Sr Area Sales Manager- West
Location: Los Angeles, California – United States
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Owens Corning Building Insulation Mineral Wool (Thermafiber®) sales organization is seeking an Area Sales Manager (ASM). This position is accountable to drive profitable sales growth for our customers and Owens Corning by providing customer inspired solutions while executing on Owens Corning sales and marketing initiatives for the Southwest USA territory. Territory includes California, Hawaii, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico and Western Texas.
The ASM must establish and maintain existing relationships with customers in the territory and develop new customer relationships to meet our growth agenda. Product knowledge, application, building science, financial business acumen and the ability to develop industry / market knowledge and opportunity analyses are critical to help our customers be successful.
Knowing Our Customers (Driving Business Growth through deep customer knowledge and market understanding)
- Continuously builds intimate insight and knowledge of the market and customers within the territory, their business, what is necessary for the customer to be successful, and the differential value that our current and future products, programs and processes deliver to the customer.
- Understands what is necessary for the direct customer to be successful, generates measurable differential value from current and future products, programs and processes delivered to the customer.
Developing Territory Strategy
The Area Sales Manager will provide the following insights:
- An environmental analysis that includes:
- Economic impacts
- Market trends
- Competitor intelligence and strategies
- Clear needs of the customer and the customer’s strategy
- An analysis of competitors’ strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats (Understanding of why the customer is buying from the competition).
- An analysis of external and execution risks and their potential impact on business segment results, including a risk mitigation plan with identified actions.
Execution – Delivering Results
The ASM will be a strong implementer of the division strategy for each of the products and solutions they represent and drive actions toward meeting their sales and margin goals. Specific activities include:
- Communicate with all major customers so customers know our strategic plans, how to position for market conditions, and build trust with the customers.
- Delivers on the plans for all segments; optimizes for Owens Corning and the customer
- Identifies and delivers differential value for OC and our customers
- Work directly with the Market Development Managers and Commercial Area Managers within the team. Key components of being the leader in the Building Insulation business is to convert builders, integrating all products and solutions into the insulation portfolio, understanding market dynamics and align with all team members to drive success.
- Develops and implements customer operating plans with a 3 year vision, as well as annual plans
- Continually seeks knowledge of the competition and ensures the information is fed back into the organization in a way that can shape action
- Manages margin through strategic price, actionable cost management, and effective negotiation using accurate and reliable reporting tools
- Through communication and behavior, advances our desired market role and positioning
- Recommends resourcing and funding decisions that maximize value for Owens Corning
- Identifies and develops process changes to eliminate waste/increase profitability for Owens Corning and our customers
- Makes the customer’s strategies known and relevant outside of sales; gets others in the game with them
- Establishes strong and productive customer relationships while ensuring customers meet their financial goals
- Communicates the full value that can be derived from each of our products, services, systems and solutions; individually and collectively
- Ensures a safe, clean and environmentally compliant work environment and builds a culture where safety is a first priority.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field
- Direct sales experience of 3 – 5 years preferred
- Experience in the commercial building materials industry and a strong building science knowledge is preferred
- Experience effectively marketing, educating and selling new products and solutions; attracting new customers
- Experience using Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, tablets (i.e. I-pad or Surface).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated ability to build strong customer relationships
- Possess excellent presentation skills, a strong customer focus, and the ability to manage change.
- Well-organized, self-starter with high work standards.
- Demonstrated ability to develop an intimate knowledge of customers, competition, and the market
- Ability to make persuasive product presentations by understanding customer’s needs.
- Negotiation skills
- Listening, fact gathering, developing conclusions, developing strategies / recommendation, and executing action plans
- Consistent in asserting themselves and willing to speak up to defend point of view.
- Approaches work with considerable energy and stamina despite distraction or unreasonable demands.
- Conducts himself/herself with the highest ethical and moral standards
- Strong organization and, specifically, deadline management skills
- Ability to understand and apply internal and external databases and sales tools.
- Works well cross functionally (i.e. marketing, sales, R&D)
- Applies continuous improvement to the sales process to improve business execution and results
- Demonstrated dependable ability to prioritize, follow-up and execute against multiple opportunities
- Makes decisions and commits to a course of action
- Shows appreciation for and understanding of the feelings of others, aware of personal impact on others, Expresses opinions without offending or creating defensiveness
- Demonstrates leadership within teams
- Ability to travel as business needs dictate – up to 70% of the time
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company’s market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 15,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 61 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
Back to top