Mechanic First Class
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota – United States
Overtime Status: Nonexempt (N)
Shift: 6pm – 6am
Constructs, installs, maintains and repairs any plant mechanical, structural, hydraulic or pneumatic equipment according to accepted codes and safety standards. Position makes necessary decisions, according to skill level, in carrying out all job functions to the fullest extent when working without direct supervision. Position will be able to demonstrate skills in power transmission, air systems, piping, hydraulics, pumps, troubleshooting components welding, alignment procedures, rigging and millwright work, PLC, motor controls, electrical trouble-shooting.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Multi-craft industrial maintenance skills including:
- Mechanical Repairs; bearings, power transmission, pumps, gearboxes, welding, fabricating, machine tool technology, etc.
- Electrical Repairs; electrical motors, 480 volt 3 phase systems, 24 volt control systems, VFD, PLC, encoders, power supplies.
- Computer literate to perform work order related tasks in CMMS.
- Overall record: Safety, performance, attendance, etc. will be considered.
- Write and speak English.
- Able to work second or third shift as scheduled.
- Training classes will be available on own time to stay current with maintenance technology and as determined by the Maintenance Development Program.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide support to the Maintenance Leader, Planner, Scheduler, and shift leaders on jobs to be performed.
- Performs PM’s as they are scheduled.
- Reports all equipment concerns to their leaders.
- Performs all equipment repairs and projects in a safe and efficient manner using all safety procedures.
- Answer line calls in a prompt manner and carry required tools to complete work safely and efficiently.
- Assist during process upsets as needed.
- Wear all required safety equipment (PPE) necessary for the job and follow all plant safety rules and regulations, including the machinery lockout procedure.
- Follow the scheduled jobs unless given approval to deviate from the schedule.
- Clean up immediately after a job is completed and maintain a quality house-cleaning program.
- Attend schools, seminars, etc. to enhance skills in the various crafts including mechanical, electrical, PLC, machining, and welding.
- Keep the parts and tool rooms organized and cleaned.
- Work with other employees in a team like manner.
- Notify your supervisor immediately of any accident, near miss accident or on-the-job injury when it occurs no matter how insignificant it may seem.
- Operate equipment only when you are trained in its use or are working with or under the direction of a qualified employee, and you are authorized to do so by your supervisor.
COMPUTER AND SOFTWARE COMPENTENCIES
The employee must be able to:
- Log into and navigate online systems to access PeopleSoft for paycheck/benefits enrollment information
- Log into and navigate Owens Corning University (OCU) and accomplish required online training routinely
- Basic computer skills
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
The employee should have the following:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalency.
- Two (2) years verifiable experience in the industrial maintenance field required, four (4) years preferred, in a manufacturing environment.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
The employee should possess the ability to:
- Ability to routinely lift up to 50 lbs without assistance
- Ability to routinely lift up to 80 lbs with assistance
- Work for up to 12 hours in extreme hold/cold manufacturing environment
- Walk/stand on concrete floors
- Routinely ascend and descend stairs and ladders as work area requires
- Safeguard self with Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) – steel toed shoes, ear plugs, eye protection (glasses, goggles, and/or facemask) as necessary for task
- Push/Drive floor sweeping and cleaning equipment or tools as necessary for housekeeping duties
- Ability to rotate and work shift work
- Exposure to noise
- Ability to work from heights
- Ability to work overtime as necessary
- Respond to call-in work request in off-shift emergency situations.
It is a requirement to be a U.S. citizen OR have valid proof of authorization to work in the United States.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company’s market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2014 sales of $5.3 billion and employs about 15,000 people in 26 countries. It has been listed as a Fortune 500® company for more than 61 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
Back to top