Location: Joplin, Missouri – United States
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Materials Lead role is an expert for the warehousing process which includes, but is not limited to, the unloading, storage, loading and transporting of materials and finished goods, maintaining accurate records and inventory security. This role oversees warehouse employees and daily operation of assigned warehouse function/department(s) to ensure compliance with Owens Corning policies and procedures through safely verifying product quantity, quality, and efficiency.
Reports to: The Materials Lead is an hourly position reporting to the Plant Controller.
- Ensure that department and Owens Corning safety rules are being communicated and followed, including PPE usage and loading practices.
- Know plant EPA goals or requirements and insures goals are met on a daily basis.
- Ensure productivity of all employees assigned to designated shift by maintaining a motivated and open working environment.
- Create and maintain a general housekeeping schedule in accordance with plant standard 5S protocol with responsibilities to ensure cleaning throughout the shift; maintain a safe work environment.
- Planning, organizing and controlling of Warehouse over-all operations. Manage stock control: the self-assured receipt, storage, retrieval and timely delivery of goods; shipment loading and transferring; document recording and data entry into system.
- Constantly plan out all warehouse resources and activities in relation to company objectives and set targets
- Plans the staging and efficient organization of materials within the warehouse
- Monitor and work with other employees to ensure materials received are counted and recorded correctly and are within acceptable quality standards based upon visual evaluation.
- Completes records and reports, (including, but not limited to Shipping/Receiving Report, Purchase Order Form, etc.).
- Prepares, loads and/or ships various outbound materials for delivery, (including, but not limited to, equipment, return orders, rework items, etc.).
- Operates terminal to enter and retrieve data (including, but not limited to, Purchase Orders, Bills of Lading, etc.).
- Ensure daily inspections of fork trucks are performed.
- Participate in operations management meetings on behalf of supervisors if requested.
- Assist supervisor in controlling material and labor costs and efficiencies in the department.
- Assist supervisor in efforts to control waste, cost reductions, and process improvements.
- Assist in accident/incident investigations for injuries, near-misses, and property damage and support corrective actions.
- Lead stretching activities and provide daily communications to the department employees at the beginning of the shift.
- Recommend equipment upgrades, replacements, and repair as necessary.
- Communicate information to the supervisor and department employees of the next shift to ensure effective and safe operations, efficient equipment and material usage, and quality assurance.
- Mediate problems between employees as necessary.
- Other activities as may be assigned in order to maintain production requirements of the department or plant. Work assignments will be made at the discretion of management.
- Minimum of two (2) years related experience and/or training in an industrial/manufacturing environment
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent is required
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be a US citizen or have the right to work in the US
- Previous Manufacturing Shift Lead experience highly preferred
- Two year Associates degree in technical related field highly preferred
- Experience operating powered industrial equipment such as forklift, Bobcat, overhead cranes, and hoists
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
The employee should hold the following abilities:
- Freight Shipping
- Inbound receiving and put away
- Inventory Accuracy
- Production Supply
- Raw materials warehouse
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English
- Must be able to understand verbal and written instructions
- Champion of Wellness, Six Sigma, TPM, and 5S practices
- Willingness to support training and cross-functional efforts
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Office products (Excel, Word and PowerPoint) Knowledge of SAP preferred
- Must have the ability to train and coach others
- Must have strong process acumen and high mechanical aptitude
- Must be able to secure and maintain job related qualifications and certifications as required by the nature of this position
- Possess strong communication and organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Strong internal and external customer service skills
- Work well in team environment
- Work independently
- Basic mathematical calculations and measurements
- Must maintain schedule flexibility to ensure smooth production
- Pass drug screen prior to employment
- Acceptable background check
- Pass pre-employment physical
- Pass Work Keys assessment NCRC+
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Non-Rotating shifts – 8 hour
- Stand for extended prolonged periods during 8 hour shift
- Work overtime as needed
- Meet the physical demands of the work environment
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company’s market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 16,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 62 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
Back to top