Capital Sourcing Leader
Location: Granville, Ohio – United States
The Capital Sourcing Leader – Strategic Contracts is responsible for establishing the strategic commercial contracts and management of relationships for capital projects. The position will work with business unit Capital Delivery Leaders to develop effective capital strategies for projects with an emphasis on major projects and programs in the 1 to 3 year timeframe. Collaborate with the entire Global Capital Sourcing team, as well as the project team members and business unit Capital Delivery Leaders, to execute efficient and cost effective solutions. This position is responsible to ensure the right type and number of agreements are established and maintained to meet the ever changing Capital environment. This position is also responsible to ensure best practices and suppliers are shared across the business units.
The Capital Sourcing Leader reports to Director, Capital Sourcing
Span on Control: up to three direct reports
- Setting or Developing Strategy
Based on overall Capital plan, including both major growth projects and repetitive furnace rebuild projects, establish Capital Sourcing strategies for the next 1 to 3 years. Average annual Capital spend is approximately $300MM to $400MM.
- Information gathering by meeting regularly with Business Unit Capital Delivery Leaders to ensure we focus on the correct issues.
- Establish strategies and relationships based on needs of the business units and best opportunities in the market place considering possible financial value, possibility of success and available resources.
- Contract Management of new and existing agreements to ensure they are a fit for the current business needs. This may mean dropping existing agreements, establishing new agreements, modifying existing agreements or maintaining them as-is.
- Help manage contracts in accordance within the Levels of Authority Policy and other corporate policies of the Company
- Frequency of contract utilization on Capital Projects
- Tangible savings on strategic agreements
- Executing Strategy and Project Execution
Ensure strategies are executed to meet objectives, including overall business case assumptions established by business units. This includes ensuring metrics are established to evaluate success level of each initiative. Participate in Project Execution by being the Sourcing Representative of select projects each year.
- Include metrics, surveys, evaluations or whatever is appropriate to ensure periodic evaluations or measurements are made or taken. If expectations are not being met take corrective actions as required to ensure the program is back on track.
- Perform role of Capital Sourcing representative on multiple projects during the year to maintain skill set required to do the job as well as have first-hand knowledge of the tools and suppliers we use to execute our capital projects.
- MRO considerations must incorporated into every capital project with special focus on major projects and or major MRO opportunities on any project no matter what the size. Focus on financial impact of the opportunity so resources are utilized on the right things.
- Savings generated on capital projects
- Value of spare parts reduced, either actual required or what is “on the books”, through working with suppliers and MRO providers
- Lead by Example
Be a leader of positive influence and change the areas that should be improved upon to better support our company’s growth plan and ensure integrity to our processes.
- Collaboration by ensuring that multiple voices are being heard from cross-functional disciplines. Followed by, a better outcome than any one person’s perspective could have delivered. Create an environment utilizing collaboration to drive unprecedented results.
- Transparency established in term sheet and contracts that explain complete information that allow for senior leaders to make informed business decisions.
- Utilization of collaboration space in Granville – Building 11
- Measurement of past ‘failed’ or new initiatives that have turned into actual value-add results.
- Utilization of Global Sourcing Standard’s business case and term sheet formats on each contract.
- Executing Operations
- Sox/Polices: Assure adherence to all corporate and sourcing policies including clearly identifying non-compliance for violations in quarterly Rep Letters.
- Transactional Excellence: Continuously improve sourcing processes with the objective of minimizing back-office sourcing transaction costs and rework.
- Act as One Company: Leverage spend across the function and business units
- Risk Mitigation: Lead with a view to ensure our Supplier and Risk Management process is delivering results
- Corporate rep letters
- Cross-business unit successes
- Value added by new suppliers
- Leading and Developing Talent
- Continue to raise the bar for individual and team performance.
- Lead by example, motivation, influence, and inspiration to maximize outcomes of individual team members and, to a certain degree, the team as a whole. This includes both the sourcing organization team and the project teams on which the Capital Sourcing Leader participates.
- Continually evaluate resources available against workload to ensure even distribution of assignments and, if external resources are needed the need is identified well in advance so appropriate temporary resources can be engaged.
- Create teamwork across department functions and other company functions to maximize the performance of Owens Corning and the development of people. This could include special assignments for individuals not in sourcing to perform sourcing roles on projects OR for sourcing personnel to perform non-sourcing roles on projects.
- Utilization of staff
- Assignments for sourcing staff outside the organization or utilization of non-sourcing personnel to do sourcing work.
Minimum 5 years of experience in global sourcing environment; in addition, must have a minimum of 5 years of Operations, Engineering, or other highly technical background experience;
Demonstrated success in implementing best practices or programs throughout a business unit or across business units;
Strong negotiating and contract management skills;
BS degree in Business, Engineering, Operations or related field is required; MBA and/or JD is highly desirable. CPM certification is a plus.
Knowledge and Skills:
In-depth Supplier and Industry Knowledge; position also requires a thorough knowledge of the engineering, construction and manufacturing business, markets and industry, including well-developed technical and commercial knowledge of Facilities, Equipment, and Engineering and Construction sectors that provides competitive advantage in support of capital execution and technology needs.
Project Management Leadership; demonstrated ability to lead all commercial aspects of complex projects to successful and on-time completion. Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of budget formulation, administration, capital program budgeting, resource allocation, program and supplier evaluation, and reporting.
Ability to communicate effectively; proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders. Highly effective at initiating and leading cross-functional teams by building internal and external relationships that create alignment.
Process-oriented; utilizes strong analytical skills, creative problem solving capabilities, advanced strategic procurement methodologies, sourcing approaches, and techniques to develop project sourcing strategy that delivers value and productivity through inflation offsets, cost reductions, strategic partnering, LCC etc.
Abilities and Personal Characteristics:
Change agent. Comfortable designing for the future, while managing day-to-day project requirements. Never satisfied with status-quo, continually striving for excellence, but in a collaborative spirit. Ability to operate and execute effectively in a dynamic, fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and challenging deadlines.
Results Oriented. Energetic, resourceful, with strong service orientation and positive can-do attitude. Fully committed to the job and to delivering outstanding results.
Strategic Thinker. Forward-thinking and creative individual with the ability to take difficult situations and turn them into positive opportunities.
Confident/ Strong Presence. Ability to facilitate senior level reviews and concurrence on sourcing strategies, including sponsorship and resource allocations.
Highly Ethical. Can be trusted to do only the “right thing” for the company, shareholders, and others. Follows a balanced approach without compromising integrity.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company’s market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 15,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 61 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
Back to top