular safety meetings and ensures compliance to standard safety procedures and OC corporate policies.
- Implement safety action plan; co-lead regular safety initiatives.
- Identify and eliminate work-place hazards.
- Translate customer needs into product designs and industrial processes
- Translate customer insights into product prototypes and rapidly iterate with customers to evaluate concepts and deliver customer-validatied product designs
- Develop and execute testing plan to validate product performance, including produce and test mimics as needed.
- Employ statistical methodologies to drive efficient data-based decisions
- Create and qualify product and test mimics as needed to validate performance
- Partner with cross functional resources to develop and launch products that meet customer needs.
- Partner with plants and vendors to develop quality standards and specifications and execute manufacturing
- Actively collect and analyze competitive product trends and utilize to drive product line enhancements and developments
- Execute project leadership on programs
- Lead stage-gated product development projects from concept to commercialization
- Define, manage, and communicate the scope, timeline, and resources needed
- Identify, assess, and mitigate project risks utilizing FMEA methodology
- Engage large cross-functional teams to ensure consistent alignment with the business strategy throughout the project and to ensure delivery of project objectives
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with people at all levels within the organization
- Provide technical support leadership
- Provide technical support to manufacturing to enhance or evaluate existing products
- Provide technical support to the business to evaluate new market opportunities
- Provide product training to sales and marketing to communicate product benefits, application methods and answer questions.
- Initiate and drive external relationships, potentially including industry codes and standards, to build knowledge and product leadership
Experience and Knowledge Requirements:
- MS or PhD in Scientific or Engineering Degree.
- A minimum of 5 years experience in a research and development environment is required.
- A minimum of 5 years of product development experience is required.
- Willingness to travel 15-30% on average.
- Demonstrated effective project and technical leadership in R&D and manufacturing environments.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and meet key milestones, to work and communicate effectively with people at all levels within the organization, and to contribute technical solutions.
- Proficiency in obtaining and translating customer insights into valuable product designs.
- Proficiency in the appropriate definition and solution of complex technical problems.
- Proficiency in using statistics to drive efficient data-based decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to generate new Intellectual Property.
- Asphalt based or roofing related experience is preferred.
- Technical knowledge and experience with roofing products, processes, applications, and customers is preferred.
- Experience with ASTM, ICC, ARMA and other roofing manufacturing trade associations, testing agencies and code bodies is preferred.
- Experience with ethnography and human centered design methodology and tools are preferred.
- Six Sigma Certification is preferred.
Teamwork Oriented – Self-starter who works with minimal supervision that balances multiple assignments; works effectively across technology, marketing, and production groups to ensure project success
Accountability – knows what needs to be done and gets it done. Willingly takes responsibility for project outcomes as a whole; unafraid of owning the results, actions and decisions of self or organization. Committed to follow through to completion.
Judgment and Decision Making – Recognizes issues, problems, or opportunities and determines whether action is needed. Chooses appropriate action by formulating clear decision criteria and evaluates options by considering implications and consequences. Implements decisions or initiates action within a reasonable time.
Customer Driven – Always honors promises and treats customers the way they deserve to be treated, regardless of market conditions; and causes a brand experience that emotionally connects customers to our company.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company’s market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 15,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 61 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
Back to top