Manufacturing Operations Technician
Location: Gastonia, North Carolina – United States
Shift: Rotating Shifts – Days/Nights
Technician is responsible for ensuring the production line runs efficiently with high product quality standards. Technician is a key contributor to the continuous improvement of critical plant performance metrics in the areas of safety, productivity, cost, quality and sustainability. This role is essential to the successful start up of the Gastonia facility.
This role is essential to the successful start up of Gastonia facility.
Technician is an hourly position reporting to the Manufacturing Engineer.
- Lives the Owens Corning Safety Stand and meets all safety requirements. Safety is a condition of employment.
- Participates in the safety, quality, TPM and housekeeping programs as established within the plant; including but not limited to Kaizen, Safety Committee, etc.
- Performs job tasks to reduce environmental impact and adheres to the environmental regulations and recycling procedures for waste disposal.
- Complies with all plant rules, safety regulations and job hazard analysis (JHA) requirements.
- Performs cleanup duties at equipment areas, workstations, etc.
- Performs core job duties in various production areas including:
- Binder Room
- Control Room
- Performs alternating production activities at various stages in the manufacturing process to ensure that product output is achieved in accordance with quality standards.
- Maintains an in depth knowledge of the manufacturing process, inputs and outputs (i.e. KMI’s in safety, quality, delivery, cost, and staffing).
- Analyzes and troubleshoots equipment and performance issues to ensure Operating Efficiencies (OE) and Job Efficiencies (JE) are achieved.
- Performs minor maintenance tasks on equipment to ensure optimal performance and increased uptime.
- Monitors the specific KPI’s/KAI’s required by the job; reacts to upset conditions and escalates when necessary.
- Maintains an uncompromising adherence to 5S standards; keeps the work area and equipment clean.
- Collaborates with team members and participates in team discussions to achieve the goals of the plant.
- Proactively makes suggestions/proposals to strive for continuous improvement of plant performance.
- Assists with the on-boarding of new employees.
- Trains other team members to perform job duties as needed.
- Demonstrates flexibility to perform various job roles within the manufacturing process as assigned.
- Provides relief to positions of prior qualification as required.
- Establishes goals, prioritizes and organizes actions, timelines and resources.
- Understands the needs of the customer and takes action to address those needs.
- Acts decisively and shows a strong sense of urgency to ensure follow through of established goals.
- Proactively identifies and participates in learning opportunities, and develops expertise in those areas.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Two year Associates degree in technical related field or equivalent required
- Three or more years of relevant work experience preferred
- Experience in statistical process control preferred
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be a US citizen or have the right to work in the US
- Must be drug and alcohol free
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English
- Must be able to understand verbal and written instructions
- Must possess strong communication and organizational skills
- Must have the ability to multi-task
- Must have strong internal and external customer service skills
- Must work well in a team environment
- Must be self-motivated to work independently and meet targets
- Must be able to perform basic mathematical calculations
- Must have the ability to train and coach others
- Must have strong process acumen and high mechanical aptitude
- Must be able to operate a computer and the necessary software to successfully perform job responsibilities
- Must maintain schedule flexibility to ensure smooth production
- Must be able to secure and maintain job related qualifications and certifications as required by the nature of this position
ADDITIONAL REQUIRED TRAINING
- All annual safety and role specific training, as required by the nature of this position
ESSENTIAL PHYSIAL REQUIREMENTS
- Rotating shifts – days and nights
- Stand for extended prolonged periods
- Work overtime as needed
- Meet the physical demands of the work environment
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) has touched your life in more ways than you know. From composites that make your car lighter, stronger and more efficient, to innovative roofing products and energy-efficient insulation, our products play a role in thousands of applications worldwide. In business for more than 75 years, Owens Corning is the market-leading innovator of glass-fiber technology with sales of $5.3 billion in 2013. A Fortune 500® company for 59 consecutive years, our cutting-edge innovations continue to enhance lives and the communities in which we live, work and play. From our headquarters in Toledo, Ohio, we have a global presence with about 15,000 employees spanning 27 countries. Discover Owens Corning opportunities that will transform your career today. Additional information is available at www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.
Back to top