Entry Level Crew Person
Location: Newark, Ohio – United States
Job Title: Entry Level Crew Person
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company’s market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 15,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500© company for 61 consecutive years.
Additional information is available at www.owenscorning.com.
The Owens Corning’s Newark, Ohio facility is currently accepting applications for entry level production / warehouse positions. Final placement will be based on the openings available at the time the positions are filled. The entry level Crew Person Position is critical to the performance and continued growth for the Newark, Ohio facility. The Crew Person and Warehouse Lift Truck Operator is an hourly position and reports to the Shift Leader.
The employee is an entry level crew person and is accountable for product selection, packaging, utility and other miscellaneous processes. This includes: visual inspection, fabrication, equipment utilization, vehicle operation, salvaging of products and loading them onto conveyances. This position also includes: troubleshooting, clearing jams, equipment setup and adjustments, cleaning and replacement, quality, etc. In order to perform these responsibilities, the associate, to the extent required, utilizes a set of core responsibilities and exhibits core behaviors required to achieve the business goals.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Visually inspects, selects and packages products according to requested specifications
- Positions, loads, and unloads, ware trucks and racks
- Disposes of off-quality material or other waste material
- Re-piles, re-labels or repacks finished goods as directed
- Notifies appropriate personnel of any equipment or quality problems
- Participates in Oven Clean Outs (OCO’s), Regular Clean Outs (RCO’s), rebuilds and other downtimes
- Assists in adjustment of equipment and in moving materials
- Assists in clearing jams and in arranging the work area during job changes
- Packs, tapes, and loads boxes on trucks
- Chalks, labels or otherwise marks products as directed
- Hauls cullet
- Performs cleanup duties as required
- Assists supervisor in training
- Able to safely perform operator base care
- Participates in the safety and good housekeeping programs as established within the plant
- Performs other related duties consistent with the nature of the job as directed by the supervisor
- Complies with all plant rules, safety regulations and maintains a clean and orderly work area
- Complies with attendance policies
Warehouse Lift Truck Operator:
The Material Handler is an hourly position and reports to the Warehouse leader. The Material Handler is responsible for operating the lift truck (with fork and grab) and loading and unloading rail vans utilizing the distribution management system.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Uses lift truck (fork and grab) and other related material handling equipment to load and unload finished goods for warehousing, fabrication and shipping.
- Performs operator inspection of forklift on each shift; checks various lift truck component systems for malfunctions, replenishes fuel supply, and completes vehicle inspection form.
- Visually inspects and prepares rail vans prior to loading. Loads materials according to predetermined load patterns. Ensures correct products and quantities are loaded.
- Assists with physical inventories as assigned
- Performs cleanup (including, but not limited to, restacking, scrap hauling, delivering products to line for repack, etc.).
- Utilizes Warehouse Management System to control material for inventory, loads, unloads and scrap material.
- Converts lift trucks to grab trucks or fork lifts.
- Load material from line, as required, utilizing the Warehouse Management System.
- Issues vehicle seals, distributes packing slips and tier lists to loaded rail vans.
- Activates on board terminal for work assignments; reacts to on screen instructions and inputs responses.
- Participates in the safety and good housekeeping programs as established within the plant.
- Complies with all plant rules and safety regulations.
- Performs other related duties consistent with the nature of the job as directed by the supervisor.
Requirements for the Position
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent is required.
- One year minimum experience in manufacturing or warehouse/distribution environment is required (Military service with honorable discharge in lieu of manufacturing, warehouse/distribution)
- Must complete and successfully pass the following WorkKeys® to be considered.
- Locating Information – Must score a 4 or higher
- Reading for Information – Must score a 4 or higher
- Workplace Observation – Must score a 3 or higher
Essential Physical Requirements/Work Environment
This position requires:
- Regular attendance on site and the ability to work varying or rotating 12 hour shifts
- Exposure to hot/cold temperature – continuously
- Exposure to noise – continuously
- Lifting/Carrying/Moving up to 50 pounds
- Standing – continuously (crew person)
- Sitting – continuously (warehouse)
- Handling (holding, grasping) – frequently
- Wrist motion (repetitive flexion/rotation) (warehouse)
- Hand/Eye coordination – continuously
- Walking – frequently
- Twisting – frequently
- Wearing respirator protection – frequently (crew person)
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
- Employer conducts a physical and drug screen.
- Will be required to complete a background check.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company’s market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 15,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 61 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
Back to top