Finite Element Analysis Advanced Engineer
Location: Granville, Ohio – United States
Are you interested in a new opportunity with Owens Corning? Do you want an opportunity in Advanced Modeling Center of Excellence? Do you want to work in an innovative environment that adds variety to the work day and focuses on new discoveries and solving problems?
Innovation and sustainability rule our Science and Technology division. At Owens Corning, your work will drive these initiatives and bolster the success of the company.
The Advanced Engineer manages the development, implementation, and support of new technologies related to global advanced modeling operations throughout the Composites Solutions Business. This role will build a framework to support data and model needs as they evolve from static to large deformation and interface micro-mechanics/adhesion. The Engineer will translate customer product, process & application needs into effective product/process specification and lead modeling projects to successfully deliver solutions.
Reports to: Amol Vaidya, R&D Leader
- At ALL times, alert teammates of potential safety risks and stop unsafe behavior
- Actively engage in driving a safety culture
- Safety is an unconditional aspect of employment
- Implements a personal safety action plan and review with leader.
- Ensures rigorous compliance to standard safety procedures and OC corporate policies.
Finite Element Analysis to Support Customers (approximate 80%)
- Perform static and dynamic finite element analysis of existing and new designs to meet product performance and customer requirements across all product lines
- Document analyzes in detailed technical reports, presentations, and management updates
- Actively participate in global multi-disciplinary product development, process improvement, and problem solving teams, including Product Leadership, Safety, and Sales & Marketing
- Provide technical service to allow our customers to take cost out or enhance their products and gain access to new markets.
- Conduct product training to communicate how to best use the modeling tools, bring benefits and troubleshoot typical issues and questions.
Development and delivery of modeling technologies (approximate 20%)
- Conduct research and development work in computer modeling for use in current and future glass reinforcement solutions, enabling the company to maintain its leadership position in global markets
- Understand latest modeling and material characterization tool enhancements and make improvements to current resources, including micro-mechanics, stability and durability.
- Represent OC at Technical Conferences, Technical Committees to maximize gaining knowledge about composite
EXECUTE PROJECT MANAGEMENT
- Mitigate all risks through proper activities and communications
- Guide team, peers, and business partners to enhance effectiveness and productivity
- Communicate the importance of intellectual property to team members
- Master’s Degree or PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Mechanics, or related field of study
- Must be fluent in Finite Element Analysis techniques of Micro & Macro level parts, preferably non-linear and dynamic cycling – in Abaqus, Laminate Analysis, Digimat (preferred but not required).
- Strong background in material behavior, stress-strain relationships, FRP composite testing and FRP composite materials failure analysis.
- Strong background and experience in part design and application development using FRP composite materials
- Experience with part drawing and part meshing.
- Trained in the use of Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Fully functional in the use of the Microsoft Operating system and proficient with standard computer
- Knowledge and experience with material characterization and modeling processes,
- Travel: 20-30%
- Three to Five years experience in Composite modeling including- Laminate design, Finite Element Analysis (Abaqus preferred), Micro-scale modeling (Digimat)
- Experience of Process Modeling for composites- Mold-Flow, Moldex-3D or others
- Experience in CAD packages- SolidWorks, AutoCAD, Pro-E & Part Meshing.
- Track record of working with customers to design composite parts
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Problem Solving
- Good communication and technical documentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills & ability to work effectively as a member of domestic and international teams
- Project management experience
- An understanding of modeling tools, statistics and quality systems.
- Highly motivated, self-initiating individual.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company’s market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 16,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 62 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
Back to top