Location: Starr, South Carolina – United States
Job Title & Department: STARR Process Engineer, STARR Technical
Reports to: STARR Technical Leader
Reportees: ~ 2 STARR Process Technicians
STARR Plant is a major manufacturer of Dry Chop glass fiber material for the Owens Corning Composites Solutions Business. STARR is the North American leader in this product segment and has been in the OC network for more than fifty years. Based in Anderson, SC STARR is in the footprint of Clemson University located ~25 miles from Greenville, SC and approximately 2 hours from Atlanta, GA. STARR employees ~200 total employees, the primary workforce is represented by the Glass, Molders, Pottery Plastics and Allied Workers Union Local #15. The successful candidate will be a leader in a growing talent, maximizing productivity and engaging the most important asset at our site…the people!
At STARR, we protect ourselves, our customer and redefine what is possible everyday!
The Process Engineer has overall responsibility for all Process parameters (Raw Material Mixing, Furnace, Forming, Quality, Packing) at the STARR, South Carolina Glass manufacturing facility.
This key position requires the following:
- Safety – Live the values and adheres to ensure safety responsibilities with the team to have zero accidents.
- Quality – Find and achieves customer satisfaction and executes structured troubleshooting deviations focused on safety, quality, cost and operational analysis in a given time.
- Talent – Ensures the growth of your team through talent management systems established in the company.
- Performance – Leads and develops equipment, processes and methods to achieve the objectives of the plant.
- TPM – Actively leads the TPM pillars in the process and executes the plan (activities) according to the plant master plan targeting ZERO – Injuries, Defects, Failures.
The position reports directly to the Technical Leader and leads team of technicians as direct reports. The Process Engineer follows General / Central shift.
LEADS THE AREA THROUGH THE PILLARS OF TPM:
- SHE (Safety, Health and Environment)
- Provide a safe and secure work environment for all employees, contractors and visitors. Targets to Zero Accidents
- Ensures a clear and effective measurement system is followed and used to drive results; rewards and celebrates safe behavior and achievements; ensures accountability.
- Lead proactive safe behavior and participation of operators in site Safety programs: JHA, Behavioral Based Safety Observations, AWH (Accidents waiting to happen), Safety yellow tag process and risk identification / elimination.
- Leads necessary Safety training associated with OSHA, DHEC, OC and other governmental agencies and/or regulations
- Define and lead specific projects to eliminate unsafe conditions and acts in the operation and processes.
- Number of first aid, Near Miss and recordable accidents.
- Zero activities without SOP (standard operating procedure) and GWP (General Work Permit)
- Compliance 100% in the generation of NM’s and his team.
- Compliance 100% in the generation of LPA’s / BBS’s and his team.
- To lead or participate in research SEWO and ensure implementation of the actions defined, seeking engineering solutions (green zone) to remove or physically separating people of the risks.
- Ensure your area clean and tidy by applying 5S’s
- T/D (Training & Development) & OM (Office Management)
- Monitors area activities as appropriate to ensure compliance with all STARR policies and collective bargaining agreement
- Ensures alignment with functional leadership (e.g., maintenance, engineering, human resources) on training, standard work, area procedures, performance management and talent development
- Lead and coordinate area and individual training geared at committee or team functional alignment. Ensure operator certification and credentials for job tasks in the area. Perform gap analysis and training needs analysis as needed
- Participate in development area skills matrix, baseline credentials, and current operator capability in area
- Act as a coach for area operators and team based functions within the Operation. Perform semi-annual performance reviews
- Perform administrative functions for area personnel including: Kronos timekeeping, OT identification, vacation scheduling, VIP metric tracking, maintains employee records and facilitates employee questions, concerns and/or dispute resolution grievance
- FI (Focused Improvement)
- Lead and develop the team to achieve the objectives of the plant thru FI Pillar-TPM methodology
- Identify and drive continuous improvement efforts through standardized work to cut cost and improve productivity and quality
- Set clear and measurable performance expectations, in line with Operational and site goals; proactively analyzes and manages all relative area operations performance metrics
- Facilitate area Kaizen events developing solution to complex problems using FI tool set: 5W, Ishikawa, A3, etc…
- Identify the gaps in performance and cost, implementing specific plans to achieve targets in KPI (key performance indicators) of the plant.
- Responsible for taking action to ensure compliance with the plan and objectives.
- Operate with zero environmental non-conformities to applicable company , government and regulatory policies
- Meet the performance metric area wise according to plan.
- Minerals – Analyze and take action to maintain control, quality and stability prevail inorganic materials (kaolin, limestone, dolomite, feldspar, silica, salt cake, etc.)
