Quality and Continuous Improvement Leader
Location: Toledo, Ohio – United States
The Quality and CI Leader will report to the Regional Quality & CI Leader. The person in this position will be accountable for driving creation and execution of the regions continuous improvement plan delivering long term, breakthrough results in the areas of safety, quality, service and productivity using operational excellence techniques.
The Quality and CI Leader will manage risks and lead the way to breakthrough improvement. The incumbent is expected to challenge conventional wisdom by demonstrating successful application of new methodologies, seek out and pilot new tools, create innovative thinking, and serve as a role model for others to follow. The Quality and CI Leader will work extensively as a mentor and facilitator of teams that are working to eliminate waste in their work processes.
1. Live the Safety stand, adhere to the safety responsibilities.
- Effectively communicate Owens Corning’s stand on safety throughout the region and behave in a manner that supports our stand that all accidents are preventable, safety is everyone’s responsibility, and that working safely is a condition of employment to work at Owens Corning.
- Plant safety metrics – TIR, RIR, first aid misses, SAFE and Critical
- Meet safety requirements for each kaizen
- Implement a personal safety action plan and review with leader
2. Achieve Customer Satisfaction and Quality Targets.
- Serve as a quality advocate to operations – implement objectives, targets, training, and standards.
- Complete all 8D’s on time with proper root cause investigation.
- Maintain certifications and implement improvements to the Quality Management System
- Implement and standardize process controls (SPC, FMEA, Control and Reaction Procedures).
- Actively participate in the quality network and be a conduit for best practice sharing in the plant with respect to product quality and service.
- Implement communication process for quality to all plant employees to keep them motivated and engaged in ensuring quality every day.
- Ensure that all plant quality testing equipment is calibrated and testing procedures meet the gage R&R requirements.
- Facilitate quality risk analysis
- Assist with first article inspections
- Work with each plan on implementation and training of SPC
- Work with each plant identifying and prioritizing CTQ’s
- Customer Fitness for Use (FFU)
- Quality Near Misses
- Reduction in Customer Quality Claims (# of claims)
- First Pass Yield
- Customer Quality Assessment
- Percent of 2nd’s Grade Material
3. Support Plants Continuous Improvement Plan.
- Champion the Identification and execution of lean and six sigma projects and selection of candidates for Blackbelt/Greenbelt certification.
- Ensure plant has robust CI plans for departments and work with regional/global team to improve where required.
- Train plant leadership team on CI tools, process, systems and culture.
- Participate in plants NLT meetings and discussions to ensure CI/Lean thinking is applied to business level decisions.
- Participate in and lead boot camps events throughout the region and support other regions boot camps.
- Support the implementation of standard work initiatives..
- Ensure the plant has current and future state maps and/or VSM to drive transformation and an enterprise view of waste elimination.
- Serves as an in-house consultant and practitioner of the full range of Six Sigma and Lean tools and methods (process improvement, design for six sigma and process management). Provides technical (quality tools) and statistical expertise to the business.
- Delivers Sigma training to Green Belts; mentors and coaches Black Belt trainees/candidates
- Provides meaningful six sigma project reviews
- Assists in the resolution of business issues by using proper problem solving techniques and statistical tools (i.e., meeting facilitation)
- Plants A3 targets
- CI Enablers
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering preferred
- Six Sigma Black Belt and Lean Certification preferred
- Five or more years experience in manufacturing, industrial or related field
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Experience utilizing computer programs, Microsoft Office Products and Minitab.
- Proficient in use and interpretation of statistical tools.
- Ability to prioritize and adapt to a rapid changing environment while balancing multiple responsibilities
- Ability to travel, as required (60-75%)
- Ability to coach and guide for results
- Ability to build strong team alignment and communication.
- Possess strong change management skills
- Applied knowledge of Quality Management Systems
- Ability to translate quality technical issues into understandable operational requirements for plant employees.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company’s market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 15,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 61 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
Back to top