Materials Development Engineer-Synthetics
Location: Granville, Ohio – United States
The Materials Development Engineer is a key contributor to technological advances that will lead to the improvement of existing and development of new synthetics materials and manufacturing capabilities. This position plays a key role in product and process development by providing expertise in polymer science and chemical engineering.
The Materials Development Engineer will work closely with other technical teams, manufacturing teams and business and operational managers.
The position reports to the Synthetics S+T Leader and will be located at S&T Granville, OH, USA.
This position requires ~30% travel, international travel is a requirement. The position is a ladder engineering job and it may be filled at a higher or lower level than indicated depending on candidate qualifications and growth potential.
- Demonstrates a commitment to safety
- Actively participates in team safety meetings, hazard identification, and training.
- Ensures rigorous compliance to standard safety procedures and OC corporate policies.
- Develops new synthetics materials and manufacturing capabilities
- Uses science and engineering principles to drive fundamental scientific understanding and identify where biggest product and process improvement opportunities exist.
- Provides expertise regarding the relationship between raw materials, process opportunities and product development opportunities.
- Develops and implements new recipes that provide step-change quality or productivity improvements for manufacturing.
- Identifies and recommends opportunities for improved cost or product performance from a materials perspective.
- Applies polymer science and design skills to document and communicate required recipes and associated process parameters.
- Partners with 3rd party suppliers and technical institutions to develop new material blends.
- Executes effective project deliverables
- Participate as a key contributor on projects that require materials development (i,e. new product development, enhanced product performance, productivity initiatives…).
- Adheres to stage-gate activities and drives outcomes.
- Mitigates all risks through proper activities and communications.
- Applies relevant understanding of industry and technology trends
- Partners with Intellectual Property team to understand the competitive landscape and define opportunities and/or threats.
- Spots trends and provides insight, expertise and education on technology developments and industry best practices.
- Delivers technical presentations at company meetings, technical conferences, and customer/partner facilities.
- Fosters sharing and a team environment.
- Teams with other professionals to share knowledge, develop, and implement ideas.
Experience and Knowledge Requirements:
- MS/PhD in Chemical Engineering or Polymer Science or BS with demonstrated process improvement success within polymer based manufacturing operations
- 5+ years experience in materials design, optimization or implementing materials advancements in an industrial manufacturing work environment
- Demonstrated use of fundamental science and engineering principles to deliver process innovations
- Demonstrated ability to generate new and innovative product designs/improvements in continuous manufacturing processes
- Experience and understanding of manufacturing operations so as to identify new opportunities and/or solve complex process issues
- Demonstrated ability to develop and meet key milestones, to work and communicate effectively with people at all levels within the organization, and to technically contribute to the development of solutions.
- Proficiency in the definition and the solving of complex manufacturing problems.
- Results Oriented – Energetic, resourceful, with strong service orientation and positive can-do attitude. Fully committed to the job and to deliver outstanding work. Never satisfied with status quo — continually striving for excellence.
- Accountability – knows what needs to be done and gets it done. Willingly takes responsibility for project outcomes as a whole; unafraid of owning the results, actions and decisions of self or organization. Committed to follow through to completion.
- Judgment and Decision Making – Recognizes issues, problems, or opportunities and determines whether action is needed. Chooses appropriate action by formulating clear decision criteria and evaluates options by considering implications and consequences. Implements decisions or initiates action within a reasonable time.
- Teamwork Oriented – Self-starter who works with minimal supervision that balances multiple assignments; works effectively across technology, marketing, and production groups to ensure project success.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company’s market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 15,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 61 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
Back to top