Location: Joplin, Missouri – United States
Overtime Status: Nonexempt (N)
Shift: 1, 2, 3
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Operations Leads are a cross-functional role responsible for leading the shift team on the daily operations and preventative maintenance of the cupola furnace, production line, and related systems. This position is accountable for ensuring that production scheduled for completion is executed in a safe, timely manner, within all quality parameters, and for participation in both the training and performance management processes.
Reports to: The Operations Lead is an hourly position reporting to the Production Shift Supervisor.
- Ensure that department and Owens Corning safety rules are being communicated and followed, including PPE usage.
- Know plant EPA goals or requirements and insures goals are met on a daily basis.
- Ensure productivity of all employees assigned to designated shift.
- Maintain a clean and safe work place in accordance with 5S protocol.
- Create and maintain a general housekeeping schedule with responsibilities to ensure cleaning throughout the shift; maintain a safe work environment.
- Maintain high quality products by insuring consistent, good fiberization and binder applications.
- Leads, assists, trains/coaches, and performs the duties of the operators and any other personnel assigned within the cupola, line, forming, batch house, binder operations, and wash water areas.
- Participate in operations management meetings on behalf of supervisors if requested.
- Assist supervisor in controlling material and labor costs and efficiencies in the department.
- Assist supervisor in efforts to control waste, cost reductions, and process improvements.
- Ensures that production processes are carried out as required.
- Reduce scrap and ensures quality in products.
- Assist in accident/incident investigations for injuries, near-misses, and property damage and support corrective actions.
- Lead stretching activities and provide daily communications to the department employees at the beginning of the shift.
- Recommend equipment upgrades, replacements, and repair as necessary.
- Communicate information to the supervisor and department employees of the next shift to ensure effective and safe operations, efficient equipment and material usage, and quality assurance.
- Mediate problems between employees as necessary.
- Monitors computer / control consoles / screens. Inputs and retrieves data. Makes process adjustments utilizing computer / control consoles.
- Other activities as may be assigned in order to maintain production requirements of the department or plant. Work assignments will be made at the discretion of management.
- Minimum of two (2) years related experience and/or training in an industrial/manufacturing environment
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent is required
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be a US citizen or have the right to work in the US
- Previous Manufacturing Shift Lead experience highly preferred
- Two year Associates degree in technical related field highly preferred
- Experience operating powered industrial equipment such as forklift, Bobcat, overhead cranes, and hoists preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
The employee should hold the following abilities:
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English
- Must be able to understand verbal and written instructions
- Champion of Six Sigma, TPM, and 5S practices
- Willingness to support training and cross-functional efforts
- Must have the ability to train and coach others
- Must have strong process acumen and high mechanical aptitude
- Must be able to secure and maintain job related qualifications and certifications as required by the nature of this position
- Possess strong communication and organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Strong internal and external customer service skills
- Work well in team environment
- Work independently
- Basic mathematical calculations and measurements
- Must maintain schedule flexibility to ensure smooth production
- Pass drug screen prior to employment
- Acceptable background check
- Pass pre-employment physical
- Pass Work Keys assessment NCRC+
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Non-Rotating shifts – 8 hour
- Stand for extended prolonged periods during 8 hour shift
- Work overtime as needed
- Meet the physical demands of the work environment
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
Back to top