Location: Joplin, Missouri – United States
HIRE DATE OF JANURARY 2017: 19 vacancies
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Operator I position is the operations expert for the packaging process. The employee works with other Packaging Operators to coordinate the duties to be accomplished across the entire packaging area with set-ups, operation, adjustments for packaging equipment, observation of weight distribution, proper curing, circumference and facing.
This role will also ensure that the quality and quantity of packaged goods conforms to the company’s standards.
Reports to: The Operator I is an hourly position reporting to the Lead and Production Shift Supervisor.
- Follows all Owens Corning safety policies and procedures
- Know plant EPA goals or requirements and insures goals are met on a daily basis
- Handle startup and shut down duties pertaining to packaging equipment at the beginning and end of each shift
- Ensure each packaging machine is in good repair and works in accordance to regulations set by the company
- Perform regular and preventative maintenance on packaging machines to ensure optimum work cycles
- Responsible for packaging integrity and quality checks on each packaging order
- Monitor correct product weights and ensure that they are maintained throughout the shift
- Handle / discard waste that packaging machineries edict in a safe manner
- Educate workers on exercising caution to avoid accidents and prevent injuries
- Maintain a clean and orderly work area by ensuring that floors are clean and organized appropriately
- Assist in developing SOPs and handle reviews of manufacturing batch records
- Tend to packaging machines by using appropriate controls to package different items
- Load and unload items into packaging machines and remove rejected packages to be isolated as surplus
- Reset machines following malfunctions or need for repeated cycles
- Secure packaged items by gluing, tying, stapling or attaching fasteners
- Sort, label, grade and inspect packaged products
- Stack packaged items in storage areas or on delivery pallets using jack pallets or forklifts
- Create daily reports regarding packaged products and storage and delivery orders
- Reports any problems to appropriate personnel and carries out emergency procedures
- Uses fork lift and other related material handling machinery
- Performs other tasks and duties within scope as necessary and in agreement with the lead
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent is required
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be a US citizen or have the right to work in the US
- Minimum of two (2) years related experience and/or training in an industrial/manufacturing environment highly preferred.
- Two year Associates degree in technical related field highly preferred
- Experience operating powered industrial equipment such as forklift, Bobcat, overhead cranes, and hoists preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
The employee should hold the following abilities:
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English
- Must be able to understand verbal and written instructions
- Six Sigma, TPM, and 5S practices
- Willingness to support training and cross-functional efforts
- Must have the ability to train and coach others
- Must have strong process acumen and high mechanical aptitude
- Must be able to secure and maintain job related qualifications and certifications as required by the nature of this position
- Possess strong communication and organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Strong internal and external customer service skills
- Work well in team environment
- Work independently
- Basic mathematical calculations and measurements
- Must maintain schedule flexibility to ensure smooth production
- Pass drug screen prior to employment
- Acceptable background check
- Pass pre-employment physical
- Pass Work Keys assessment NCRC+
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Non-Rotating shifts – 8 hour
- Stand for extended prolonged periods during 8 hour shift
- Work overtime as needed
- Meet the physical demands of the work environment
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company’s market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 16,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 62 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
Back to top