Regional Sales Leader
Location: Kansas City, Missouri – United States
Regional Sales Leader
The Regional Sales Leader, North American Distribution Sales provides sales leadership for the Roofing and Asphalt business. The Regional Sales Leader is accountable to drive profitable top line growth by emphasizing teamwork and accountability from the customer back across all our business transactions. The position reports to the Area Director, Distribution Sales, and leads a team of Area Sales Managers.
1. Knowing the Customers
The Regional Sales Leader will lead by having intimate business insight and knowledge of business segment customers, their businesses, what is necessary for the customer to be successful, and the differential value that our current and future products, programs and processes deliver to the customer. The Regional Sales Leader will lead the sales team, and other broader business teams which interact with sales, and will hold them accountable for building deep understanding of the industry and markets and an intimate professional/business understanding of the customers/customers’ needs. The Regional Sales Leader drives results by leading with high expectations of our organization around sales leadership, sales coaching, customer communications, sales skills, negotiation skills, business acumen, teamwork and product knowledge to support our customer at every level.
- Achievement of customer action plans, inspired through the Customer Discovery process and beyond
- Sales revenue from new and existing products
- Gross Margin
- Share Gain
2. Strategy Development and Execution
The Regional Sales Leader works with the Area Director, Distribution Sales to develop regional business and local marketing strategies that will ensure the profitable growth and success of our customers and Owens Corning. The Regional Sales Leader provides the following insights specific to the regional business strategy as input to the overall sales strategy:
- Economic impacts
- Market and industry trends
- Customer and channel specific forecasting
- The un-met needs of customers and the market
- An analysis of the competition which identifies competitive advantages, disadvantages and company strengths and weaknesses
- An analysis of risks and their potential impact on business segment results and potential action plans which address the risks
- The resources or investments required, including organization structure and people requirements
The Regional Sales Leader organizes the region to deliver the strategic objectives and supporting goals. This leader manages the regional P&L, continually emphasizing sales productivity and managing the business by the numbers. The Regional Sales Leader provides leadership and direction for key business decisions pertaining to price, market strategies, channel conflict, and other customer facing decisions. This leader also:
- Communicates business strategy and performance to external constituents (customers, industry) effectively and engages them in the vision of the business.
- Communicates with all major customers and models behavior for the sales team so that our customers know our strategic plans, how to position for market conditions, and build trust and operating integrity in our business relationships.
- Demonstrates ability to design selling programs, with an outside-in perspective, to drive Owens Corning and customer profitability.
- Ensures all initiatives and strategy are cost effective and lead the sales organization around managing costs to plan.
- Market share
- Revenue growth
- Operating margin
- Price Realization
4. Sales Operations Direction
- Drives sales productivity by creating a dynamic selling environment with high expectations through performance management and an emphasis on individual and team development.
- Develops, communicates and leads annual sales plan for the business segment(s) consistent with near-term requirements for financial and non-financial performance and long-term strategic requirements, driving accountability throughout the sales organization and other broader business teams.
- Monitors market data and customer feedback to collect and synthesize changes in market conditions and/or competitive behavior.
- Utilizes business and management reviews and continuous commercial oversight to respond to the external conditions at that time and drive business performance.
- Leads and manages the forecasting and pricing processes in the region.
- Establishes clear and appropriate operating authority on critical performance drivers (e.g., pricing, operations/capacity planning).
- Committed to eliminating waste in sales processes driving for sales process effectiveness.
- Establishes clear expectations related to OC values, safety, business ethics and the law, and financial controls.
- Sales performance to plan and prior year (e.g. pricing)
- Sales performance versus market conditions
- Sales performance versus competition
- Individual Area Sales Manager performance vs. plan
- Continuous improvement and realization of non-financial goals:
- Market share
- Customer Action Plans implementation
- Audit performance
- Business conduct
5. Leading and Developing Sales Talent
- Works with peers and the Area Director, Distribution Sales, to develop and execute the organization structure and roles to create jobs with strong accountability and development opportunities on the pursuit of sales capability excellence.
- Develops talent through effective coaching, performance management, talent evaluation and utilization of people, building talent bench strength at all levels.
- Attracts, develops and retains the best sales talent.
- Effectively creates and fills open positions with the appropriate mix of internal promotions and external recruitment, in order to satisfy near-term performance, longer-term succession needs and to ensure the organization has the necessary outstanding talent to deliver the Company’s strategy.
- Creates teamwork across the sales function and the business segment(s) to maximize the performance of Owens Corning and the development of people.
- Is regarded by the employees of Owens Corning as a role model for their growth, development and conduct.
- Progress versus 2:1 succession talent plan for focus roles in organization
- Rate of voluntary turnover of high performance and high growth talent
- Rate of involuntary turnover of poor and marginal performers
- Extraordinary talent additions through external recruiting
- 360 feedback
- Feedback from General Manager, Vice President / Area Director, Sales, customers, direct reports and Commercial Leadership team members/peers
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field required
- Leading a sales, marketing or business team including direct people leadership and located remotely (2+ years)
- Building strong customer relations
- Leading an organization in a range of economic conditions, i.e. expansion, contraction, stable economic conditions
- Operating across geographic and cultural boundaries
- Increasing margins through aggressive management of price, mix and cost
- Marketing and selling new products and services; attracting new customers
- Growing a sales organization organically
- Delivering rapid improvement in an underperforming organization
- Participating in the development of strategic plans
- Attracting, developing and retaining outstanding talent; developing and growing talent, growth and development
- Understanding impacts of and influencing codes / public policy for future business growth
Knowledge and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to develop an intimate knowledge of customers, competition, and the market
- Strong business and financial acumen with demonstrated analytical ability accompanied by superior presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and execute strategic directions
- Demonstrated ability to manage and control costs
- Demonstrated ability to develop a functional operating plan
- Demonstrated ability to increase margins
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time
- Passionate and energetic communicator and leader
- Highly motivated and results driven
- Conducts himself/herself with the highest ethical and moral standards
- Intelligent, creative, analytical
- Broad operating style, ability to adapt across cultures, environments and styles
- Forward thinking leadership abilities, including the ability to motivate, lead by example, and encourage teamwork and effective communication
- Makes decisions and commits to a course of action with appropriate information
- Weighs and manages risk in decision making; able to make decisions detrimental to a few but helpful to many
- Behaves in a mature and appropriate manner. Shows good judgment, does not allow feeling or biases to distract reasoning, does not rationalize failures.
- Freely states opinions and feelings. Expresses him/her self directly and candidly
- Shows appreciation for and understanding of the feelings of others. Aware of personal impact on others. Expresses opinions without offending or creating defensiveness.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company’s market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 16,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 62 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
Back to top