Sr Area Sales Manager - Indiana
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana – United States
Sr. Area Sales Manager
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Sr. Area Sales Manager (ASM) in the building materials distribution sales organization is responsible for all aspects of sales and service to a mixture of building materials customers in the Indianapolis, IN area. The ASM is accountable to achieve mutual growth and profitability objectives for our customers and Owens Corning. The person selected must establish and maintain relationships with customers to include all stakeholders in the territory. This includes one-step and two-step distribution, dealers, contractors, architects and other influencers. New and existing account development in these market segments is critical to meet our growth objectives. Product knowledge, application, building science, financial business acumen and the ability to develop industry / market knowledge and opportunity analyses are critical to the success of this role.
Reports to: Regional Sales Leader
Strategy Execution – Deliver Results
- Metrics include: Revenue, Gross Margin, Volume, the sale of Strategic Products as well as individual goals.
- Execute annual sales plans, individual and team goals, and implement customer operating plans with a 3 year vision.
- Identify and deliver differential value for OC and our customers.
- Manage margin through strategic price, actionable cost management, and effective negotiation using accurate and reliable reporting tools.
- Advance our desired market role and positioning through by creating value for the customer.
- Recommend resourcing and funding decisions that maximize value for Owens Corning.
- Identify and develop process changes to eliminate waste/increase profitability for Owens Corning and our customers.
- Establish strong and productive customer relationships while ensuring customers meet their financial goals.
- Communicate the full value that can be derived from each of our products, services, systems and solutions, individually and collectively.
- Execute individual and team strategies, and take action to support customer strategies.
- Ensure a safe, clean and environmentally compliant work environment, and build a culture where safety is the first priority.
Drive business growth through customer knowledge and market understanding
- Build intimate insight and knowledge of market dynamics and needs, and the competitive landscape.
- Know current and potential customers within the territory, their business, what is necessary for the customer to be successful, and the differential value that our products, programs and processes deliver.
- Understand what is necessary for the direct customer to be successful.
- Seek knowledge of the competition and ensure information is fed back into the organization in a way that can shape action.
- Communicate customer’s strategies and involve others in the solution.
- Conduct meaningful customer discovery interviews to ensure we are delivering on what each customer values most.
Develop Territory Strategy
- Partner with the regional sales leader, peers, and support functions to develop a territory market plan that identifies long term goals and short terms needs to support those goals.
- Provide the following insights:
- An analysis that includes: economic impacts, market trends, competitor intelligence and strategies, clear needs of the customer and the customer’s strategy
- An analysis of competitors’ strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats (Understanding of why the customer is buying from the competition).
- An analysis of external and execution risks and their potential impact on business segment results, including a risk mitigation plan with identified actions.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field
- 3 – 5 years direct sales experience preferred
- Experience in the building materials industry preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated ability to develop a sale from cold call through close
- Ability to operate across geographic and cultural boundaries
- Ability to market, educate and sell new products and services; attracting new customers
- Demonstrated ability to build strong customer relationships
- Ability to overcome obstacles and challenges to drive for maximum customer-driven results
- Ability to make persuasive product presentations by understanding customer’s needs
- Negotiation skills
- Demonstrates leadership within teams
- Consistent in asserting self and willing to speak up to defend point of view
- Approaches work with considerable energy and stamina
- Dependable and able to follow-up and execute against multiple priorities
- Makes decisions and commits to a course of action
- Asks meaningful questions with critical listening and analytical skills
- Expresses self candidly and encourages candor from others
- Shows appreciation for and understanding of the feelings of others, aware of personal impact on others
- Works well in an autonomous culture
- Strategic, introduces creative ideas to team and leaders
- Carries self with a high degree of professionalism and poise
- Conducts self with the highest ethical and moral standards
Position is home office based with the ability to travel overnight.
This role is a ladder position and can be filled at appropriate level depending on skills, experience and knowledge.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company’s market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 16,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 62 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
Back to top