- Batch – Ensure control critical process variables serving a Cpk 1.33 or higher.
- Sizing – Analyze and take action to maintain control, quality and stability of organic chemicals (silanes, plasticizers, acids, emulsions etc.) Ensure control critical process variables serving a Cpk 1.33 or higher.
- Forming – Ensure control critical process variables serving a Cpk 1.33 or higher.
- Ovens / Conveyors – Ensure control critical process variables serving a Cpk 1.33 or higher.
- AM/PM (Autonomous Maintenance/Planned Maintenance)
- Support AM activities throughout area: restoration, maintaining, sustaining and improving equipment through cleaning, inspecting, lubricating and tightening. Abnormality based principle of manufacturing and light maintenance for area operators
- Evaluate, implement, and audit operator driven AM provisional checklists of all critical equipment
- Facilitate communication bridge between area operators and Maintenance personnel around equipment downtime
- Support PM activities: selection and upkeep of “A” critical equipment in the process area. Support operators in the preventative maintenance of that equipment.
- QM (Quality Maintenance)
- Achieve customer satisfaction through process control and critical variables product quality. Performs analysis to prevent and correct trends in variables, leading specific projects to improve the quality in each process of the plant.
- Ensures that all critical process variables and product meets the specifications on a daily basis and do not lead corrective actions.
- Define actions to achieve zero deviations of process variables and product.
- Responsible for ensuring Quality operations and work under a control plan and updated based on the FMEA, as well as specifications and standards.
- Responsible for coordinating the training of the operation in these documents and audit the effectiveness and monitoring of daily use.
- Participate and engage process team participation in LPA (Layered Process Audits) of standard work, safety specs, & quality specs
- Perform and support RCA analysis of any defects found in process (on hold material) or returned from customer
- Reduce scrap material loss in process area, by performing loss tree analysis in coordination with FI pillar job responsibilities. Engage and empower area operators in process.
- Search customer feedback through the areas related to quality or delivery and finding a deviation, develops and follows up with QEWO’s
- Responsible for ensuring that he and his team is trained and certified to meet the established expectations.
- Responsible for ensuring that your team makes the decision to stop a process in case of deviation.
- Responsible for leading specific projects to improve the quality in each process, ensuring continuous improvement and defining process modifications or implementations of new processes and the calculation of the required investments.
- Responsible for communicating best practices to the organization (internal and external) and procure them with other plants.
- Compliance with Daily standard work as well as his team.
- Compliance 100% in LPA’s own program and his team.
- Comply timely (3D in 3 days maximum) with the investigation and definition of root cause and action plan 8D’s related to customer complaints, allowing for effectiveness in yellow or green zone.
- Zero repetitions of causes that generated an internal quality deviation (QEWO).
- Compliance Cpk of 1.33 for each variable critical of the process and product.
- EM (Early Management)
- Leverage partnership with other area leaders to maximize performance of the site, lead change, and grow primary talent
- Influence area and other Operations segments to a proactive culture and work environment with regards to Safety, Quality employee engagement, problem solving and production.\
- Share best practices, challenge thinking and provide candid and respectful feedback to Operators, peers and leaders
- Be seen as exceptional talent across the Organization and become business partner with OC Composites & Alloy sites locally (Gastonia NC, Starr SC, Concord, NC etc…)
- Bachelor’s Degree, Engineering
- Relocation in pursuit of growth opportunities within OC network a must
- Ability to support rotating shift work based on business requirements
- Minimum 2-4 years in Process Engineering in manufacturing environment
- Experience in continuous or discrete manufacturing
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Kronos, SAP necessary
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Strategy: Ability to create, implement and communicate tactics for execution, enabling strategy attainment
- Safety: Engages and cares for others, promoting safety as a condition of employment
- Growth: Encompasses skills necessary of growth capability: ideation, evaluation, & action
- Talent Attraction & Development: Relentless talent assessment skills, demonstrable coaching & employee engagement skills, idea generation & collaboration ability with various organization levels in hierarchy. Strong ability to coach & train but also hold operators accountable to standard and performance manage deviations as required
- Self Development: Desire to continuously learn, ability to tie area tasks to site strategy and aspiration to follow career progression through Operations or Technical career path.
- TPM: Knowledge of TPM system. Strong knowledge of TPM tools: A3, Ishikawa, PM Analysis, Infinity Loop, 5W + 2H, etc…
- OC Values: Self-awareness and connection to: Innovation, Sharing, Fun, Respect, Candor, Accountability
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company’s market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 16,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 62 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
Back to top