Equipment/Machine Design Engineer
Location: Granville, Ohio – United States
Job Title: Equipment/Machine Design Engineer
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Process Development Engineer is a key contributor to advances that will lead to the improvement of existing and development of new manufacturing processes. This position is key to enabling growth in our mechanical-pipe insulation business, requiring expertise both in materials science and mechanical equipment configuration; The Process Development Engineer will assist in the development and implementation of new manufacturing capabilities and materials in our mechanical and pipe insulation plants. This position works closely with other technical teams, manufacturing teams and business and operational managers.
Reports to: Mechanical & Pipe R&D Program Leader
Span of Control: Individual Contributor
- Participates in regular safety meetings
- Ensures rigorous compliance to safety procedures and OC corporate policies
- Focuses on sustaining a safe work environment for self and coworkers
- Translates work safety knowledge to personal/home.
- Explore and understand process modifications to improve product performance
- Plan and lead Plant trials of new process equipment
- Rapidly prototype and trial new concepts
- Provide Process guidance for Product Development projects
- Lead Process Development projects from Concept to Completion (Launch/Kill)
- Manage project information in VelOCity, our corporate stage-gate project management tool
- Work with Plant/Business Leaders to develop a working knowledge of the business case for each project
- Provide training and knowledge transfer to Manufacturing organizations before launch
- Communicate effectively with people at all levels and placement within the organization
Protect OC Intellectual Property
- File Invention Records on all innovations early in the innovation process
- Write and file technical and memo reports in a timely manner, writing at least 2 reports annually
- Understand and ensure communication with non-OC contacts is covered under NDA when applicable
- MSc in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or similar field
- 3-5 years of experience in a process research & development environment
- Proficiency in CAD (AutoCad, Solidworks or similar)
Ability to travel 25%
- Exposure to an industrial operating environment
- Demonstration of safe work practices
- Leadership of interdisciplinary teams to achieve a common goal
- Demonstrated ability to generate new and innovative process designs/improvements in continuous manufacturing processes
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Effective communicator
- Willingness to stop any job or task without hesitation to address a safety concern
- Proficient in Microsoft PowerPoint and Excel/Minitab
- Able to understand a broad range of technical issues and demonstrates unconventional out-of-the-box thinking in approaches to problem resolution
- Makes data-driven decisions and focuses on the root cause of the problem
- Self-starter who works with minimal supervision that balances multiple assignments; works effectively across technology, marketing, and production groups to ensure project success.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company’s market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 16,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 62 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
Back to top