Location: Santa Clara, California – United States
Job Title: Selector Packer
Reports to: Department Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Selects, fabricates, salvages and packages products.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspects, selects, packages and labels products according to specifications.
- Operates semi-automatic and automatic packaging equipment (including but not limited to, baggers, rebagger, reclaim machines, stretch wrap, etc.).
- Operates, cleans and adjusts in-line BRU tape machines.
- Performs packaging operations (including but not limited to, loading batt packages into unitizer, placing sleeve on unitizer snout, stacking stretch wrappers, etc.).
- Salvages, reconditions, and feeds offware into reclaim.
- Collects, segregates and disposes of off-quality material, scrap, recyclable materials, and other debris. Operates baler and removes bales.
- Re-piles, re-labels and/or repacks finished goods.
- Assists in start-up and/or set-up of packing equipment.
- Clears jams and removes any materials that may cause safety hazards.
- Checks packaging quality. Notifies the appropriate personnel of out of specification packaging and rejects same.
- Operates material handling equipment (including, but not limited to, fork, clamp, etc.) as required. Performs operator inspection of fork lift on each shift; checks fluid levels and various fork lift component systems for malfunctions; replenishes fuel and fluid. Completes daily vehicle inspection forms.
- Procures and maintains supply of direct/packaging materials at work stations.
- Notifies appropriate personnel of any equipment or quality problems and takes corrective action within the scope of the job.
- Operates and makes simple adjustments to packaging equipment.
- Participates in the safety, continuous improvement, communication process, and good housekeeping programs as established within the plant.
- Performs other related duties consistent with the nature of the job as directed by supervision.
- Assists in oven cleanouts, rebuilds and other downtimes.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The employee should hold the following abilities:
- Understand the plant safety guidelines and pass all required safety training.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English
- Must be able to understand verbal and written instructions
- Must have the ability to do basic mathematical calculations
- Must be able to conduct simple mechanical tests
- Troubleshooting equipment and conceptualize equipment
- Know and understand how to read SAP.
- Must be able to secure and maintain fork lift drivers license
- Must be able to work independently
- Must work well in team environment
- Must possess strong communication and organizational skills
- Must have strong internal and external customer service skills
- Must have the ability to multi-task
COMPUTER AND SOFTWARE COMPENTENCIES
The employee must be able to:
- Operate a computer or other keyboard instrument, to include touch screens.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
The employee should have the following:
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent is required
- Two years related experience and/or training in an industrial environment or a technical certificate/manufacturing
- Proof of legal authorization to work in the United States
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be drug and alcohol free
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
The employee should possess the ability to:
- Oustanding attendance on site and the ability to work varying or rotating shifts
- Wearing respirator protection – frequently
- Exposure to hot/cold temperature- continuously
- Exposure to noise- continuously
- Lifting/carrying/moving up to 50 pounds
- Sitting- frequently
- Standing- continuously
- Twisting and Bending – continuously
- Walking – frequently
- Hand/Eye Coordination– continuously
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company’s market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2014 sales of $5.3 billion and employs about 15,000 people in 26 countries. It has been listed as a Fortune 500® company for more than 61 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
Back to top